• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

64 Pattern gone the way of the Dodo?

Dog

Inactive
Reaction score
Recent research has proven to me that it's easy to find a 64 pattern ruck... I almost jumped at the chance to buy one, but since the new CTS ruck is being released into the system, I was wondering if it would be worth the expense, because rumour has it that once you've been issued the CTS ruck, you can't use previous versions. Is there any truth to this? Would there be a point in getting one?

Your rumour may be a unit policy, as I don't see jumpers giving up the 64 pattern any time soon.

If your unit is using the new CTS ruck and only the CTS ruck, don't bother with a 64 pattern.  If your unit cares not which ruck you wear, invest in a 64 only after you have decided that the issued CTS ruck does not suit your needs.

Remember, if you have issues with the new ruck, fill out a UCR, and have others do the same!

RCR Grunt said:
Your rumour may be a unit policy, as I don't see jumpers giving up the 64 pattern any time soon.

If your unit is using the new CTS ruck and only the CTS ruck, don't bother with a 64 pattern.  If your unit cares not which ruck you wear, invest in a 64 only after you have decided that the issued CTS ruck does not suit your needs.

Remember, if you have issues with the new ruck, fill out a UCR, and have others do the same!

Edmonton is/has been kitted with the new ruck; CPC will be kitted in May.

The problem with the jumpers right now is not the ruck, but rather the para drop bag (PDB) as it is still awaiting final approval for contract at PWGSC. In the meantime, 64pattern ruck frames are being procured from CP Gear using DLR funding.

The 64 pattern will disappear once the PDB contract get awarded, and they get online and into the sup system for distribution & issue.

(Current info provided to me effective 20 minutes ago)

Hope this helps.

That will have given the Rucksack, Universal, C2 (erroneously called the "64 pattern rucksack") an even longer service life than the 1951 pattern large pack (1951 - 1964 in Reg svc (replaced by the Cargo Pack 1964) and 1951 - 1982 in Mo svc (repl by the 1982 pattern Large Pack).

TCBF said:
That will have given the Rucksack, Universal, C2 (erroneously called the "64 pattern rucksack") an even longer service life than the 1951 pattern large pack (1951 - 1964 in Reg svc (replaced by the Cargo Pack 1964) and 1951 - 1982 in Mo svc (repl by the 1982 pattern Large Pack).

Mother of gawd ...   :-\

It's so scary -- it's almost funny.   :D

TCBF said:

don't post that here  ;D, CTS may get an idea  ::)

Steel Badger said:
Yeah, the return of the cargo pack :eek:

For its time, the Cargo Pack was actually somewhat forward looking, given that it was specifically designed for mech forces.  Hence the frameless design allowed it to be stowed inside a vehicle more easily than a pack with a rigid frame.  If all you're doing is carrying your kit short distances to and from the vehicle, something like the Cargo Pack is not too bad. 

Hence 3 Mech Cdo in Baden in the early seventies - all Cargo Pack 1964.  No way you could have stored a sections worth of C2 Rucks in those M113s, but you could with cargo packs and sleeping bag carriers (valise).

As an aside, my son was issued the new pattern ruck and brought it home for me to look at. I tried it on, and its about 1000% better than the latest pattern...which is OMG that was 25 years ago!!! Anyways, I'm looking forward to being issued this new ruck ( if I'm not retired) as it sits on the hips and not the shoulders. It may take a bit to get used to it, but I'm thinking it will be OK.
Has anyone used it extensively, and if so, how is it? :cdn:

RCR Grunt said:

When you receive the new ruck, you also get the instruction on it.  At the end of the instruction, don't let the instructor leave until you are satisfied.  I only had one guy still complaining about it in Edmonton when I issued them in Dec.  These things are customizeable, and fit any shape, except the absolute extremes.  When people were complainnig about shoulder pressure, you simply move the hip belt lower under the lumbar pad, which raises the shoulder attachment points.  They are issued in 4 sizes, and each size can be adjusted up or down a bit more than an inch.  In issuing the ruck, I only met two guys that could not fit it, one was a hefty fellow that would need a custom belt to fit his hips/waist, and the other was a super human that exceeded the sizing for the fitting jig,a nd will require a custom rucksack, but will fit the shoulder straps and hip belt.  Come to the new ruck with an open mind, even the guy that told me at the start of the class "I already dropped 2K on aftermarket gear, this thing is just going to suck" grudginly admintted that it may be worth his use instead of investing in another 5-6 hundred dollar OTS Militarized ruck.  If all the adjustment doesn't help, then talk to supply, and they will have a solution to your problem.  The reason that it may appear that you are not "allowed" to continue using your 64 after issue of the new one is that the troop is required to return whatever ruck they currently hold on their TI card, and sign for the new one.  Some people may change this to a "you got the new one, you wear the new one" rule.

OldSolduer said:
As an aside, my son was issued the new pattern ruck and brought it home for me to look at. I tried it on, and its about 1000% better than the latest pattern...which is OMG that was 25 years ago!!! Anyways, I'm looking forward to being issued this new ruck ( if I'm not retired) as it sits on the hips and not the shoulders. It may take a bit to get used to it, but I'm thinking it will be OK.
Has anyone used it extensively, and if so, how is it? :cdn:

OldSolduer,

The new ruck is only in the infancy of it's initial issue phase.

There is a thread happening in the Gear Review sub-board, but it's not too extensive as of yet. Hopefully, as this kit reaches out and touchs some more personnel --- some more posts begin to show.

Here's the link:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/69575.0.html

Back