• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2RCR transfers from LFAA to LFCA to improve brigade capabilities

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Found this while looking through Army News.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gagetown, New Brunswick – 2RCR transfers from LFAA to LFCA to improve brigade capabilities.

Project Number: 09-0340

Transcript and Help Royal Canadian Regiment unites under LFCA
Gagetown, New Brunswick – 2RCR transfers from LFAA to LFCA to improve brigade capabilities.
Transcript
09-0340 TOCA RCR

Sgt Marco Comisso
As we learn in our next story, the Royal Canadian Regiment family is now formally united under the command of Land Force Central Area.

Col Dean Milner
This was a transfer of command authority parade with 2RCR (2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment) from LFAA (Land Force Atlantic Area) to LFCA (Land Force Central Area). This will give the brigade obviously more capabilities. The infantry are the backbone of the army of the brigade and with the temple of the army right now just having that third battalion to share some of the responsibilities with. LFAA still commands the IRU (Immediate Reaction Unit) capability. 2RCR again is the most capable unit out east

Soundbite
Both myself and General Collin are fully committed to make this arrangement work.

Col Dean Milner
Battalion will still carry on with most of its tasks. It will still be a busy unit that will support the combat training centre. It will still train for operations like it has in the past. I think the only noticeable thing for the young soldier is that it will be fully part of the two brigade team.

WO Kyle Richards
For army news I’m WO Kyle Richards

It actually does make sense because of the fact 2RCR belongs to 2CMBG and 2CMBG belongs to LFCA.

Is this not just a case of necroposting the news or just a slow day at ARMY NEWS?  2 RCR fell under 2 CMBG 10-15 years ago.  They have just been 'Administratively attached' LFAA due to their location.

But it seems that the Command Authority was not transfered at that time.....

Previously they wore the 5 GMBC patch.  Did they also wear the Div patch, as did C Sqn RCD and 22 Fd Sqn?

Could this be a divination or a slight leak that the 2RCR may be moving......

The only Regiment that has a lone battalion that spans more than one province is the RCR...

Just a thought I guess.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:

The only Regiment that has a lone battalion that spans more than one province is the RCR...

Just a thought I guess.

dileas

tess

Huh?

2 VP in Shilo, Manitoba  with the whole province of Saskatchewan in between them and the rest of the Regt in Edmonton, Alberta.  Yes, I know ...... Saskatchewan isn't a foreign speaking province ........ but yes it is, just not in Canada.........Ukrainian.  >:D

NFLD Sapper said:
But that would leave LFAA without an Inf BN.....

What's new?  Like so many Maritimers before them, they are off to Ontario........Points West.    :nod:

George Wallace said:
What's new?  Like so many Maritimers before them, they are off to Ontario........Points West.    :nod:

Ah shut up  ;)

;D

the 48th regulator said:

Just a thought I guess.

Have you seen the barracks these guys have - best in the CF.  Why would they abandon those?

We changed over a little while ago, but it feels a lot like "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

We're still supporting CTC, and 3ASG is still supporting us.

The largest benefit I see is the increased training opportunity (hopefully). Though, I'm sure 2 RCR will maintain the LFAA's NEO and IRU taskings when they come up.

Infanteer said:
Have you seen the barracks these guys have - best in the CF.  Why would they abandon those?

Shizen,

I didn't know about the Barracks trump card...Dang, foiled again.

Damn you Rocker painters, may all chickens run 1 meter faster than each of you!

dileas

tess

George Wallace said:
Is this not just a case of necroposting the news or just a slow day at ARMY NEWS?  2 RCR fell under 2 CMBG 10-15 years ago.  They have just been 'Administratively attached' LFAA due to their location.
Actually, they were under command of LFAA.  It was informally understood that they were the third Bn of 2 CMBG, but there was the extent of it.  Actually putting 2 RCR under the command of 2 CMBG is a new thing.

the 48th regulator said:
The PPCLI also find themselves stretched across Alberta to Manitoba.

the 48th regulator said:
No it is not.  2 RCR will stay a lodger of CFB Gagetown in LFCA.  I first heard rumbllings of this early last summer.  2 CMBG was having problems force generated that the other two larger brigades were not having.  They made the case that they needed to own that other battalion to reach in and access the parts/people they needed when forming a BG (and arguments could be made the other way that 2 RCR needs that direct line into 2 CMBG when it is tasked to stand-up the core of a BG).  It would appear the Army accepted the argument.

MCG said:
No it is not.  2 RCR will stay a lodger of CFB Gagetown in LFCA.  I first heard rumbllings of this early last summer.  2 CMBG was having problems force generated that the other two larger brigades were not having.  They made the case that they needed to own that other battalion to reach in and access the parts/people they needed when forming a BG (and arguments could be made the other way that 2 RCR needs that direct line into 2 CMBG when it is tasked to stand-up the core of a BG).  It would appear the Army accepted the argument.

And pretty much the same thing I heard as well. It makes sense, but really - as I said, it changes nothing. We're still at CFB Gagetown, and thus are at the "beck and call" of the CTC. Oh well, one more place to get posted when you want to avoid having to sell your house I guess  ;)

George Wallace said:
Previously they wore the 5 GMBC patch.  Did they also wear the Div patch, as did C Sqn RCD and 22 Fd Sqn?
In 1989 (Sept, I believe), 1 Can Div was stood up on a parade in Germany.  Members of 5e GBMC were on that parade, including my then-roommate.  From that point forward, 2 RCR, as part of 5e BGMC, wore the Div Patch on the right sleeve of garrison dress and DEU, and the "Allons-y" patch on the left.  2 RCR took part in all 5e GBMC major exercises, sporting events, etc.
As an aside, 2 RCR has been a "part" of 2 CMBG since the early 00's.  I can't remember the actual year, but I was on that parade.  In other words, I had to sew on the brigade patch on my DEU and I wore it until posted to the infantry school in 04.  So, the recent "TOCA" was not from "oblivion" to "2 CMBG", but rather from LFAA to LFCA.

While they wore the patch, it was a symbolic connection only.  There was no previous command connection; 2 RCR did not report through Comd 2 CMBG.  By transferring from LFAA to LFCA, the unit can now in actuality become part of the brigade (as opposed to just wearing its accouterments).

Guys at the bottom may see things as "business as usual" but for 2 CMBG HQ this means that they can start including the battalion (and all of its resources) in their planning.  In the long run, I expect there will be a change in the pattern of things 2 RCR is directed to do.

ArmyRick said:
It actually does make sense because of the fact 2RCR belongs to 2CMBG and 2CMBG belongs to LFCA.

Until this changed, legally, 2 RCR was a unit embodied in the Regular Force, and allocated to the formation of Land Forces Atlantic Area.  From a legal perspective, CO 2 RCR was a direct report to commander, LFAA.

Assuming the MOO and CFOO have been amended (and sometimes the Army gets ahead of the paperwork, which can lead to problems), 2 RCR will now be a unit embodied in the Regular Force, and allocated to the formation of 2 CMBG.  2 CMBG, in turn in a formation allocated to the formation of Land Forces Central Area.

Problems can arise when a General's desire for change is acted upon without the requisite Ministerial Authority.  Legally, until the MOO is changed, certain reporting requirements remain.  Thus, until the MOO and CFOO are amended, disciplinary cases will continue to flow from CO 2 RCR to Comd LFAA - the CFOO will state something like:

7. THE NEXT SUPERIOR OFFICER IN MATTERS OF DISCIPLINE IS THE COMMANDER LFAA

While this seems pedantic, it is important - errors in the process can invalidate summary trials or taint other proceedings.

All I remember from my sojourn there was putting the stumbling bear up when I got there and then taking it down a couple of weeks later when they told us that medics belonged to CFMG and not the Brigade, and then LtCol Davis describing the battalion as "the bastard child of the Canadian Army" to explain our lot in life as whipping boy for CTC and LFAA.

MM

Back