• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

220 Reservists Needed for TF 03-06

Mike_R23A I can't down load it!
As I have only word pad.
Win 98.

To be blunt I doubt many will be picked up for the Task Force,Camp Mirage D&S sure,but considering that not many are LAV Gunner,Driver or Crew Comd qualified I cannot see many billets in the task force being filled other than CIMIC and such jobs.

I agree with MG34...we aren't seeing that much RES augmentation for TF1-06 within the Rifle coys and the Bn itself(if at all).  It is too easy for a Bn to top up the deploying units with troops from within an organization that aren't deploying.  Most I have no doubt as MG34 said will be LO, CIMIC drivers....and what not within the deployed NCE and NSE.

Anyone know if someone from Quebec can deploy with LFCA?  Im in the 34th brigade, but pretty much suck at french.  If I were to be deployed with the R22R or 12RBC, I would be lost....

Lost_Warrior said:
Anyone know if someone from Quebec can deploy with LFCA?  

If LCFA cannot fill it's Reserve requirements from within, vacancies may be made available to the other LF Areas.   Likely it'll be short notice.

For anyone who can't open the document, the personnel bill looks like this:

"¢ Maj - 3, from all 3 Brigades. (Any MOC)
"¢ Capt - 18, Various MOC's
"¢ CWO/MWO - 2/2
"¢ WO/ Sgt - 2/15, Combat Arms
"¢ MCpl - 24, Combat Arms
"¢ CPl/ Pte - 154, Various MOC's

MG34:
Likely you are correct that the only formed unit will be the D&S Pl.   The remaining numbers don't support the formation of anything else familiar in our usual BG ORBATS (2 CWO??)

If anyone on a current Class B is considering applying, ensure you read through the freshly amended ADM (HR-Mil) Instruction 20-04.   There is a new provision to protect your Class B job (under certain circumstances) should you deploy.

I for one am interested to see how these positions break down, hopefully once everyone's back from Stalwart Guardian someone who knows first hand will be able to fill us in...

I'm surprised there seems to be so much clarity this far out.

MJP said:
I agree with MG34...we aren't seeing that much RES augmentation for TF1-06 within the Rifle coys and the Bn itself(if at all).  
Life would be easier if that were the same in the Fd Tp.

MCG said:
Life would be easier if that were the same in the Fd Tp.

If you have augmentees who can't cut the mustard the solution is simple. Screen them out during pre-deployment training.

Haggis said:
If you have augmentees who can't cut the mustard the solution is simple. Screen them out during pre-deployment training.
It is not a problem with the individuals (which we will meet Monday), but that we are desperatly short on certain skills that are not taught to reservists (like LAV driver).  By committing to 20% R043 in the Fd Sect, we cannot fill skill shortfalls with other reg force pers.

MCG said:
By committing to 20% R043 in the Fd Sect, we cannot fill skill shortfalls with other reg force pers.

Seen.  Misunderstood a bit (only one coffee so far...)

That's the problem with the Reserve "Train to Need" approach.  There is an expectation that any skills a Reservist needs beyond ELOC/MLOC will be taught during pre-deployment training.  It's not fair to the deploying Reg F unit (who have to now expend more time/energy on delta training) or the Res F units (who don't have the budgeted time/resources/money to close the delta).

Haggis said:
That's the problem with the Reserve "Train to Need" approach.  

As soon as Director Army Training and the Director of the Reserves, among others, realize that 200+ reservists are going to be NEEDED on a per task force basis and that they will NEED certain skill sets and core training, and the deploying RegF units NEED to commit their short term trg resources to theatre specific predeployment training then maybe there will be a realization that where ever possible reserves NEED trg parity with the RegF.

IMO the "Train-to-Need" approach is a sell out and has knee capped the reserves.

c4th said:
As soon as Director Army Training and the Director of the Reserves, among others, realize that 200+ reservists are going to be NEEDED on a per task force basis and that they will NEED certain skill sets and core training, and the deploying RegF units NEED to commit their short term trg resources to theatre specific predeployment training then maybe there will be a realization that where ever possible reserves NEED trg parity with the RegF.

So far that hasn't happened.  Almost 3 years ago now, all the Reserve Infantry Sgts and WOs (18 soldiers) for Op PALLADIUM Roto 13 were expected to be Small Arms Instructor qualified upon arrival for pre-deployment training.  Only one was, an ex Reg F Sgt.

That course isn't offered to the Army Reserve.  Yes, some vacancies may occur on occasion, but what Reserve CO can afford the $10K price tag for one Sgt/WO?  That's the price of an average weekend ex for a mid-sized unit.

Possibly part of the problem is that the Reg Force, or someone putting it together, missed the boat on certain things. Like taking nothing but Infantry Reservists and training them up to do things like the Light Vehicle Patrol tasking. They had to train Infantry Reservists to drive Iltis, teach the Infantry Reservists to Crew Command, teach them all tactics and movements of the vehicles, etc.   Instead of giving the task to the Armoured Recce Reservists that already had the skill sets required. I think a lot of time and money was wasted, and still is, on that particular tasking that wasn't/ isn't warranted.

recceguy said:
Possibly part of the problem is that the Reg Force, or someone putting it together, missed the boat on certain things. Like taking nothing but Infantry Reservists and training them up to do things like the Light Vehicle Patrol tasking. They had to train Infantry Reservists to drive Iltis, teach the Infantry Reservists to Crew Command, teach them all tactics and movements of the vehicles, etc.   Instead of giving the task to the Armoured Recce Reservists that already had the skill sets required. I think a lot of time and money was wasted, and still is, on that particular tasking that wasn't/ isn't warranted.

Roto 12, which was a Composite Reserve Company (as opposed to Roto 13's Composite Reserve Infantry Company) had it's own set of problems, mostly with basic soldier skills. Thier 2 VP training cadre was 100% Infantry and they were able to overcome that.

Roto 13 had all it's Iltis drivers trained prior to reporting to the BG, but didn't see their Iltises (Iltii?) until a few days before Storming Bear almost three months later.  This caused some problems to be identified during validation which, thanks to a good handover from Roto 12, we were able to deal with early in the tour.

Once in theatre, we found there was little requirement for Crew Commanding, tactics and movements of the vehicles, etc.  "Survival Driving" was the name of the game.

IMO spending a week driving an Iltis in downtown Montreal in February would have been more beneficial training for a winter tour of an LPV Company. ;D

Don't worry I'm not going to cut anybody down like I did, thats over and done with! I definitly agree with Haggis is last post. I was part of enemy force for D coy's work up for Roto 12 and most of the Ccoy 2VP NCO's were instructing and advising. There has to be a better screening or "selection" process. And definitly the senior NCO's need to be small arms qualified, thats just common sense! The one thing I don't agree with is the LAV training, we already have soldiers qualified and we already work with these vehicles on a regular basis. I do agree if there are position's that are needed to be filled and there are Res. member's ready then augment, however, LAV gunner, driver and CC should be for Reg members specifically. OK, send the blast of shit if you must! :salute: :cdn:

Considering we in the 2nd (with all our dinosaurs) barely do enough LAV training I highly doubt there is a reservist out there that would get the course as a reservist and enough training afterward to be effective.  Not a slam just the nature of the beast.

BITTER PPCLI CPL said:
The one thing I don't agree with is the LAV training, we already have soldiers qualified and we already work with these vehicles on a regular basis. I do agree if there are position's that are needed to be filled and there are Res. member's ready then augment, however, LAV gunner, driver and CC should be for Reg members specifically. OK, send the blast of shit if you must! :salute: :cdn:

Blast of shite?....heck it just common sense not to waste the limited training time and money on people that may only use it for a short period of time and don't have a need for it within their parent unit.  Not to mention the considerable skill fade involved if one does not get into the turret or the drivers seat in a long time.  IMHO as its being done right now, the courses involved should stay with Reg Force members.

Well....I do agree with you up to a point.  There are now many Ex Regs now in the Reserves who have those qualifications, so that would make exceptions to your rule.  As always, our tendency to generalize, can cause some consternation.

that's why I said getting the course as a reservist GW.  I'm not sure you realize how quick the skill fade is especially without having a vehicle in your amouries you could jump in and refresh on.  So I guess it would all depend on how long he was out of the reg force.

Back