• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

Just like those list of Communists in the 50's.....aren't you proud of being part of Mccarthyism?
At this point with all the criminal indictments and information that’s out publicly about the oathkeepers affirming them as violent extremists, anyone who wants to remain affiliated with them has made their choice. It’s not some ‘freedom!’ LARPing club. A bunch are currently up on sedition charges, with some already pleading guilty.

America absolutely has a relatively small but real problem with hard-right extremism among some current or former police and military. The court records are there to show it. Why pretend otherwise?

Anyone who thought this was a cool kids’ club some years ago and signed up for it is free to disavow it and acknowledge that any prior affiliation or participation was poorly thought out. Accountability is most meaningful when self-initiated.

At this point with all the criminal indictments and information that’s out publicly about the oathkeepers affirming them as violent extremists, anyone who wants to remain affiliated with them has made their choice. It’s not some ‘freedom!’ LARPing club. A bunch are currently up on sedition charges, with some already pleading guilty.

America absolutely has a relatively small but real problem with hard-right extremism among some current or former police and military. The court records are there to show it. Why pretend otherwise?

Anyone who thought this was a cool kids’ club some years ago and signed up for it is free to disavow it and acknowledge that any prior affiliation or participation was poorly thought out. Accountability is most meaningful when self-initiated.

stage informing GIF by South Park

Kyle Young was just handed 86 months after pleading guilty to a single count of assaulting a police officer, officer Michael Fanone.

Between this, and the recent 87 month sentence for a conviction at trial for non-violent offences, we’re beginning to see a clear trend of stiff sentences for any violent offences, and for any convictions not resultant from a guilty plea.

The cases that go through trial are of course going to tend towards taking longer. I expect over the next year we’ll see some pretty long sentences in the cases with violence.

Four more members of the ‘Oathkeepers’ militia have been convicted at trial of Seditious Conspiracy (and other felonies).

Not sure when sentencing will be; their leader Stewart Rhodes is to be sentenced for the same offense in April.

Story Link
Chansley due to credits is moved to a halfway house.

Jan. 6 'Shaman' Jacob Chansley Moved to Halfway House​

Jacob Chansley, the man known as the Jan. 6 "Shaman," has been moved from federal prison to a halfway house, according to records from the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
"Recent changes have been made regarding First Step Act assessments such that the 28-day assessment will count as the first, and that an inmate will be able to earn 15 days after two assessments rather than three," a Federal Bureau of Prisons spokesperson told CBS News.
"These additional time credits were calculated during the last scheduled application rollout in March 2023. Therefore, these changes will allow inmates to earn the extra five days of time credit for every 30-day period."

Enrique Tarrio, leader of the Proud Boys, and several of his colleagues in that organization have been convicted of seditious conspiracy in relation to the January 6th insurrection attempt. They join several senior members of the Oath Keepers militia in being convicted of sedition.

Sentencing is pending for both the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys seditionists.

Enrique Tarrio, leader of the Proud Boys, and several of his colleagues in that organization have been convicted of seditious conspiracy in relation to the January 6th insurrection attempt. They join several senior members of the Oath Keepers militia in being convicted of sedition.

Sentencing is pending for both the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys seditionists.

I thought part of Tarrio's defense blaming former President Donald Trump was well argued by his defense team.
I keep waiting for DJT's indictment for Sedition and Seditious Conspiracy, because a lot of the stuff used to convict the PB and OK's fits on him as well...

I thought part of Tarrio's defense blaming former President Donald Trump was well argued by his defense team.
I keep waiting for DJT's indictment for Sedition and Seditious Conspiracy, because a lot of the stuff used to convict the PB and OK's fits on him as well...
Even though Trump deserves to be indicted for sedition, I’ll be very surprised if it happens. And if he does, I will be even more surprised if he is convicted. Still…one can always hope. Which puts me at odds with members of my extended family back in the Midwest U.S. who dote on every word he says, as if he is the new Messiah.

What did Trump do that is worthy of a sedition indictment besides living rent free in your heads?

The politicians want to tell a story one way in the media; the prosecutors want to tell it differently in the courts. Overall they want to have it both ways.

Reasons for the lattter here.
That article is somewhat lacking (I wanted to say disingenuous, but I’ll hold back on that) in that it ignores the existence of an ongoing federal special counsel led criminal investigation into the role played in Jan 6th events by people who weren’t there.

With a number of seditious conspiracy convictions entered across two groups, and sentencing yet to have taken place, I have zero doubt that investigators are exploring whether the sedition rose any higher.

Now, I’m not suggesting it did. I don’t believe we will see Trump or any of his inner circle charged in relation to sedition. But the article’s failure to even mention that ongoing investigation is a significant weakness in its thesis.

A new high score has been set in January 6th sentencing- roughly 14 and a half years for assaulting multiple police officers with weapons plus the various additional counts e.g. obstruct official proceeding. Of note, the convicted, Peter Schwartz, has a lengthy criminal record of violence, and was quite unrepentant for his actions on January 6th.

There’s a visible trend of those convicted for assaulting police are getting some long sentences, even (though less so) with guilty pleas.

Speed’s conduct on Jan. 6 ”was one step on a disturbing path toward racially motivated criminal conduct — that ultimately featured plans for the kidnapping and mass murder of civilians,” prosecutors wrote.

Back