• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

8 Apr 07 - Sgt Donald Lucas, Cpl Brent Poland, Cpl Aaron Williams, Cpl Chris Stannix (PLF), Pte Kevin Kennedy, Pte David Greenslade - 2 RCR

Lest We Forget

Pilgrims by Robert Service

From Rhymes of the Red Cross Man, 1917

For oh, when the war will be over
We'll go and we'll look for our dead;
We'll go when the bee's on the clover,
And the plume of the poppy is red:
We'll go when the year's at its gayest,
When meadows are laughing with flow'rs;
And there where the crosses are greyest,
We'll seek for the cross that is ours.
For they cry to us: `Friends, we are lonely,
A-weary the night and the day;
But come in the blossom-time only,
Come when our graves will be gay:
When daffodils all are a-blowing,
And larks are a-thrilling the skies,
Oh, come with the hearts of you glowing,
And the joy of the Spring in your eyes.

`But never, oh, never come sighing,
For ours was the Splendid Release;
And oh, but 'twas joy in the dying
To know we were winning you Peace!
So come when the valleys are sheening,
And fledged with the promise of grain;
And here where our graves will be greening,
Just smile and be happy again.'

And so, when the war will be over,
We'll seek for the Wonderful One;
And maiden will look for her lover,
And mother will look for her son;
And there will be end to our grieving,
And gladness will gleam over loss,
As -- glory beyond all believing!
We point . . . to a name on a cross.

Rest in peace........our sincere condolences to the families and friends of these young men who paid the supreme sacrifice.   We wish a speedy recovery to the wounded.   Ubique      :salute: :cdn:

Full disclosure: My name is David Shipley and I am a reporter for the New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal.

First, my condolences to the families and friends of the six Canadian soldiers killed yesterday.

It seems I'm posting here on army.ca only when tradegy strikes. I'm going to have to work on that. I'd like to talk to anyone who knew any of the New Brunswick soldiers who died in the attack. I can be reached at david_shipley[at]rogers.com.

If you'd like to see what kind of stories I do, check out the army.ca threat on CWO Robert Girouard. I posted a story I did there (which included some observations from army.ca members).

niner domestic said:
Lest We Forget

Pilgrims by Robert Service

From Rhymes of the Red Cross Man, 1917

For oh, when the war will be over
We'll go and we'll look for our dead;
We'll go when the bee's on the clover,
And the plume of the poppy is red:
We'll go when the year's at its gayest,
When meadows are laughing with flow'rs;
And there where the crosses are greyest,
We'll seek for the cross that is ours.
For they cry to us: `Friends, we are lonely,
A-weary the night and the day;
But come in the blossom-time only,
Come when our graves will be gay:
When daffodils all are a-blowing,
And larks are a-thrilling the skies,
Oh, come with the hearts of you glowing,
And the joy of the Spring in your eyes.

`But never, oh, never come sighing,
For ours was the Splendid Release;
And oh, but 'twas joy in the dying
To know we were winning you Peace!
So come when the valleys are sheening,
And fledged with the promise of grain;
And here where our graves will be greening,
Just smile and be happy again.'

And so, when the war will be over,
We'll seek for the Wonderful One;
And maiden will look for her lover,
And mother will look for her son;
And there will be end to our grieving,
And gladness will gleam over loss,
As -- glory beyond all believing!
We point . . . to a name on a cross.

Lovely poem and most appropriate. I never had seen it before. Thanks for sharing it.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/53858/post-487981.html#msg487981

Firstly, my deepest condolonces to the families of the Canadian soldiers killed in Sunday's cowardly attack.

The only thing I really know about any of the soldiers in question was that Kevin Kennedy, who is noted in CBC news reports as being from St. Lawrence, NL was originally from the town of St. Vincent's, NL.

:cdn:thoughts and prayers for the fallen and their families, rip brave souls.

In the Event of My Demise 

In the event of my Demise
when my heart can beat no more
I Hope I Die For A Principle
or A Belief that I had Lived 4
I will die Before My Time
Because I feel the shadow's Depth
so much I wanted 2 accomplish
before I reached my Death
I have come 2 grips with the possibility
and wiped the last tear from My eyes
I Loved All who were Positive
In the event of my Demise

6 more brave souls reporting in to guard the streets of heaven.............. Your sacrifice will not be forgotten troops. RIP

:salute:

Peace and prayers to the 6 souls that lost their lives and their families.  And Godspeed to all the brave soldiers over there.  We are grateful every day for what you are doing in the name of our great country.  :cdn:

Soldiers' deaths are 'cost of freedom': MacKay
Updated Mon. Apr. 9 2007 11:09 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay called the deaths of six Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan Sunday "a very serious reminder of the cost of freedom and the cost of these conflicts."

The six soldiers were killed early Sunday afternoon by an apparent improvised explosive device. The bomb detonated, striking their LAV-III armoured vehicle as they guarded a convoy about 75 kilometres west of Kandahar.

An investigation has been launched to determine how one bomb could have killed so many soldiers inside one of the army's best armoured vehicles.

"Our sources here are telling us that there was quite a bit of extra ammunition stacked inside the vehicle. That's pretty normal," Workman said.

"And when the bomb went off, so did some of the ammunition. And that's why such a large number of soldiers died. But that has been not been confirmed, and we have to remember that for now."

Workman had been out on with the soldiers on Saturday night, leaving just hours before the blast. "As you can imagine, it was quite a shock to learn the soldiers I'd shared a campsite with were dead," he said.

Canada had not suffered any combat deaths so far this year. The last two occurred in November 2006, when Chief Warrant Officer Bobby Girouard and Cpl. Albert Storm died in a suicide bombing attack outside Kandahar City.

With a report from CTV's Paul Workman and files from The Canadian Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070408/afghan_soldier_070409/20070409?hub=TopStories

I wonder if that teacher from Newfoundland will write/protest about my friend's death upsetted her Easter.

Venting,
TN2IC

TN2IC said:
I wonder if that teacher from Newfoundland will write/protest about my friend's death upsetted her Easter.

Venting,
TN2IC
Rick Mercer to the rescue, again. sorry to hear about your friend  :salute:  :cdn:

Remembering: 08 Apr 2007, 6 Cdn fallen  -  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/59730.0.html

Really sorry to hear about friends and comrades going down. May they all rest in Peace and let's hope we don't hear of anymore casualties ever.

Back