• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3.5km in 22 mins

ObedientiaZelum said:
If you fake an injury you won't even have to march with all the soldiers  :nod:

And I thought the same couple of guys that constantly got injured during (or immediately before) PT were being legit!  ::) Even in my short time in I have seen this occur quite frequently.

For the OP. If you are constantly dragging your feet and not putting out the effort to help your fireteam partner, section and platoon it will be noticed by the folks around you. Make sure you show up as prepared as you possibly can be, that is both a mental and physical game. Putting in a bit of effort before you show up goes a long way. Struggling here and there is normal and your buddies will be there to help you, just make sure that you are able to do the same for them when they are struggling.

jlv031 said:
Soldier first... AC op after.... Change your attitude sir

Realizing this is a late reply, I'm still going to make it.

AC Op is an Air Op's trade, same as my trade is Air Ops.  There are no 'soldiers' in Air Ops trades.  It is not a matter of attitude.    ::)

Zulopol said:
I do 5km in 30min is that bad ?

You are going combat arms and will be heading to battle school.  Regardless of what your level is now, the better shape you are in, the better you are going to be able to perform on BMQ, BMQ-L and DP1 or whatever it is called now.  Example, (when I used to teach Armd QL3s atleast...) the FTX for the QL3 course was an "infantry in the defense" type field ex. 

After you're a qualified Trooper, you will continue to maintain your shape.  Round, from eating hot dogs in your c/s's boiler vessel and supporting the Sqn canteen.  ;D

:2c:

I know air force in general seem soft compare to some army trades but I still think we are all ask to carry a C7 if needed and to many times I saw air force guys on WASF being dangerous with a weapon.
All component get through the same basic training. Anyways this is just my opinion and I would like to think that all canadian forces personnal are fit.

Zulopol said:
I do 5km in 30min is that bad ?
It is an okay start.  Now push yourself toward 5 km in 25 min, and toward 10 km in 1 hr. 

Ok thanks for you response guys.

I know 5min in 30min is not bad but I could do better with practice..

With my Training before be enrolled + BMQ + other Courses my body have no choice to adapt the perfomance.

I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news but as a young fit recruit an 8 minute mile shouldn't be such a tall order. That means you should be able to do 5km in about 24-25 minutes. If you're doing a 10 minute mile or 5km in 30 minutes you've got a way to go. You might wanna do some things like interval training or hill reps to help you work on your speed and endurance.

Just my  :2c:

runormal said:
I used to be a couch potato, Ive used this free program to go from nothing to a 5k in under 25. (Its literally a chart with 9 weeks of walking to running). I've also sent it to siblings/friends and all of them have gotten up to 5k.

Here is the link
http://www.squidoo.com/C25K-Running

I'd try mid week 4 based on what you are saying. Just use the stop watch feature on your phone/iPod.

Like the others have said you will be screwed if you can't do 5k in 25.

Goodluck

This link no longer exists, anyone have a similar link or the info it provided? I'm looking on google for something similar without much luck.

ace1125 said:
This link no longer exists, anyone have a similar link or the info it provided? I'm looking on google for something similar without much luck.

I have the picture right here.

2zzu8i0.gif

It is really simple which is why I liked it when I used it. Use a stopwatch or your phone and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Edit:

When I was doing it I never bothered to go above 25 minutes as I could 5k in that time, I then would consistently run for 25 minutes every other day or so there after.

ace1125 said:

Google couch to 5k program. If you have an iphone(andriod to maybe but I'm iphone) look for the zen labs 10k trainer app. It will take you from couch potato to 10k in a little over 3 months. I use it and its pretty remarkable how well it works. Plus no need to try and time it yourself with a stopwatch, it tells you when to run, when to walk etc..

Zulopol said:
I know 5min in 30min is not bad but I could do better with practice..

With the time and practice Now I can do easy 5km in 23-24 min !

runormal said:
I have the picture right here.

2zzu8i0.gif

It is really simple which is why I liked it when I used it. Use a stopwatch or your phone and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Edit:

When I was doing it I never bothered to go above 25 minutes as I could 5k in that time, I then would consistently run for 25 minutes every other day or so there after.
There is magic math starting in week 6.

You may also want to look at how you run as well.  I used to always get shin splints, then I tried 'chi running'.  There are a number of different variations, but the jist of it is you land on the ball of your foot vice your heel.  Aside from absorbing your impact a lot better, it's more efficient mechanically, as you lose a lot of energy when your heel strikes.

If you try running barefoot this is how you'll naturally do it, as it hurts less, but it does use different muscle groups.  However, easier on the knees and other joints, which I've grown to appreciate now that I'm getting older.  Do find I have to do some different stretches after though, in particular the ITB band, but I found it easier to run the same distance, and wasn't hobbling after a week from crippling shin splints, so works for me.  If you watch kids, it's how they run naturally, before they get in the bad habit with the padded heels, and noticed a lot of pro runners do as well.

http://www.chirunning.com/

Not pushing this particular company, but it seems to be somewhat widespread, so may have luck looking for a workshop.  Takes a bit of getting used to, and I found with my gangly limbs that it's more comfortable and natural if I do it at a slower cadence (around 160 bpm or something vice 180), but worth a try.

Basic fitness standards are a joke now a days. You'll be fine, basic was a joke we only had 2 challenging weeks. I showed up to basic in great shape left in worse shape, if you show up in good shape you leave in worse shape if you show up in bad shape you leave in better shape that's what me and all the athletes from my basic platoon figured

KerryBlue said:
Google couch to 5k program. If you have an iphone(andriod to maybe but I'm iphone) look for the zen labs 10k trainer app. It will take you from couch potato to 10k in a little over 3 months. I use it and its pretty remarkable how well it works. Plus no need to try and time it yourself with a stopwatch, it tells you when to run, when to walk etc..

I downloaded this app, I think it's great. Been using it a few weeks and can already notice my endurance has improved. Its nice because it easily keeps track of the time to switch between running and walking when you first start.  Also, I enjoy how it gives you something to aim for as opposed to running aimlessly hoping to improve. As someone who has smoked for a few years I feel this thing will save me from a world of hurt if I ever get to basic training.

Thanks to everyone who posted tips or guidance in this thread!

Here is a four step program:

1.  Log off
2.  Go to the library and get this book:  http://www.amazon.ca/Runners-World-Less-Faster-Revolutionary/dp/159486649X
3.  Photocopy a 5km plan.  I believe there are beginner, intermediate, and race plans.
4.  Follow the plan.

Two step plan:
1. log off
2. run 5km 3 - 5 times a week every week until you are in St Jean.

Epp12 said:
Basic fitness standards are a joke now a days. You'll be fine, basic was a joke we only had 2 challenging weeks. I showed up to basic in great shape left in worse shape, if you show up in good shape you leave in worse shape if you show up in bad shape you leave in better shape that's what me and all the athletes from my basic platoon figured

You must have done something wrong then.

RedcapCrusader said:
You must have done something wrong then.

I've had ten years service, and I've trained prior to every course I went on. I've been in good shape. Every time, I've been in worse shape by the end of the course.

He's got the basic facts right, but the attitude wrong.

Personal fitness is a personal responsibility. Failing to do the best you can within your means is a personal failure. Maybe a PRes university student with kids who goes from finals in the last week of April to course the first week of May isn't going to have been running half marathons and doing nine hours of upper body workouts, but he should have been doing something for personal fitness. Showing up for a recruit course without effort in preparing for it because he knows that "if you show up in bad shape you leave in better shape" is a cop out that reduces his ability to succeed and drags down his coursemates are obliged to support him.

On course, tasking, or field exercise, you do what you can, but you may not have the ability to do what you otherwise might fitness-wise. You prioritize what's important among your responsibilities. Talk to anybody whose been on a leadership course about how great their fitness or nutrition were. They're stupid if they didn't look after themselves (I've got some clear memories of leadership failures by people who didn't drink, eat, or take care of their own injuries), but they're unlikely to have been in better shape at the end than they were in the beginning.

Back