• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 March 2005 - Four RCMP Murdered at Seized Marijuana Grow-Op

it worked for me last week and now it doesn't .....strange
Anyway how would one go about ordering one of these if when it did work I didn't see a mailing address, paypal "Thingy" or phone number

Here's contact info for them if you can't get the site to work.

The True Blue Hero bands can be ordered through the Durham Regional Police Association office in Whitby (905)655-5566. If you have an order of 25 or more you can e-mail the order directly to drice@drps.ca.

Thanks a bunch scm77!  ;D Its good to hear I wasn't the only one who couldn't get onto the site anymore :p.

Reproduced under the fair dealings act. 
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Law/2006/08/04/1719803-cp.html

Mountie issued gag order over Mayerthorpe inquiry
By SCOTT SUTHERLAND

VICTORIA (CP) - A group representing front-line police officers in British Columbia says one of its members has received a gag order from RCMP brass.
The B.C. Federation of Police Officers says Const. Rob Creasser did a radio interview last month suggesting it's taking too long for answers into what happened when four officers were gunned down last year in Alberta.

The interview, with a Kamloops radio station, followed the July killings of a pair of Saskatchewan RCMP officers.

Creasser also questioned on air whether there are enough officers on the force, saying municipal departments have more resources.
Don McKenzie, president of the federation, said that after the interview, Creasser was issued an order to stop commenting in public.
"Here's an individual, a police officer, sworn to protect the public, to be honest and tell the truth, being punished for just that," said McKenzie, a police detective in Abbottsford.

"He drew attention to some manpower shortage issues within the RCMP as well as questioned why there hadn't been anything given to front-line police officers in the province regarding the tragedy in Mayerthorpe."
The federation quoted from the superintendent's order which cited a section of the RCMP Act stating: "A member shall not publicly criticize, ridicule, petition, or complain about the administration, operation, objective or policies of the force."
The order also said the constable's comments are "under review and may result in further investigation."

The RCMP have faced criticism from several directions over the length of time it's taking for the results of their Mayerthorpe inquiry to become public.
After the two Mounties were killed in Spiritwood, Sask., Denis Allchurch, the MLA for the community demanded: "What have we learned or done since that, because it has happened right here in this small community?"

An RCMP spokesman was not aware of the specific order issued to Creasser, but confirmed the regulation, known as Section 41.
"We do not have permission, as members of the force, to publicly criticize the RCMP or the government, or ridicule policies, criticize courts," said Cpl. Tom Seaman. "We're not supposed to and we're not allowed to do that."

He said there are proper channels for officers to voice their concerns internally.
"To take it externally and to go public with those concerns, as you can see, is against regulations," said Seaman.
McKenzie said his group wants to protect the rights of individual officers within the RCMP to speak their mind, adding that the RCMP Act does not supersede the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

"They're muzzling their own members from speaking out when they see something wrong or trying to protect their fellow officers."
He said the federation's concern is that this gag order - coupled with what he called a recent RCMP directive to media relations officers to limit the information they release to reporters - amounts to a "muzzling" of police that may help erode public trust.

Seaman rejects that.
"Our surveys show the public trust level remains very high with communities we serve. We haven't seen anything like that at all," he insisted.
"We are not muzzling our communication officers at all."

Seaman said news reports earlier this week about the media relations directive were referring to a "discussionary paper" that has taken more than 18 months to compile.
The paper suggested the RCMP refrain from speaking too much to the media in an effort to cut back on news reports about crime, which the paper suggests heighten public anxiety.
But Seaman said the RCMP has been successful recently in improving communications.

McKenzie and the federation of police officers disagree.
"I think recently the RCMP have come under fire for some of their practices from a managerial point of view," McKenzie said.
"They are trying to control information to the public. It's all about spinning, about spin-doctoring that is, and making sure the image of the RCMP is not tarnished with fact."

Creasser, vice-president of the B.C. Mounted Police Professional Association, was unavailable for comment.

So I can't believe it's been 2 years Mayerthorpe. It's actually in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_Incident).
A watch-mate of mine was in Brock Myrol's troop. And 2 of my facilitators taught him. Both told us towards the end of training, and both broke down crying as they spoke of him.
Its sad to hear about another Laval officer, especially around this time of year.  No matter what we hear or know of what happened, it's still sad.
It makes me remember just how dangerous our job can be, and to make sure to never treat a call as routine. Who knew that standing at a scene in a tiny place in Manitoba would end like that?
Does anyone else have any ties to Mayerthorpe or the mbrs?

One of my buddies was troop mates with one of the fallen.  Took it pretty hard.  But we learn and move on.  I'm very interested about the "improved body armour" the last report recommended.  Nothing short of hard armour plates would have stopped the rifle that Rozko used.  Are we going to be wearing CF level vests with plates soon?  Uncomfortable, yes, but the majority of the gun owners in Canada (especially in northern communities) own shotguns and hunting rifles.  I've debated buying CAP armour myself. 

My uncle was posted in Mayerthorpe for many years and had many run-ins with Rozko this was one of his worst fears. He said that it wasn't an "IF" Rozko killed someone, it was "WHEN". He wishes he had been in aposition to do something about it....hindsight huh?

Of note since my last post, I have bought two level IV 10 by 12 plates and an Eagle CIRCAS carrier that I have in my cruiser with me at all times now.  I'm not going to be a statistic if I can avoid it....

My detachment, which is integrated with the city police (it's like 5 detachments within the bigger integrated police service) have been doing IARD training. GREAT training if/when another Columbine situation comes upon us. Stressful training, but good to have some idea what you're going into and what do to when the you know what hits the fan. And even in scenarios (love that scenario based training!) they were using blanks in shotguns and stuff, and I know I got pinged (right on the boob, didn't feel it through the vest and the notebook though!) with painball simunition that we were using.
But then again, it's not nearly the same situation as Mayerthorpe. Knowing you're going to be going into a school is one thing, get on scene, put on any heavier body armour you might have in the trunk, but crime scene...who'da guessed.

If only James Roszko would have had the balls to face up for his crimes instill of taking the cowards way out!

No doubt.  I can't help but think that if I am tasked with that kind of scene security or something similar that I will put up with the extra weight and discomfort.  I'm more concerned about the immediate, out of control situation where gunfire may just erupt.  Short of wearing a non-approved carrier with non-approved ballistic plates all day, there is just no way I can prepare for that.  I have heard that members in Alberta are actually Force approved trials on upgraded body armour.  Any truth to that?

Posted with the usual caveats:

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/846301.html

2 charged in Mountie killings

Alberta duo allegedly helped gunman in Mayerthorpe massacre
By JOHN COTTER The Canadian Press | 5:50 AM

EDMONTON — Alberta RCMP have charged two men with four counts of first-degree murder each in the fatal shootings of four Mounties near Mayerthorpe in 2005.

Charged are Dennis Keegan Rodney Cheeseman, 23, and Shawn William Hennesey, 28, both of Barrhead, Alta.

Deputy Commissioner Bill Sweeney said the two men are accused of being a party to what he called the "darkest day in the history of the RCMP."

"Today we have been able to provide Canadians with the first significant update on the Mayerthorpe investigation," Sweeney said Sunday in front of a memorial to fallen Mounties in Alberta.

"Cheeseman and Hennesey are to appear in Mayerthorpe provincial court on July 12."

Gunman James Roszko ambushed the young Mounties on March 3, 2005 at a farm near the town northwest of Edmonton in the RCMP’s greatest loss of life in a single day in more than 100 years.

Roszko, a virulent cop hater, later shot himself.

RCMP said that Cheeseman and Hennesey were not at the farm during the shootings.

The two men are accused of aiding and abetting Roszko, but Mounties won’t say how.

"It is truly recognized that many questions remain unanswered," Sweeney said, noting that the criminal investigation continues.

"We have an obligation and responsibility to respect due process."

Hennesey was arrested without incident only hours before Sweeney announced the charges. Cheeseman was arrested Saturday.

Alberta’s Justice Department has to call a fatality inquiry into the circumstances of the deaths of constables Peter Schiemann, Tony Gordon, Brock Myrol and Leo Johnston. No date for that inquiry has been set.

Schiemann’s sister, Julia, hugged Sweeney at the end of the news conference but declined to comment.

Grace Johnston, the mother of Leo Johnston, said after months of anguish she is heartened by the arrests.

"This is awesome that maybe now we will get some answers," Johnston said in a phone interview as she choked back tears.

"All along I felt, I believed, that someone had to have helped him. There are no words."

RCMP say so far the 28-month investigation has cost $2 million and involved as many as 200 investigators and support staff. Up to 40 officers and staff are working on the case. Sweeney would not say if more arrests are possible.

Cheeseman and Hennesey were known to police and were well acquainted with Roszko, said Assistant Commissioner Rod Knecht.

"They were associates over an extended period of time," he said.

Earlier this year the RCMP completed a report on worksite safety issues stemming from the Mayerthorpe shootings and submitted it to the federal Human Resources and Social Development department.

That report recommended that RCMP in Alberta be supplied with enhanced body armour and review its portable radio communications capability and coverage. It also recommended that night vision equipment be issued to officers working nights.

All three recommendations are being addressed, RCMP say.

While it has not been made public, an internal memo to all RCMP that was leaked to the media in January said a draft report found the direct cause of the deaths was "the premeditated and intentional act by James Roszko, who deliberately planned and executed the murder of four RCMP members."

The memo said the report indicated that Roszko was believed to have hidden in a corner of a Quonset building on the farm and shot the four Mounties with an assault rifle.

RCMP were called to the farm by bailiffs trying to execute a court order. The bailiffs said Roszko drove away from the farm in a white Ford pickup truck.

When officers searched the farm they found a marijuana grow operation and an automobile chop-shop.

Later the four officers entered the Quonset and were gunned down.

A key part of the investigation has focused on how Roszko managed to return to the farm undetected.

Sweeney has said the RCMP has already determined that those in charge of the Mayerthorpe detachment performed reasonably and professionally on the day of the shootings.

However, an RCMP internal review of the handling of events that led up to the shootings is ongoing and won’t be complete until the criminal investigation is over.

"The fact that it took 28 months to reach this point speaks to the fact that every case is unique," Sweeney said.

"Some will be concluded very quickly. Some may take years. Some, sadly, will never reach a successful conclusion."

Mayerthorpe

Mayerthorpe is the gut-wrenching account of the years, months and days leading up to March 3, 2005 - the date well-known local criminal Jimmy Roszko murdered four RCMP officers on his farm.

The movie reveals Roszko's story, a man who terrorized his community for years with threats and intimidation, yet somehow managed to avoid a lengthy jail sentence despite facing numerous arrests and criminal charges.

Mayerthorpe examines the decade-long battle between Roszko (Brian Markinson) and the local RCMP, headed by fictional character Corporal Alex Stanton (Henry Czerny). As their relationship becomes increasingly tense, the movie hurtles towards a violent and bitter conclusion to Roszko's life of crime - the day that many believed was inevitable.

Mayerthorpe is a testament to the strength and dedication of the families of the four slain officers and the RCMP. Valuable input from family members during the process helped set the tone for the movie to be as accurate as possible, both historically and emotionally.

Definitely got a little misty eyed watching this. For me, as a hopeful future mountie, it brought back the pain in my heart just as when I heard the news on that dreadful day it happened.

Rest in Peace Fallen Four

Mayerthorpe changed little

Three years after a violent cop-hater executed four Mounties on his farm northwest of Edmonton, the ideological divide between what people expect from the justice system and reality seems as wide as ever.

Sure, the federal violent-crime bill, which the Tories are pressing the Senate to pass by March 1, is a step in the right direction, with its escalating mandatory sentences for firearms offences.

But a stickier problem remains - the so-called revolving door of repeat offenders who are rarely jailed long enough to convince Canadians that they're being protected.

I thought it was done well... I was less than impressed that the kit was all off.  Different jackets, SBA carriers, and guns.  And did anyone else notice that the character of Roszko kept calling the Corporal a Constable?  Never once corrected.  But that aside, a good accounting of how things are all wrong.  Check out CTV's website.  It has interviews with the cast and families of the slain officers.  Pretty good stuff.

Back