• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 years for sex assaults of girl cadets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussBar119

Inactive
Reaction score
http://m.en.canoe.ca/news/crime/19020531

COLD LAKE, Alta. – A former Canadian Forces member on a base in northeastern Alberta has been sentenced to three years in a federal penitentiary for assaulting three teenage girl cadets at a summer camp.
The three victims, aged 16 to 19, were assaulted on Aug. 1, 2010 while attending a cadet training camp in Cold Lake, Alta., 300 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.
Ex-Cpl. Alex Lough, a former member of 1 Air Maintenance Squadron at CFB Cold Lake, will serve 34 months, having been given two months off his sentence for time already served.
Lough switched his plea to guilty on the fourth day of the trial, after witnesses testified against him.
Commander Peter Lamont, the judge presiding over the court martial at CFB Cold Lake, told the court that around 3 a.m. that night, a drunken Lough drove to the unlocked buildings where victims were sleeping.
He entered a building, found a young woman and pinned her down on the bed. She kicked him off and he fled. Afterwards, she called 911.
Lough then broke into another building and assaulted another young cadet before moving on his third and final victim, a cadet instructor, in a separate building.
The instructor tried to resist, but Lough told her that if she continued to resist his advances, he would assault someone else.
She cried out, "Stop, not my girls."
The judge told the court that she was forced to strip naked, at which point Lough rubbed her body.
The court heard that Lough was frightened off from continuing the assault by the lights of the arriving military police, who arrested him as he was trying to get into his car to drive away.
The defence noted that Lough was abusing alcohol at the time and had attended a treatment facility the prior year.
The airman was released from his duties last June because of the charges put against him, said CFB Cold Lake Commander Col. Patrice Laroche.

3 years is not enough for the damage these incidents cause for the victims, families, image of the CF and the Cadet movement.

WOW...this guy was a neighbour of mine when he was a teenager.  Can only shake my head.

MM

What a Dirtbag.....

Hope this PoS makes some nice new "Friends" in Prison.... 

Maybe somone can do the same thing to him....

Well this is just grate for the whole Cadet Movement, just as the campaign to get more youth involved was starting to work. I really hope that parents don’t second guess the creditability of Cadets. 

Tommy said:
What a Dirtbag.....

I know you are expressing frustration with a system which failed (again) to protect children, but wishing that sort of thing on another person puts you in the same league with them.

shreenan said:
Well this is just grate great for the whole Cadet Movement, just as the campaign to get more youth involved was starting to work. I really hope that parents don’t second guess the creditability of Cadets.
(Fixed your typo for you) Once the media coverage dies down, and the media move onto the next bright shiny thing, I think most people will realize that this is one pretty bad apple in a pretty big group.

E.R. Campbell said:
Tommy said:
What a Dirtbag.....

I know you are expressing frustration with a system which failed (again) to protect children, but wishing that sort of thing on another person puts you in the same league with them.
Point well made, E.R.C.

This from elsewher.  Note that they state that he wasn't part of the cadet movement.

25 Nov 11 News Release

Alex Lough Sentenced Following Court Martial

COLD LAKE, ALBERTA–(Marketwire – Nov. 25, 2011) – Commander Peter Lamont, a Canadian Forces military judge, has sentenced ex-Corporal Alex Lough to a 34-month term of imprisonment in connection with the assault of three females at the Cold Lake Cadet Summer Training Centre on August 1, 2010.

Mr. Lough will serve his term of incarceration in a civilian federal penitentiary.

As part of his sentence, Mr. Lough will be prohibited from handling or owning firearms for 10 years. The judge also ordered him to register with the federal sex offender registry and provide a DNA sample for the federal DNA databank.

The incident occurred at a cadet accommodations building, Maple Flag Quarters, at Canadian Forces Base Cold Lake. Two of the victims were cadets. The other was a cadet instructor.

The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service laid charges against then-Corporal Lough on August 5, 2010. The charges, as preferred by the Director of Military Prosecutions, were three counts of breaking and entering and committing an indictable offence, two counts of sexual assault, and one count of sexual assault with threat to a third party.

At the time of the incident, Mr. Lough was an aviation technician with 1 Air Maintenance Squadron, 4 Wing Cold Lake. He was not part of the cadet program.

Mr. Lough was released from the Canadian Forces in June 2011 and is now a civilian.

A court martial began on October 24, 2011. Mr. Lough pleaded guilty on October 27, 2011, to an offence in respect to each of the victims: one count of breaking and entering and committing an indictable offence (sexual assault), one count of assault, and one count of sexual assault with threat to a third party.

- mod edit to change link (same content) IAW site owner instructions -

Why be prohibited from handling or owning firearms for 10 years, was there a weapon involved?

Is it pretty much normal for someone found guilty of sexual assault to have a weapons ban placed on them?

Grimaldus said:
Why be prohibited from handling or owning firearms for 10 years, was there a weapon involved?

Is it pretty much normal for someone found guilty of sexual assault to have a weapons ban placed on them?

Almost any charge under the criminal code, doesn't matter what for, comes with a weapons prohibition nowdays. Just part of that great liberal social experiment to disarm everyone in the country except police and military.

Grimaldus said:

The prohibition and DNA are generally requested for all violent offences. If you were convicted of Impaired Operation it is doubtful a weapons prohibition would be applied

recceguy said:
Almost any charge under the criminal code, doesn't matter what for, comes with a weapons prohibition nowdays. Just part of that great liberal social experiment to disarm everyone in the country except police and military.

I'm sure being told he isn't allowed weapons will be enough to stop him from commiting violent crimes in the future.
Same way taking away someones licence stops drinking and driving.

Grimaldus said:
I'm sure being told he isn't allowed weapons will be enough to stop him from commiting violent crimes in the future.
Same way taking away someones licence stops drinking and driving.

It may not be enough to stop the offender from assaulting someone with a weapon, but if there is a prohibition in place then the proverbial "book" can be thorwn at them.

There is much debate over the effect of incarceration - does it rehabilitate criminals? I'd say no - and I am a Correctional Officer - but it does keep them from offending against the public for the time they are in jail.
Too short in some cases.

RussBar119 said:
http://m.en.canoe.ca/news/crime/19020531

3 years is not enough for the damage these incidents cause for the victims, families, image of the CF and the Cadet movement.
I fully agree.  Even though no manner of punishment I'm sure can make these young girls feel fully whole again, at least a severe punishment could have the effect of seeing some justice done on their behalf.  A short sentence to truly effect punishment just has the potential added effect of causing more stress to the victims by them feeling that the system failed them.

Having read this I want to applaud the cadet instructor who, knowing the offender may prey on one of her charges, apparently sacrificed her own well-being to prevent this. Maybe she could have fought him off, and maybe not - but the initial article seems to indicate she protected her cadets by allowing herself to be assaulted. That's a courageous act, she had no way of knowing what the offender was capable of. I don't know what kind of recognition could be given for her selflessness, but she earned it.

x-grunt said:
Having read this I want to applaud the cadet instructor who, knowing the offender may prey on one of her charges, apparently sacrificed her own well-being to prevent this. Maybe she could have fought him off, and maybe not - but the initial article seems to indicate she protected her cadets by allowing herself to be assaulted. That's a courageous act, she had no way of knowing what the offender was capable of. I don't know what kind of recognition could be given for her selflessness, but she earned it.

You are quite correct I don't know many people that would put them selves through that for others.

x-grunt said:

Very well said. I hope they do recognize this act of courage.

She did what I hope any Instructor of Cadets; civilian, Officer or NCO would do. Put the safety and well being of children above their own. I agree we should recognize and support this Instructor for courage shown.

E.R. Campbell said:

No, I'm expressing frustration with a society that continues to waste taxpayer dollars on Feral creatures such as this...  And quite frankly I could care less about occupying moral high ground at this point. I certainly wont loose any sleep if he were to suffer some sort of unfortunate happening while incarcerated...

RussBar119 said:
She did what I hope any Instructor of Cadets; civilian, Officer or NCO would do. Put the safety and well being of children above their own. I agree we should recognize and support this Instructor for courage shown.

Agreed 100%, Though I'm not sure if she would want recognition which would remind her of the incident... She is certainly deserving of it for showing the Courage to do that.

Tommy said:
No, I'm expressing frustration with a society that continues to waste taxpayer dollars on Feral creatures such as this...  And quite frankly I could care less about occupying moral high ground at this point. I certainly wont loose any sleep if he were to suffer some sort of unfortunate happening while incarcerated...

Seeing as you can't take a hint, let me clarify it for you.

We don't condone talk of back alley justice, or similar wishes, on this site. We don't care what YOU want to occupy, it's not your site or rules.

That's the way it is. Don't like it, don't participate.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back