• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

240' Bailey Bridge in downtown Vancouver 1944

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Copied from a FB post for those that don't FB https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157664016633094&set=gm.1162722827222111&type=3&theater&ifg=1

240 foot Bailey Bridge spanning Georgia Street at Howe Street in 1944. It was erected within a 10 hour period by Royal Canadian army engineers in 1944 as part of Army Week for the 7th Victory Loan campaign. It was able to carry a load of up to 50 tons. Construction began at midnight on November 1. The bridge was in service for pedestrians and vehicles, reportedly, by 10 a.m. The bridge proved so popular with Vancouverites, who flocked to walk across it or drive beneath it (on Georgia) or across it (on Howe), that engineers decided to leave the bridge up for about 24 hours longer than had originally been planned. It was dismantled on the evening of November 3rd. (Historical Journey)

Attachments

• 57238990_10157664016638094_8364559236864147456_n.jpg
    57238990_10157664016638094_8364559236864147456_n.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 195
Bailey bridge is no more, and we probably couldn’t pull together 240’ of 3/1 or 3/2 Acrowe.

The Highway's department could rent you some. I knew we were short bridging equipment, but is it that bad? How do they plan to respond to the pending earthquake in BC?

I’m probably overstating the problem, but bridging has become a neglected part of engineer training, now it’s all CIED and breaching drills and other high speed stuff. Renting from highway 17 maint crews would sort of negate the cool factor of showing off our Sapperiness. Also a bridge that long would require piers, and nothing was brought in to replace the Christchurch crib system, I believe.  I’m just being old and crotchety over the state of good old heavy manual bridging, these days it’s a newsworthy event to build 120 feet of MGB, that used to be called “Thursday “.

Target Up said:
I’m probably overstating the problem, but bridging has become a neglected part of engineer training, now it’s all CIED and breaching drills and other high speed stuff. Renting from highway 17 maint crews would sort of negate the cool factor of showing off our Sapperiness. Also a bridge that long would require piers, and nothing was brought in to replace the Christchurch crib system, I believe.  I’m just being old and crotchety over the state of good old heavy manual bridging, these days it’s a newsworthy event to build 120 feet of MGB, that used to be called “Thursday “.

Still got some Christchurch cribs sitting in the back forty at Swan lake...

BTW bridging is back as core training (again)....and now soon is tactical minefields....

Good, I worked with 1 CER back in the CFB Chilliwack days and supported the School of Military Engineering and was always impressed at the skill they had with bridging equipment. 

We spent a pile of time at the dry gap, for sure.

Back