• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

.50 cal Heavy Machine Gun

Danjanou said:
Of course the question remains that if in 10 or 15 years we decide that we need to start using them again, who's going to remember how to, and not just weapons drills but proper deployment etc. Look at how few serving members on this site actually have experience with the weapon now. What are they going to do call us old dinosaurs out of retirement to run ad hoc HMG courses?

Another skill set that will eventually disappear from the military.

Well-not necessarily.The .50 is in regular use by US forces right now, so we can see its effectiveness. The decision to start using them again will probably come alot sooner than that, especially as we continue to develop our light forces (not much scope for a 25mm CG there...). As well, we still have a cadre of people left who have used the weapon, although this is a dwindling group. Finally, even if we lost that cadre, remember that we can always start from scratch, just like we do any time a new weapons system is introduced: the .50 cal was a brand ne gun once. Cheers.

I still fire it every year for two days,granted it's not in the infantry roll but still do know how to use it and strip,clean and do repairs and it's great now that the problems with the QCB are fixed. ;)

My unit(G&SF) has recently been given 32CBG's direct fire tasking. Which means we are aupposed to be responsible for the bulk of the direct fire support for the brigade. I have been hearing things about getting .50s, but i am more expecting a ML full of C6's. O will keep posted, unless someone else knows anymore about it.

foerestedwarrior said:
My unit(G&SF) has recently been given 32CBG's direct fire tasking. Which means we are aupposed to be responsible for the bulk of the direct fire support for the brigade. I have been hearing things about getting .50s, but i am more expecting a ML full of C6's. O will keep posted, unless someone else knows anymore about it.

a bit off but the other night i was down on bayfield street and it looked like a bunch of ML's got lost going to borden

Well they may be gone from the militia and some units but here in 1 RCR we still have 4 .50s per rifle company (yes down from 14).We continue to train on and use them quite often,in fact I am running a .50cal shoot next month,with all the ammo I want.Seems like the rest of the brigade doesn't fire theirs anymore for some reason..oh well more ammo for us ;D

MG lucky you...

We had to steal a few from 3VP to do our qual's as we dont hold them anymore  ???

Back