• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

40 year anniversary of the Canadian flag

JasonH

Inactive
Reaction score
40 year anniversary of the Canadian flag

February 15, 2005

Forty years ago, on February 15, 1965, the first Maple Leaf flag was raised above the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, marking the culmination of a lengthy national debate and a new era of Canadian identity, just prior to 1967's centennial celebrations.

By 1914, many Canadian soldiers were wearing a maple leaf as part of their military badges during World War I. In 1939, numerous Canadian troops had once again used the maple leaf as a distinct national emblem.

Under the leadership of Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson, the Liberal Party of Canada believed it was time to give Canada a flag of its own. Early in 1964, Pearson informed the House of Commons that the government wished to adopt a new and distinct national flag for Canada.

John Matheson, Liberal MP for Leeds, Ontario, became the MP who led the creation of a new flag. A lawyer by trade prior to his election in 1961, he was also a war veteran. Matheson was widely regarded as a key supporter of a new flag, and played a key role in its final development.

The Progressive Conservatives, led by former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker, fought hard to keep the old Red Ensign British flag. The Tories even conducted a filibuster on a routine bill in July to delay the flag debate. The Tories succeeded because the debate among average Canadians heated up as well. Newspapers conducted surveys, printed letters, and proposed flag versions.

By September, there was a total impasse. Pearson called all of the other party leaders, together and developed a compromise: an all-party flag committee, of the House of Commons and Senate, which could work more collaboratively to arrive at a new design. Matheson was offered the Chairmanship of the committee, but declined, knowing he was perceived to be too close to Pearson. He did however sit on the committee.

The Special Committee on a Canadian Flag was appointed September 15, 1964. It reflected the makeup of a minority Parliament, held 45 meetings and received about 2000 submissions from across Canada.

Dr. George Stanley, Dean of Arts at the Royal Military College in Kingston, drew attention to a Commandant's flag at RMC, pointing to the emblem of a fist on a red and white background. Stanley's eventual single maple leaf design was also inspired by Canada's 1904 Olympic uniforms and the use of a maple leaf by Canadian military regiments abroad.

By late October of 1964, the Special Committee on a Canadian Flag had formed a short list of three designs:

"¢ A British Red Ensign with the French fleur-de-lys and the Union Jack
"¢ The design with three red Maple leaves
"¢ A red flag with a single, stylized Maple Leaf on an even, white square in the middle, in essence, Stanley's design.

After the process of a heated debate, filibusters, committee submissions, and debates, Parliament finalized its vote on December 15, 1964, agreeing on a single red maple leaf on white background on a red flag. The Senate endorsed the vote two days later. Work continued, however, on finer details such as the actual design of the maple leaf. Cabinet finally approved the design as we know it on December 23, 1964, and Canada requested that the Queen of England approve the new flag.

The maple leaf flag was officially proclaimed into law on February 15, 1965, by Queen Elizabeth II, and the new flag was raised at a high noon ceremony on Parliament Hill.

Prime Minister Pearson marked the occasion with a speech that day, noting that: "If our nation, by God's grace, endures a thousand years, this day, the 15th day of February, 1965, will always be remembered as a milestone in Canada's national progress.â ? He continued: "This ceremony today is not a break with history but a new stage in Canada's forward march from a group of separate and scattered and dependent colonies, to a great and sovereign Confederation stretching from sea to sea and from our southern border to the North Pole.â ?

John Matheson, became Pearson's Parliamentary Secretary in 1966, and served in that capacity until 1968, when Pearson stepped down.

The maple leaf flag endured, and since 1995, the thirtieth anniversary, February 15 has been National Flag of Canada Day.

:salute: :cdn: :salute:

http://www.national-anthems.net/files/1614_MP3_80db1726342380df251d5e78aceeeb8f/canadaX.mp3      :cdn:   :salute:

And a decade later, Regina celebrates the 50th anniversary of Canada's flag by flying... the Austrian flag.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/austrian-flag-among-canadian-flags-an-error-city-of-regina-says-1.2960087

If they were flying the  Peruvian flag I might understand but the Austrian ? -

I love how the Liberals and their fellow travellers are trying to promote ahisotoric anniversaries to keep their narrative alive. Really, the 30 year anniversary of the charter or the 40 year anniversary of the flag?

There are pretty well founded customs pertaining to anniversaries, and quarter, half, 3/4 and full centenaries are the customary dates to celebrate (unless you are talking about your marriage, in which case it is annual  ;) ). I could only imagine the faux outrage should someone propose a 30 year anniversary celebration of NAFTA in 2024; especially if a Liberal government is in power at the time.

So Liberals and their enablers should cross their legs and wait for the appropriate dates to roll around to celebrate.

Thucydides said:
I love how the Liberals and their fellow travellers are trying to promote ahisotoric anniversaries to keep their narrative alive. Really, the 30 year anniversary of the charter or the 40 year anniversary of the flag?

There are pretty well founded customs pertaining to anniversaries, and quarter, half, 3/4 and full centenaries are the customary dates to celebrate (unless you are talking about your marriage, in which case it is annual  ;) ). I could only imagine the faux outrage should someone propose a 30 year anniversary celebration of NAFTA in 2024; especially if a Liberal government is in power at the time.

So Liberals and their enablers should cross their legs and wait for the appropriate dates to roll around to celebrate.

I'm confused.  Are you suggesting that it is only the 40th anniversary of the flag or that is what happened 10 years ago when the opening post and title of this thread was generated?  I remember (sort of) the debate that swirled around the adoption of the new flag.  I was ten years old at the time - my sixtieth birthday is in a weeks time.  You do the math.

Back