• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 March 2005 - Four RCMP Murdered at Seized Marijuana Grow-Op

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
Any news on the RCMP operation in Northern Alberta?  I heard that there may be four RCMP Officers down, in their assault and shoot out at a Grow Operation 120 km northwest of Edmonton.  Air Ambulances were called in, but are waiting with Police as the situation is still dangerous.  Edmonton's A Channel is reporting from the scene.

http://www.canada.com/national/story.html?id=6b2b71eb-a39a-44c3-aca4-b447ef808f61

SWAT teams called in after Mounties shot in grow-op raid
Canadian Press
March 3, 2005

ROCHFORT BRIDGE, Alta. -- At least four RCMP officers were not responding to their radios after a raid on a northwestern Alberta marijuana grow operation in which shots were fired, Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko said Thursday.

"They don't know whether that's a malfunction of the equipment or what yet, but it's a very serious situation,â ? said Cenaiko, who added gunfire was continuing.

He said he had spoken to the assistant commissioner of the RCMP in Alberta.

"(The situation) is still active and they have a number of resources that are on scene or going to the scene.â ?

Earlier, department spokesman David Bray said RCMP officers were shot and wounded while conducting a drug raid at a farmhouse near Rochfort Bridge, Alta., about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

He said it was not known how many officers were injured.

Sgt. Rick Oncescu of the Calgary RCMP said two SWAT teams were called into the area. Cam Bell, a spokesman for the STARS air ambulance based in Calgary, said an emergency team was contacted by police just after 10 a.m. to fly to the scene.

He said a helicopter with two pilots, a nurse and a paramedic were on the ground with police, ambulance and fire crews because RCMP told them it was too dangerous to go in.

© Canadian Press 2005

Here's hoping those Mounties are all ok. If not, the bad guys are in for a world of hurt when the SWAT Mounties get them.

From CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/03/alberta-shooting050303.html

At least 2 Mounties shot in Alberta raid
Last Updated Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:37:37 EST
CBC News
MAYERTHORPE, ALTA. - At least two RCMP officers were shot and wounded Thursday during a raid on a marijuana grow operation in northwestern Alberta, according to the provincial solicitor general's office.

"As far as we know there's four officers not responding to their radios, so there is an indication that something is serious here," Solicitor General Harvey Cenaiko told CBC News.

"[The situation] is still active and they have a number of resources that are on scene or going to the scene."

George Vanderburg, the provincial politician who represents the area, says he and Cenaiko were briefed on the situation.

He could not provide further details except to say it was a "very serious and very tragic" situation.

There are unconfirmed reports of a hostage taking.

A medical crew that was rushed to the scene shortly after 10 a.m. has not been allowed near the building at the centre of the action because gunfire continues to be heard and police believe it's too dangerous to let them approach, according to reporters on the scene.

RCMP have set up roadblocks around the farm where the incident is unfolding.

Cenaiko's office had earlier said two officers had been wounded when gunfire broke out during a raid at a farmhouse in Rochfort Bridge, Alta.

Rochfort Bridge is located near the community of Mayerthorpe, about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

From the CTV, click on the video links: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1109878667829_105287867/?hub=TopStories

On the radio in Alberta their sayin that four RCMP members have been killed by highpowered weapons and 1 badly injured! I found an internet link but what there sayin is different from what the news programs in Alberta are saying. They've also said that the military has been called out to the scene. This is all about something to do with an maryjuana grow raid that happened today!! My dad was on the highway when the ERT team from Red Deer was speeding out to the scene today in their SUV's, and he phoned me and asked me if there was anything on the news and this is all I can find!

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/03/alberta-shooting050303.html

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=085a215f-ac19-40fb-b306-0fc632cdc3af

Major Scott Lundy says they dispatched two armoured vehicles, an ambulance and about 20 soldiers after the police request came in around mid-day.

He says the unit was asked to stand down after it was indicated the situation was resolved.

P-Free said:
http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=085a215f-ac19-40fb-b306-0fc632cdc3af

Major Scott Lundy says they dispatched two armoured vehicles, an ambulance and about 20 soldiers after the police request came in around mid-day.

He says the unit was asked to stand down after it was indicated the situation was resolved.

Whoa......
A high-powered weapon you say? Most likely they had those Kevlar vest on, so anybody got any thoughts on what kind of weapon could be used?
Also, I was wondering when has the military been called in for police support when something has gone wrong, other than protest?

Also, I was wondering when has the military been called in for police support when something has gone wrong, other than protest?

Umm, Oka...FLQ Crisis...What are they teaching in school these days?  Maybe I'm just showing my age.... ::)

Yep, it was 1 CER that got the call.

It was probably the area IRU.

GENOMS Soldier said:
I was wondering when has the military been called in for police support when something has gone wrong, other than protest?
Gustafsen Lake, BC [edit] 1995 [/edit]
2nd edit
http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/national/1999/11/22/soldier991122.html
Former soldier suing military
Last Updated Mon, 22 Nov 1999 14:14:28 EST
CBC News
CALGARY - A Canadian soldier who lost his right hand in a covert military operation is in a Calgary court suing the federal government.

Mike Schlueter wants $3 million in compensation.

His right hand was blown off during a standoff with aboriginal protesters at Gustafsen Lake, B.C. in 1995.

Schlueter says he was given faulty stun grenades.

The Crown claims that Schlueter waived his right to sue when he took a pension.

Oka

Penetentaries in both Quebec and Ontario.

ICE Storm

Toronto Snow Storm

FLQ Crisis

George Wallace said:
We are also following this in RADIO CHATTER

Oops, I looked in a couple different folders, but what your meaning isn't under Radio Chatter, its under Political, I never even thought to look in there, my bad.

GENOMS Soldier said:
A high-powered weapon you say? Most likely they had those Kevlar vest on, so anybody got any thoughts on what kind of weapon could be used?

On the radio it has said, high powered weapon, and high-powered sniper rifle. My guess is some kind of hunting rifle (name an Alberta house that doesn't have a high-powered hunting rifle).

atticus said:
Oops, I looked in a couple different folders, but what your meaning isn't under Radio Chatter, its under Political, I never even thought to look in there, my bad.

Looks like my bad too.......too much aluminium mess tins.....Damn, don't even remember where I post.

The latest I just heard on the news was that a couple of RCMP officers caught the man offguard and he shot them with a high powered rifle then killed himself. Another RCMP officer in the area discovered the bodies.

News conference is apparently scheduled for 8PM EST.

P-Free said:
The latest I just heard on the news was that a couple of RCMP officers caught the man offguard and he shot them with a high powered rifle then killed himself. Another RCMP officer in the area discovered the bodies.

News conference is apparently scheduled for 8PM EST.

Thats basically what I just heard on the news a minute ago, cept that it was four officers that were killed, and that there was and still is much confusion around the story. Ralph Klein is to speak on this at 5:15pm mountain time. Here is another link from CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/03/03/alberta-shooting050303.htm

Four Mounties Slain in grow-op raid
Thursday, March 3, 2005 Updated at 7:22 PM EST
From Globe & Mail Online
Canadian Press

Rochfort Bridge, Alta. â ” Four RCMP officers were shot and killed during a raid on a marijuana grow operation in northwestern Alberta on Thursday, a government source told The Canadian Press.

The source said the four officers went to a farmhouse near Rochfort Bridge where they surprised a lone male suspect, who shot them with a high-powered rifle before killing himself.

A fifth RCMP officer, who was in the area on an unrelated stolen property investigation, discovered the bodies, the source said.

"He just cut them down," the source said of the gunman's actions.

The fifth officer, not knowing if there was another suspect in the area, called for help.

There had been confusion all day about the fate of the officers after the first reports that shots were fired during the raid near Rochfort Bridge, a village of about 60 people.

Solicitor-General Harvey Cenaiko had told reporters four officers were not responding to their radios and referred to "a very serious situation."

RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes confirmed that the officers were conducting an investigation at a rural residence. He said there was reason to believe a lone male suspect was armed with a high-powered rifle.

Cpl. Oakes did not release any more information at the time, saying RCMP did not want to jeopardize the safety of their officers.

The lack of information earlier in the day initially led to conflicting reports about what happened.

Sgt. Rick Oncescu of the Calgary RCMP said two SWAT teams were called into the area and Mounties from surrounding jurisdictions also responded.

Major Scott Lundy, a spokesman for Edmonton Garrison, said the military received a request just after 12:30 p.m. from the RCMP for assistance. He said two armoured personnel carriers, an ambulance and about 20 military personnel were dispatched from the military base shortly after that.

About two hours later, police told the military their help was no longer needed.

"I have confirmed we have been stood down," he said.

Alberta Premier Ralph Klein said he was surprised and saddened that such a tragedy would occur in the quiet farming community, about 130 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

"Maybe it says something about how the criminal mind is changing

...to move from big cities so perhaps they won't be noticed as much as they would in a larger centre," he said.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to place this in, but I just wanted to have a place were members could come and talk about the incident. As some of you may have heard four mounties were shot and killed doing a drug seizure near Mayerthorpe. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the dead police officers who have served the public, keeping the peace, and keeping us all safe from those who wish to bring harm. :salute:

If your watching the news, the Deputy Prime Minister just spoke on this, no new info that hasn't been already been posted.
In five minutes the RCMP will be having their news conference on this.

If you don't know there is a fiberal convention this weekend and guess what they are all calling for? Thats right, total legalization of mary jane. ::)

The latest: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1109878667829_105287867/?hub=TopStories

atticus said:
If you don't know there is a fiberal convention this weekend and guess what they are all calling for? Thats right, total legalization of mary jane. ::)

Don't try to bring the Liberals into this, for the love of God. This is hard enough for people, without there being political comments and that our government is somehow on the same level as the growers, or in this case, murderer. Don't play off the sorrow to get in a cheap shot.

John Diefenbaker used to say

Mary Jane leads to heroin

I say

Drugs = the front end of terrorist organisations

Back