• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 Diggers KIA today.....

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Thats 5 this month.

A chilly late winter's arvo brings some chilly news.

I first heard this about 20 mins ago on Brisbane's 4BC AM 1116, just before I got on the bridge to cross to the island.....

We are all no strangers to loss, but I just hate news like this, just coming in now, apparently they are all SF Lads. Some sources say KIA'd in firefight, with many more wounded.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/australian-soldiers-kille-din-afghanistan/story-e6frfku0-1225882393687
-------------------

Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan
From: AAP June 21, 2010 4:51PM Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size Print Email Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Facebook Add to Kwoff Add to Myspace Add to Newsvine What are these? Australian troops have been involved in an incident in Afghanistan that has killed an unknown number of soldiers.

Defence has called a snap press conference where Defence Minister John Faulkner will detail the incident.

He will be joined by Chief of the Defence Force Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston.

While providing few details, a short statement from the defence department said the press conference has been called to discuss "an incident involving the Special Operations Task Group" where "there have been a number of casualties''
-------------------

Lets hope they are avenged accordingly.

RIP Lads, RIP.

OWDU

EDITed for spelling

More, they say now its a helo crash, 3 killed, and 7 wounded......

News sources say it is unknown if it is a result of En fire.

Since it is already Monday evening here, and this is all unfolding as we all go to bed down here, if anyone wants to add updates please feel free.

Regards and thanks,

OWDU

Three Diggers killed in Afghanistan
Updated: 18:38, Monday June 21, 2010
Three Australian soldiers have been killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan, just a fortnight after the deaths of Darren Smith and Jacob Moreland in a roadside bomb blast.

A total of 10 Australians were among the 15 on board the coalition chopper, Defence Chief Air Marshal Angus Houston told reporters.

The crash happened at 3:39am (Kandahar time) and was in the northern area of Kandahar.

Air Chief Marshal Houston says the three deaths are not the result of enemy action.

Seven of the Australians were injured, with two seriously wounded, he said.

One is undergoing surgery while the other is in intensive care at an ICAF medical facility.

Those two along with a third soldier who's less seriously wounded will be moved to a US military hospital in Bagram later today when their conditions have stabilised.

Air Chief Marshal Houston says other coalition helicopters carrying Australian troops are in the vicinity of the chopper which went down.

He says these helicopters were able to land immediately to secure the area and evacuate the wounded.

Another ISAF soldier - from another country - was also killed, Defence Minister John Faulkner said.

Senator Faulkner urged all Australians to take stock of the loss.

'I ask all Australians to today take time to think of these soldiers, their families and all the members of our defence forces who are serving their nation overseas,' he said.

Air Chief Marshal Houston said Australia would not be deterred.

'We have suffered over the past week, but we remain firmly committed to serving our nation to the best of our ability,' he said.

Asked if the deaths brought into question the government's commitment to the war, Senator Faulkner was unflinching.

He said it was 'important to stabilise Afghanistan'.

'We remain very committed to our operational objectives in Afghanistan,' Senator Faulkner said.

'I think these objectives, these specific goals, these reasons for being in Afghanistan remain of very great importance.'

The government's main goal in the central Asian nation is to train Afghanis to take control of their nation.

Air Chief Marshal Houston said while he didn't want to speculate on the cause of the accident, there was some problem with the helicopter. He would also not detail the type of helicopter involved.

'High altitude, rugged terrain, high temperatures and, I guess, heavily laden helicopters,' he said.

'I'm not sure what happened, that will be subject to investigation. Sufficed to say three o'clock in the morning, nighttime and what the weather was like, all of that will be the subject of investigation.

'I wouldn't want to speculate on what the cause was at this early stage.

'These three people who were killed earlier today were killed as a consequence of some problem with the helicopter'

The Australian death toll in Afghanistan now stands at 16.

NATO says 4 troops die in Afghan copter crash

capt.photo_1277109313500-1-0.jpg

AFP/Pool/File – US soldiers wait to board helicopters in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Three Australian commandos and a US soldier …

By HEIDI VOGT and ROHAN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writers Heidi Vogt And Rohan Sullivan, Associated Press Writers – 30 mins ago

KABUL, Afghanistan – A military helicopter crashed during an early morning operation in southern Afghanistan on Monday, killing three Australian commandoes and an American service member, officials said.

The crash was being investigated but there were no indications of enemy involvement, NATO said in a statement.

The Australian government said three of the dead were Australians, and U.S. Lt. Col. Joseph T. Breasseale said the fourth service member killed was American.

Australian Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston said seven other Australian soldiers were wounded, two of them badly.

"This is a tragic day for Australia, and for the Australian defense force," Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said in a statement to Parliament. "We know our mission in Afghanistan is hard, but this mission is critical for our common security."

The crash comes in a particularly deadly month for NATO forces. Including the most recent deaths, at least 57 international troops, including 35 Americans, have died so far in June. That could make June among the deadliest for international forces in the nearly nine-year war. The deadliest month so far for the military alliance was July 2009 when 75 troops, including 44 Americans, were killed.

The helicopter crashed before dawn in southern Kandahar province, and the operation it had been part of was still ongoing, Houston said.

Other coalition helicopters that were part of the same push landed near the downed aircraft and airlifted out the wounded, he said. More details on the operation were not given.

NATO has launched a major operation to secure the biggest southern city, Kandahar, capital of the province where the Taliban were first organized in the 1990s.

There were 15 people aboard the helicopter, 10 of them Australians, said Australian Defense Minister John Faulkner.

Australia has some 1,500 troops in Afghanistan alongside NATO forces. Monday's deaths take Australia's military death toll in Afghanistan to 16.

Australia's 1,550 troops in Afghanistan are based mainly in Uruzgan province, and are mostly involved in training Afghan security forces.

___

Sullivan reported from Sydney.

My deepest condolences to the family, friends and comrades of the fallen.  A speedy full recovery to the wounded.  :salute:  This is not a way I want to start my day, reading this news. 

Rest in peace to our fallen comrades. And speedy recovery to the WIA.

:yellow:

TN2IC

Wow....  Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen, and here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery on the part of the wounded.

:salute:

A few details from the AUS Def Force's news release:
The Australian Defence Force has confirmed that early this morning (21 June 2010) an incident involving a coalition helicopter has resulted in the death of three Australian soldiers.

Seven Australian soldiers were also wounded.

The Chief of the Defence Force, Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, said the three soldiers killed were Commandos from the Special Operations Task Group.

“The families of these soldiers can be extremely proud of their loved ones. These three individuals were members of a very impressive group of soldiers who were highly skilled and highly motivated,” Air Chief Marshal Houston said.

“These three soldiers were very experienced. Time after time they have taken the fight to the enemy with courage and determination I have nothing but admiration for these very brave and committed Australians. They were some of our finest.”   

Air Chief Marshal Houston said the cause of the helicopter crash would be investigated, however, it appeared not to be the result of enemy action.

All the wounded personnel have been evacuated from the incident site and are currently being treated at the Kandahar Role III Medical Facility.

Three Australian soldiers who suffered the most serious wounds will be moved later today to the US military hospital in Bagram when their condition stabilises.

As the operation remains ongoing, further details cannot be provided ....

Overwatch Downunder said:
News sources say it is unknown if it is a result of En fire.

"The crash was being investigated but there were no indications of enemy involvement, NATO said in a statement."

ALCON, thanks for the updates. 0524h here Tuesday am, and I am off to work.

Regards,

Wes

Back