• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

4 Canadians wounded in suicide bombing west of Kandahar city

Bigmac

Inactive
Reaction score
4 Canadians wounded in suicide bombing west of Kandahar city

STEPHANIE LEVITZ

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) - Four Canadian soldiers were injured Saturday morning when a suicide bomber drove into their light-armoured vehicle west of Kandahar City.

The soldiers were on their way to conduct a patrol with Afghan security forces when a vehicle hit their LAV-3 around 6 a.m. local time.

The four soldiers, whose injuries are not considered serious, were sent by helicopter to the multinational hospital at Kandahar Airfield.

Two were treated and released and the other two are still receiving treatment.

All are expected to return to their duties.

The military said the suicide bomber was killed, but no locals or civilians were injured in the explosion, which happened in what was described as a relatively isolated location.

Military spokesman Major Dale MacEachern said the army learns from each improvised explosive device, or IED, attack.

"We will take measures to review and amend our tactics and procedures where required to minimize the risk to our soldiers," he said.

According to a recent study in the Canadian American Strategic review, LAV-3s have been hit nine times by IEDs, including suicide bombers, since October of 2005.

Last April, six soldiers were killed when their LAV-3 struck an IED 75 kilometres west of Kandahar City. Two other soldiers were injured in that explosion.

Saturday's attack comes four days after six more soldiers were killed when their RG-31 Nyala struck a massive bomb west of the city.

The Nyala was thought to provide better protection for Canadian troops from roadside bombs than other vehicles.

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/World/070707/w070717A.html

Speedy recovery soldiers!

I know one of the injured, not very well, but I can say I know him. This is his second time being injured over in Afghanistan, but he is doing fine. Like what was said in the article, their injuries aren't serious and they will get better soon. Speedy recovery to them all  :salute:

I am moreso on edge after the events hit home for me last week. I continue to believe in the mission in Afghanistan...and increasingly so with each sacrifice that is made. But with every roto I have a new list of people to pray for, more friends/family in the sandbox....and for some reason they seem to be increasing. I just wont rest peacefully until all my friends/family are safely back on Canadian soil. But until then, may they all "kick @ss and take names!"

At any rate, I wish the injured a speedy recovery and I send virtual hugs and support to all friends and family back home that are affected.

I'm thankful to hear, that the 4 wounded are on the road back to recovery. I'm with you CdnArtyWife, in sending those virtual hugs and prayers also, to thier loved ones. 

~Rebecca

Back