• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 March 2005 - Four RCMP Murdered at Seized Marijuana Grow-Op

Wizard of OZ said:
I don't want to turn this into a slam page but a former liberal MP said that the cops would have never been shot if MJ was legalized. I just want to wring the guy now.
That is clearly just a stupid comment from an MP that does not understand the Liberal platform.   There is nothing pending to legalize grow-ops.   That means the crime that brought the police to that location would still have been a crime under the proposed legislation.   The liberals just plan to excuse the end users (the people that finance that entire criminal industry) to be excused from the blame.

Wow welcome to Canada where committing crimes either gets you nothing, or you get to go to club fed and play golf. Here in Edmonton there is a guy who has more than 30 charges, most of them assault and they just declared him a dangerous offender. They tried to do that a few years and the judge rejected it, after that this guy beat the crap out of an old man and left him pretty much a vegetable. How many people have to be hurt or killed before we start clamping down on repeat offenders. This makes me sick. My heart goes out to the families of the officers.

"The Military style weapon and EPCOR's lack of capability to turn the power off prompted the call for Military support. One of them was just posted in from Depot on or about the 14 of Feb."  

I was involved in a situation similiar to the above when the individual was barricaded in a house after a relationship breakdown.  The Mounties at first wanted the power shut off and then changed their mind.  I was able to do it from a remote location away from the scene which isn't always the case.  

"I only wish that stupid man had actually hung around to face the punishment for his crimes."  

What would have been his punishment?  This is Canada not Texas.  Go to RCMP Veterns Asso and read Pearson, Gordan D. Regt #23018.  I know the family quite well.  Hill, who shot Cst Pearson in 'Cold Blood', ultimately pleaded insanity.  He was out on the street in 8 years.

I don't think any sane liberal politician would correlate the actions of a madman and the decriminalization of an illicit substance.

Bear in mind what has been pointed out at least once - legalization and decriminalization are two different things, NEITHER ONE OF THEM MATTERS TO THIS THREAD. 

There is a seperate thread to discuss drugs and the legality of same, suggest posts dealing with that be done over there.

You know, it wasn't the pot that got these brave officers killed; rather it was the act of a deranged individual.  If put had been legal he probably would have been doing something else illegal that would require the RCMP to investigate. 
You know its not just liberal politicians, its most people who think along these lines as it is easy to draw a line between the two; it is human nature to want a simple a connection.

Although I must say that the involvement of the military (or in this case the potential involvement) bothers me, a lot.  I am of the firm belief that the military should NOT be used for civil police actions, it's not their job.  The way I see it the military is there to protect society from foreign dangers (and an argument can be made in the case for insurrection) as opposed civil policing matters (such as executing warrants, et cetera).   
I also don't like the idea of regular beat officers being given high powered weapons that should be left to the ETF/ERT teams.  Perhaps there should be more of them. 
I also don't believe the presence of a C8 or C9 in this case would have made a difference, the media reports make it sound like they were ambushed

FT and MCG

I totaly agree with your setiment.  There are alot of us up in arms right now over the stupid commnet only made to get his name in the papers again.  

LF(CMO)

I don't know if it could have been done from a remote area all i was told was that they were unable to comply with the RCMP request at that time.

Wasn't meant to slam EPCOR just part of the reason why the Military was called in.  Sorry if you took it as such.

IMHO there is no way that guy would have made it out of the house. Some form of incident would have happened.

Spending time in the big house as a cop killer is like being elected king.  Going as child molester on the other hand, he whould have to learn to play catch pretty quick if you know what i mean.

The military is always on call for prison breaks (outer corridon), natural disasters etc. 

The police firepower & military support debate has been moved:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27740.

"Wasn't meant to slam EPCOR just part of the reason why the Military was called in.  Sorry if you took it as such."

No, I didn't take it that way at all.  I just thought I would offer an explanation for those that might not understand the logistics of how a rural power grid system operates.

This is my most recent encounter with the 'drug world'.  Myself and my partner got a call of a wire down about 21:30 just after Christmas.  He pulled the bucket truck out of the shop and came back inside.  I asked him if we had wire on the truck of a certian size.  He goes out to check and quickly returns and tells me there is a guy laying prone in the 'belly' of the truck.  I go out there and he is this 'wild eyed' looking character with a bandana on etc laying in the back of the truck.  (It's about -20 and snowing a bit).

So I ask him what he's doing.  He says he jumped over the fence into our yard as the Hell's Angels are after him 'cause he owes them $3000.  I asked him where he wants to go?  He says just get him out of town.  I tell him we'll give him a lift to the edge of town and when I slow down, he has got to 'bail out'.

A few days later two RCMP show up looking for the Line Crew Foreman.  However, they just wanted some 'intell' on a suspected grow'op ie had a particuliar rural residence had above normal power consumption?  It just so happens we had been there refusing the Transformer which can be caused by overload.  I told them about our 'hitch hiker' and they said that he may have been just stung out and he really wasn't being chased.  They didn't seem very concerned at all.

I guess maybe after this terrible tradegy we will have to take these things more seriously.

Rest in peace. Canada and the world are worse places without these 4 brave officers.   :salute:

Wizard of OZ said:
Spending time in the big house as a cop killer is like being elected king.  Going as child molester on the other hand, he whould have to learn to play catch pretty quick if you know what i mean.

With the prisoners, yes. But on the other hand, from what I understand, is that the guards don't tale too kindly to cop killers.

Not to take away from the genuinely sad nature of this post...but...

What kind of troops were dispatched from Edmonton Garrison?  I know they dispatched 2 APC's and an armoured ambulance, but what kind of troops were the 20 troops that were dispatched?  Infantry?  Military police?

Anyone watching the press conference going on now?

I get the distinct impression that the very patient RCMP guy would very much like to tell them all to **** off. 95% of the questions are things which he could not possibly know, is not allowed to talk about or trying to find fault with the RCMP system.

Go away media dogs! (Especially you David Grey)

My prayers to all police out there working for the good in the country.

I liked how he said "I'm not going to answer that .. I answered it already and would do so until I'm blue in the face"

God I despise reporters .. asking such stupid questions about armour and armaments and crap, trying to blow this into something it isn't and all the while officer said about a trillion friggen times that this was a total surprise/ambush and they couldn't have known such a thing.

His point about the police being in a militarized state was good too. WTF does the media idiots expect - police to show up at calls with full body armour, some shotguns on their backs and hey why not, maybe a assault rifle in their hands?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/04/myrol-rcmp050304.html

Names of the Constables were released.

Headlines from Australia and South Africa to France:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/rcmp/coverage.html

RCMP identify the four officers killed in grow-op bust

Canadian Press

March 4, 2005

MAYERTHORPE, Alta. (CP) -- "Our hearts go out to you.â ?

The sign posted outside Mayerthorpe high school Friday summed up how people in this small rural community were dealing with the shooting deaths of four RCMP officers.

In a news release, the RCMP identified the four constables as Peter Christopher Schiemann, Anthony Fitzgerald Orion Gordon, Lionide Nicholas Johnston and Broack Warren Myrol.

Students at the school wore red ribbons and the school held a moment of silence to honour the Mounties.

The officers died Thursday while conducting a raid on a marijuana grow operation on a farm in the nearby community of Rochfort Bridge.

"There has been a terrible tragedy in our community,â ? said principal Carolyn Jensen as she read a statement into the school's public address system.

"Four RCMP officers who dedicated themselves to protecting citizens gave their lives to make our community a safer place.â ?

Outside the school, students talked among themselves about the tragedy.

"It is a terrible thing. We just had a car accident a little while ago and we got to know a lot of the cops. They helped us out,â ? said Catlin Trynchy, 16.

"They are all really good people. It is a shame.â ?

Police say it's the worst such massacre to strike their service since the Northwest Rebellion of 1885.

The shooter, identified by police as 46-year-old James Roszko, was also found dead at the scene.

Later Friday, the RCMP were expected to release more information about the shootings and the slain officers.

There were other signs of support in the town northwest of Edmonton.

At one point, a number of people gathered in front of the local RCMP detachment headquarters as the mournful skirl of a bagpipe playing Amazing Grace hung in the air.

Tracy Eisert, who used to serve the slain Mounties fast food at the local Burger Baron, wept as she carried a vase of flowers to the detachment.

"I served these gentlemen where I work and I wanted to say thank you,â ? she said.

"I'm confused, scared. Scared for the families.â ?

Eisert said the suspected shooter was a violent and dangerous man who was feared in the community.

"I hope he rots in hell for what he has done to our community. He ruined our town.â ?

Other residents placed roses at the base of the flags flying in front of the detachment. One woman placed four stuffed toys -- an elephant, a zebra and two teddy bears at the makeshift memorial.

In a note she said the animals are her daughter's favourite toys.

"The prayers of my little family are with the fallen officers,â ? the note said.

"God please watch over all the police officers all over the world.â ?

Mayerthorpe Mayor Albert Schalm said it will take time for the community to get through the tragedy.

He said words of support were pouring in from across Canada and around the world.

"There is a lot of grief and a lot of tears shed,â ? he said. "The tremendous support we are receiving really helps us, knowing we don't have to deal with this alone.â ?

Schalm declined to respond to questions about Roszko.

© Canadian Press 2005

CBH99 said:
Not to take away from the genuinely sad nature of this post...but...

What kind of troops were dispatched from Edmonton Garrison?   I know they dispatched 2 APC's and an armoured ambulance, but what kind of troops were the 20 troops that were dispatched?   Infantry?   Military police?

My source says it was enginers and some from 1 VP. No MP's were dispactched their firepower is wrse then the RCMP's.

God bless the four mounties that were taken from us, their families and their fellow brothers and sisters on the force. You'll always be in my heart and in my prayers. 

Back