• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

8 Canadians killed in Israeli airstrikes, Ottawa sends ships for evacuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark

Inactive
Reaction score
Eight Canadians were killed on Sunday in an Israeli air raid that hit a Lebanese town on the border with Israel, Ottawa says.

Six other Canadians were in critical condition after the strike in the town of Aitaroun, said Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay.

The victims were not immediately identified.

Lebanese TV reports said some of the victims were from the same family and had come from Canada to spend the summer holidays in the town.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/16/lebanon-canadians.html

How long will it take for those ships to get there ?

[edit] more info added

Shared under the Fair Dealings provision..... yada yada

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/16/lebanon-canadians.html

Air strike kills 8 Lebanese-Canadians
Last Updated Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:30:49 EDT
CBC News
Eight Canadians were killed on Sunday in an Israeli air raid that hit a Lebanese town on the border with Israel, Ottawa says.

Six other Canadians were in critical condition after the strike in the town of Aitaroun, said Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay.

The victims were not immediately identified.

Lebanese TV reports said some of the victims were from the same family and had come from Canada to spend the summer holidays in the town.

Ottawa sends ships for evacuation

Meanwhile, Ottawa is reportedly sending in commercial ships to evacuate any Canadian citizen who wishes to leave Lebanon, which has been pounded ever since Israel and the Lebanese-based militant organization Hezbollah began exchanging rocket fire and heavy artillery on July 12.

"We are securing these vessels. They'll will be in the region as soon as humanely possible," MacKay told Newsworld.

The Foreign Affairs Department says 16,000 Canadians have registered with the government to say they're in Lebanon, while estimating that there are likely two to three times that many in the country.

On Sunday, for the first time since fighting began, Israeli warplanes unleashed bombs on central Beirut, as well as pounding its suburbs and striking a major power station nearby.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah — which spurred the outbreak of violence with a cross-border raid on the Israeli military — carried out a deadly rocket attack on the northern Israeli port of Haifa.

Copyright ©2006 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

Who's up for the NEO Tasking?  Has CSOR taken it over yet?

DF

fastest Mod in the west?

I don't mean to take away from the tragedy of casualties, but 16,000 registered?  And Foreign Affairs indicates that there maybe 2x or 3x that many?

How does that work?  According to Statscan, there are only 146,000 Lebanese-Canadians in total. 

Statscan Ethno-Cultural Portrait:  http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/highlight/ETO/Table1.cfm?Lang=E&T=501&GV=1&GID=0

Matthew.  ???

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I don't mean to take away from the tragedy of casualties, but 16,000 registered?  And Foreign Affairs indicates that there maybe 2x or 3x that many?

How does that work?  According to Statscan, there are only 146,000 Lebanese-Canadians in total. 

Statscan Ethno-Cultural Portrait:  http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/highlight/ETO/Table1.cfm?Lang=E&T=501&GV=1&GID=0

Matthew.   ???

Does not necessarily mean that only Lebanese Canadians are travelling to Lebanon....

Not really that many when you think about it. A single cruise ship with a package tour from here that stops in Beirut could account for 200-300 Canadians. It’s high season for Mediterranean and Aegean Cruises right now. Mind I don't know off hand if Beirut is a regular cruise ship destination now.

In addition 16,000 out of 146,00 is not really a high percentage if you take the following into account. It’s summer and the kids are out of school. For most families this would be the only time to take a trip back to the old country to visit relatives.

Is it just me or can anyone remember the previous Government's publically announcing such an evacuation plan?

Also remember that Stats Can relies on self-reporting - there could be a number that have some Lebanese ancestry, and just say they're Canadian.  I would imagine there might be more than one person who prefers being Canadian to Lebanese when the IDF comes calling....

I agree with you news. Maybe they were innocent's in the wrong place at the wrong time,but its a great place to get training right on the Israeli border. Call me jaded.

Call me jaded

Jaded.

My neighbour's wife and kids are there right now, visiting the grandparents for the summer.  The kids are 3 and 6.  They are also Christian.

Not everyone who visits the Middle East is undergoing terror training, T6.

I also have friends there visiting family. One is christian with his family of 5. The other is muslim went with his family of 6, they went back to visit and for a wedding.  So like SeaKingTacco says.

Good job for the JSS when we have finally them, if they are in the right area to quickly react. In fact, maybe this is justification for a few more and to increase our frigate strength for maintaining a small permanent force of 1 JSS and 2FFG's in that part of the world.

tomahawk6 said:
I agree with you news. Maybe they were innocent's in the wrong place at the wrong time,but its a great place to get training right on the Israeli border. Call me jaded.

My MCpl, a status Indian, is married to a Lebanese girl.  Both solid Canucks.  His dad is a retired Royal Canadian.  She has family in the old country, Christians all.

Jaded you are.

tomahawk6 said:

I wasn't thinking about "training".  If anything I was leaning towards Canada being a "citizenship of convenience" with their primary residence being in Lebanon.

Regardless, I'll drop the line of inquiry now as this is probably an inappropriate time to discuss this....

My apologies to anyone who I've offended.

Matthew.  :salute:

I wasn't thinking about "training".  If anything I was leaning towards Canada being a "citizenship of convenience" with their primary residence being in Lebanon.

Hey, who is to say with certainty what the status is of everyone with a Canadian passport who happens to be in Lebanon actually is.  I was just pointing out the one case I was personally familiar with.

I apologize for any innocent parties that I offended.
T6- no offence taken.  Just adding to the dialectic...  :)

Cdn Blackshirt said:

Excellent point. I agree.

Apologies here for any offense, too - I meant more Canadian nationals who may be living in LBN.

Usual disclaimer......

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/060717/1/424rl.html

Canada says seven killed in Lebanon, revising death toll
17 Jul 06,

Seven Canadians were killed and three others wounded in the south of Lebanon, a spokeswoman for Canada's foreign affairs ministry said.

Earlier, Foreign Minister Peter MacKay said that eight Canadians had been killed.

"According to the latest information available, seven Canadian civilians were killed and three others wounded," said spokeswoman Ambra Dickie.

The Canadian ambassador in Lebanon was in contact with the families of the victims, she added.

The spokeswoman did not confirm reports that at least five of the victims were related or that they may have been killed in the same Israeli air raid.

The foreign minister had also said earlier that six others had been critically injured.

According to Lebanese police, five of the dead were from the same family, killed in an Israeli air attack, which hit their home near the Israel-Lebanon border.

Radio Canada reported that four children were among the victims.

Amid continuing Israeli air raids and Hezbollah rocket attacks on Israel, Ottawa was planning an evacuation of Canadians from Lebanon, MacKay told CTV earlier.

"These ships have been secured, we'll be getting them to a coastal position off Lebanon. We're also working to secure the safe passage of these vessels, and that includes seeking assurance from all the parties there," he said.

About 16,000 Canadians are registered with the Canadian embassy in Beirut, but there could be many more inside the country. There are some 250,000 Canadians of Lebanese origins, and many travel to their original homes during the summer holidays.

Just in case any of you are not aware, unlike many Middle Eastern countries, Lebanon has a very large Christian population.

Also remember that Lebanon was essentially a colony of France  for generations and that many Lebanese speak French.

http://www.cidcm.umd.edu/inscr/mar/data/lebchst.htm

Lebanon's current problems are partly the result of a complex society:

32% Shia
25% Maronite Christian
20% Sunni
10% Palestinian
6% Druze
4% Armenian Christian
3% Other

In the past the Maronite Christians found refuge from Orthodox Christians in Muslim Society.
Israel has found support from Maronites recently.
Druze, Shiite Arabs, that live in Israel have also volunteered in the past, to fight for Israel against Arab states.

Nothing is simple.

Regardless circumstances you can't help but regret the loss of the lives of those kids and anyone else caught up in being at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Now,  as for those that might have known they were on "ground zero" and knowingly put there families there with them.........that is a different story.

I have just seen part of a news conference from Montreal on CBC Dreamworl... errr...Newsworld where the relatives of Canadian citizens who were killed were speaking out.

Apparently Stephen Harper is directly to blame.

(sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back