• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 March 2005 - Four RCMP Murdered at Seized Marijuana Grow-Op

Mounties (Brock Myrol, Peter Schiemann, Anthony Gordon & Leo Johnston), Rest in Peace brothers. You haven given everything you have to this still great nation.   :'(

To the criminals of this great nation who think you can do what you want when you want and to whom you want, YOUR DAY IS COMING   :rage:

To our political leaders, when we will design a justice system that protects the greater good and doesn't worry about every little num nuts rights to do just about anything?   :mad:

Call your MPs and demand a stronger and tougher justice system if acts like this make you angrier.

Here is a little info on the fallen officers, it truely is a sad day for the RCMP and a sad day for Canada as well, lets hope the government better equips our officers and finally takes some step to make people accountable for there crimes.....God Bless The RCMP   :salute:

Reg. 48064, Cst. Peter Christopher SCHIEMANN, 25, was born at Petrolia, Ontario, and joined the Force at Stony Plain, Alberta. Upon completion of training at â Å“Depotâ ? in Regina, Saskatchewan, on November 27, 2000, Cst. Schiemann was posted to â Å“Kâ ? Division, Alberta, namely at Mayerthorpe Detachment, where he worked in General Policing and Highway Patrol.

Reg. 48568, Cst. Lionide Nicholas JOHNSTON, 32, joined the Force at Lac La Biche, Alberta, where he was born, and graduated from â Å“Depotâ ? in Regina, Saskatchewan, on April 17, 2001. Cst. Johnston was posted to â Å“Kâ ? Division, Alberta, namely at Mayerthorpe Detachment, where he worked in First Nations Policing and General Policing.

Reg. 49673, Cst. Anthony Fitzgerald Orion GORDON, 28, was born at Edmonton, Alberta, and joined the Force at Red Deer, Alberta. Upon completion of training at â Å“Depotâ ? in Regina, Saskatchewan, on October 15, 2002, Cst. Gordon was posted to â Å“Kâ ? Division, Alberta, namely at Whitecourt Town Detachment, where he worked in General Policing and Highway Patrol.

Reg. 51874, Cst. Brock Warren MYROL, 29, was born at Outlook, Saskatchewan, and joined the Force at Red Deer, Alberta. Upon completion of training at â Å“Depotâ ? in Regina, Saskatchewan, on February 7, 2005, Cst. Myrol was posted to â Å“Kâ ? Division, Alberta, namely at Mayerthorpe Detachment, where he worked in General Policing.

My condolences to the families and co-workers of the fallen officers.  I was really impressed to see that even the flag at Save On Foods here in Prince George was a half mast.  My best friend is a paramedic in northern Alberta, he knew all of the officers that were slain, by his account they were all "great guys".  He also worked on the gunman once (awhile back).  The gunman got drunk and rolled his pickup, my friend responded, the gunman spat at him, and took a swing at his partner.  He spent the night in the tank, but not much else came of it.  I think it was very well put when one of the locals said something along the lines of (I don't have the quote in front of me)  "They knew what this guy was about, but the justice system doesn't have the balls to deal with it"

Rest In Peace gentlemen.

Canadians Stunned Over Mounties Killings

By BETH DUFF-BROWN
Associated Press Writer

TORONTO (AP) -- The slayings of four Canadian police officer have stunned a nation that prides itself on far fewer acts of gun violence than its neighbor to the south.

A bagpiper played "Amazing Grace" and flags flew at half-staff Friday as Canadians grappled with the deadliest attack on police officers in 120 years. The four Mounties were slain during a raid on a marijuana farm in a rural western hamlet on Thursday.

"Canadians are shocked by this brutality and join me in condemning the violent acts that brought about these deaths," Prime Minister Paul Martin said.

The four Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers had been investigating a farm in Mayerthorpe, a small hamlet of some 1,300 people in western Alberta province.

Spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes said the four Mounties and the suspected gunman were found in a Quonset hut on the farm late Thursday. A government source told The Canadian Press the suspect killed himself after shooting the officers.

"The loss of four police officers is unprecedented in recent history," said Bill Sweeney, commanding officer of the Mounties in Alberta. "I'm told you have to go back to about 1885 ... during the Northwest Rebellion to have a loss of this magnitude."

The Northwest Rebellion was an unsuccessful attempt by indigenous rebels to establish an independent nation in the northwestern frontier.

The Mounties, with their bright red tunics and broad-brimmed Stetsons, are as much a national symbol as a police force. Legend has it that the small Northwest Mounted Police, formed in 1873 to bring order to the Canadian west, wore their scarlet tunics so natives could readily distinguish them from the blue-coated U.S. cavalry.

The suspect was identified by police as 46-year-old James Roszko. Authorities said he had a long criminal record, including the use of illegal firearms and sexual assault.

Oakes said the Mounties were investigating reports of stolen property and marijuana on Roszko's property.

Sgt. Rick Oncescu said two SWAT teams were called into the area and Mounties from surrounding jurisdictions also responded when the four officers did not respond to radio calls Thursday afternoon.

A woman played "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes as children laid flowers Friday at the flagpole in front of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police headquarters in Mayerthorpe.

Tracy Eisert, who used to serve the slain Mounties at the local Burger Baron, wept as she carried flowers. "I served these gentlemen where I work and I wanted to say thank you," she said.

"This is something that happens in Hollywood, but it never happens here," Albert Schalm, the town's mayor, told CBC TV. "I think it will change the community. It will just make everybody more aware that there are drug problems, even out here in rural Canada."

As documentary filmmaker Michael Moore pointed out in "Bowling for Columbine," there are few reasons to lock your doors across this vast nation.

There were 152 homicides by firearms in Canada in 2002, according to federal statistics, compared with 11,829 homicides by guns in the United States for that same year. Canada's population is about 32.5 million people; the U.S. population is about 293 million.

A 1995 federal firearms law in Canada requires every firearm in the country be registered and each gun owner licensed.

But Canada is grappling with an increase in organized crime behind the multibillion-dollar marijuana industry.

"It is an unprecedented and unspeakable loss," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Giuliano Zaccardelli said in a statement. "We know that these are the most serious challenges, made complicated by the involvement of organized crime, the availability of weapons and the risks posed by individuals who choose the path of violence and destruction over peace and good."

The officers were armed only with handguns. Some have asked why they did not have better backup and how all four could have been killed by a single gunman.

Police identified the four Mounties as Peter Christopher Schiemann, Anthony Fitzgerald Orion Gordon, Lionide Nicholas Johnston and Brock Warren Myrol.

Myrol, 29, had been on the job for only two weeks.

"He loved the RCMP and all it stood for," his family said in a statement. "Our country is hurting. We have lost four dedicated citizens who were willing to do something about it."

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or

God I despise reporters .. asking such stupid questions about armour and armaments and crap, trying to blow this into something it isn't and all the while officer said about a trillion friggen times that this was a total surprise/ambush and they couldn't have known such a thing.

His point about the police being in a militarized state was good too. WTF does the media idiots expect - police to show up at calls with full body armour, some shotguns on their backs and hey why not, maybe a assault rifle in their hands?

Ayup.
And what will happen when police officers show up serving minor arrest warrants or reacting to noise complaints in head to toe body armor with assault rifles, shotguns, snipers and pyrotechnics? Well the good onld media will be right there to bitch and complain about how the police forces are over reacting, wasting money and resources and not keeping a kindler gentler image.
Reporters thrive on this stuff.

Loss of life occurs.
Media shoves their heads in and starts a frenzi
One government party uses said loss of life as mudslinging against the other parties.

Whatever the ethical argument behind wether pot should be legal or not bla bla, the pot that set in motion the events of these RCMP officers deaths is the same harmless pot people smoke after work to relax, not 'hurting' anyone.

In yesterdays Sydney Sunday Telegraph, those  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn:  :cdn: four Mounties pics (which we have all seen), all in their scarlet serge, and stetsons were on Page 1 of the International Events Section, so if you think this was a national tragedy, think again, it's an international blow to law enforcement throughout the world.

Regards,

Wes

This was one of the most heinous crimes I have seen. Those four brave men died serving their country as well as their community and god bless them and their families! Hopefully a tradgedy like this one will never occur again! I am truely sorry and sad because of this I know several RCMP members and they are all grief stricken and it shows, I dont even know these men but i can feel like I have lost someone important! the man who commited this crime must burn down there for his crimes !!
UBIQUE!!! :salute: :cdn: :salute: :cdn: :salute: :cdn: :salute: :cdn:

This whole situation is horrible, but that twisted man got what he deserved - death.
It's ironic how those who deserve death never get it, but those who deserve life die.
Rest in peace, good men, who have so bravely served our country.
My condolences to the family and friends of these fallen heroes.

First, my condolences to the family and friends of the fallen RCMP.  My condolences to the RCMP.  I don't think I've seen a flag at full-mast from Saskatoon, Regina, Shilo and all points in between.

Onto the media and their questions...
I didn't see the entire press conf - but I was reading about it in the Saturday Globe and Mail - the Cpl fr the RCMP fielding the questions handled himself impecably - I swear he musta been ready to snap his crayons several times over...

But the Globe and Mail attributed a good quote to him - not exact, the paper's in my trunk - "The officers were well-armed.  They had their sidearms, with shotguns and a .308 rifle available.  But we can't go around carrying high-powered weapons everywhere or people would complain, like 'What are we, in a military state?'"

I guarantee - if the police had been more heavily armed and armoured, and even one had survived - there'd be a public outcry for the police to lay down their arms and tickle perpetrator's into submission.

To the families of the fallen I offer my deepest sympathies and condolences....

To the four fallen officers I offer my sincere thanks for their dedication to duty and service to Canada

Steel Badger said:
The shooter will end up in a "Club Fed" resort, where he will be top of the inmate heap as a "Cop Killer"...and probably out on parole a few years hence under the "faint hope clause".....
He is dead too.

For everyones info.

Edmonton Police Service Release:

NATIONAL MEMORIAL SERVICE
University of Alberta
Butterdome Universiade Pavillion
11440 â “ 87 Avenue, Edmonton
1300 hours â “ March 10, 2005

ACCOMODATIONS INFORMATION:

On Thursday, March 10, at 1300 hours a public memorial service will be held in Edmonton at the University of Alberta Butterdome to honour the four RCMP Officers who were tragically killed in the line of duty March 03, 2005.

The Edmonton Police Service anticipates many hundreds of officers from across Canada will travel to Edmonton to attend.  In response we have mobilized an â Å“Accommodations Officeâ ? to billet police officers who wish to stay in private homes while they are here in Edmonton.  We also have some information about available Hotel Accommodations in town.

If you wish to register with us for a potential billet please provide the following information to Bev Atkey at bev.atkey@police.edmonton.ab.ca and we will do our best to help you out.

Number of beds required (if you are more than one traveling together)
Name(s)
Police Agency:
Contact phone numbers for your party:
Arrival date and time:
Mode of travel

We will make every effort to contact you before you leave to travel to Edmonton.  But in the event that we are unable to please keep these numbers handy and contact us as soon as possible.

Further questions please contact: Bev Atkey    bev.atkey@police.edmonton.ab.ca
(780) 421-2636 or (780) 718-6643      2nd Floor â “ Edmonton Police Service â “ Headquarters 9620 â “ 103A Avenue â “ Edmonton.

You may wish to seek further updates on transportation of members to and from the service by visiting the RCMP website at www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca and click on National Memorial Service

RCMP Commanding Officer's Update
2005-03-06

Many have been asking about funeral arrangements and other ways in which we can all pay our respects to our four fallen RCMP members. We have been actively working with the families to discuss this with them and ensure respect for their wishes. There is now some preliminary information available regarding the funerals to assist our members, the police community, our partners, and our country in paying respect to our members and their families.

Further details concerning the memorial service, special airfares, local accommodations and transportation in Edmonton will be forthcoming and will be posted to the RCMP Web site shortly.

National Memorial Service
A National Memorial Service will be held on Thursday, March 10, 2005 at 13:00hrs. at the University of Alberta, Butterdome Universiade Pavillion, 11440 â “ 87 Ave, Edmonton, Alberta. A web page will be available as of Monday to provide additional information regarding travel, accommodations, schedule, etc. at: www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca
Click on â Å“National Memorial Serviceâ ?.

Review Order: Stripped Sam Browne, medals, decorations and mourning ribbon. Officers on parade are to wear the Stetson. Civilians: business attire.

Family Funerals
In addition to the National Memorial Service, the families of our fallen members will be holding separate funerals. While these are private events, the families have extended invitation to members of the police community who wish to attend. The RCMP order of dress for these funerals will be the same as indicated for the Memorial Service.

Information regarding the private funerals is as follows:

Cst. Peter SCHIEMANN,
Tuesday, March 8th, 14:00hrs
St. Matthew Lutheran Church, 5021-52 Ave., Stony Plain, Alberta.
For further information contact: Parkland Funeral Home (780) 963-2520

Cst. Leo JOHNSTON,
Friday , March 11th , 12:00 hrs
Evangelical Free Church, Lac La Biche, Alberta
For further information contact: Park Memorial Funeral Home (780) 786-2533

Cst. Anthony GORDON
Friday, March 11th, 14:00hrs
St. Mary's Catholic Church, # 6 McMillan Ave. Red Deer, Alberta.
For further information contact: Wilson Funeral Home, Lacombe Alberta,
(403) 782-3366

Cst. Brock MYROL
Saturday, March 12th, 14:00hrs
CrossRoads Church, 32nd Street @ Hwy #2, Red Deer, Alberta
For further information contact: Eventide Funeral Home, (403) 347-2222

Donations
A number of requests have been received to establish a trust fund where donations could be directed. This has been discussed with the families and as soon as information is available the details will be communicated.

Condolences
Condolence books have been established across the country by a number of divisions, detachments as well as at Headquarters. In addition, an internal ROSS address has been established for any employee who wishes to forward their condolences via ROSS to Alberta. The address is ALBERTA FALLEN MEMBERS
Members of the police community and the public who access our external web site can also express their respect and thoughts by clicking on the Condolences link available from the main page, or by sending an e-mail to alberta.fallen.members@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

We wish to express our thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers as we prepare for what will continue to be difficult days for us all.

W.M. (Bill) Sweeney, Assistant Commissioner
Commanding Officer K Division

I wish I could be there.  For any members of the RCMP or other Police Forces that post in here and will be attending, my thoughts are with you.  Please give my condolences to any family members that you may speak to.  I would attend, but I am on the CCIT course (Criminal Crash Investigation Team).  Myself and several other members on the course will raise a glass or two in remembrance on Thursday.

Cst. Scott Watson
Prince George RCMP

I'm going to cut class to attend the ceremonies. Would be more appropriate for me to attend in appropriate civilian attire or DEUs?

Our local RCACC payed Tribute to the "Fallen Four" at the opening Parade on Weds evening.  The Ceremony included a talk from the Insp (CO) of the local detachment.  As he called the names of the fallen, a Cadet answered from the ranks.  The local RCL branch did the Last Post ceremony with the laying of the poppies.  Our pipe band closed with the traditional 'Amazing Grace'.

CTV.ca News Staff

RCMP officers are leading colleagues from forces across Canada and the United States, on a two-kilometre procession to the arena where the memorial service is to be held.

Following a quartet of Mounties, each bearing a brown Stetson on a black pillow, are officers from as far away as New Hampshire, Oregon, Alaska, and Minnesota, all of whom have travelled to stand alongside their Canadian counterparts.

And they're not just police officers, as the crowd is also filled with firefighters, railway police and even Parks Canada wardens.

Members of the public have turned out too, arriving at the pavilion hours early to secure one of the few seats reserved for them.

The service to honour the memory of murdered RCMP constables Peter Schiemann, 25, Leo Johnston, 32, Anthony Gordon, 28, and Brock Myrol, 29, will be the largest ever held for Mounties killed in the line of duty.

It begins at 1 p.m. MT (3 p.m. ET). It will be covered live on CTV.

Condolences and messages of inspiration urging Mayerthorpe, Alta. residents to "keep your chin up" have been pouring into the community from around the world, the town's mayor Albert Schalm told CTV's Canada AM.

"The whole nation suffers with us, we're not bearing this burden alone," he said.

It's not just Canadians who feel the loss. For U.S. Park Ranger Steve Frye, being across the border does not lessen the loss of members he calls part of his "extended family."

"We work very closely with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and Park Rangers across the United States feel a special bond with the members of the RCMP," Frye told Canada AM while in Edmonton.

"We are all feeling grief, our strength is in the solidarity that we have together and that, as well as our honour and respect, is why we are here today."

RCMP cadet Barry Wiese agreed, saying that the entire world feels the loss of a fallen officer.

"No matter where it happens...everybody is touched by it in some way," Wiese said.

"I believe when it happens, it really hits home what kind of job you are in, and really, you are serving the community, and I think that's why the community gets upset too."

The four officers were killed by Jim Roszko, 46, who was a known cop-hater and gun lover who cut a terrifying figure in the Mayerthorpe area.

One of the officers, Const. Schiemann, was buried Tuesday. The other three officers will be buried on Friday and Saturday.

The memorial service at the University of Alberta's Butterdome is an RCMP event. It is almost unprecedented in scale -- it's been 120 years since the RCMP suffered a loss of this magnitude.

As many as 10,000 police officers are expected, plus dignitaries such as Prime Minister Paul Martin and Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson.

The real guests of honour will be the families of the murdered officers.

If the crowds overflow from the athletic facility, which can hold 11,000, the campus's main gym and hockey rink are being set aside for extra capacity.

Canadian musical artists Ian Tyson, Susan Aglukark and Tom Jackson are to perform. Some of the songs expected include "Songbird," and "Four Strong Winds."

"It's really part of the healing process and I just hope that what I do gives some comfort for the families," Tom Jackson said, appearing on CTV's Canada AM. He will be singing "Amazing Grace."

With a report from CTV's Sarah Galashan and files from The Canadian Press

MY condolences, it really made me think what can go on these days. And how much we should appreciate lawenforcement/ peace officers. ( parents are both police officers here in Halifax) Again i send out   my condolences.

I attended the ceremony today, and I found that it was a very well done and powerful memorial. Watching the families of the fallen constables solemnly walk to their seats brought tears to my eyes. Kudos to those who organized it, for it was truly a fitting ceremony to remember the 4 fallen RCMP. We may wear different uniforms, but we uphold the same ideals and serve the same nation.  :salute:

I to attended the ceremony and was overwhelmed with the outpouring support from police forces across the continent.  I also was impressed with the speeches.  There was no political banter pure heart felt sympathies and thanks.

rest well brothers your memory will be carried on. BOTB

Back