• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

22 Jul 11: Explosion near Norwegian PM's office

muskrat89 said:
Sorry for the tangent
Not at all - always worthwhile hearing from someone on the inside for this kind of detail.
canada94 said:
Yup! Have police already at the school. My school constantly has police outside dealing with dealers along the Welland Canal.. why not have one within the school?
I'd feel more comfortable with a cop in every school, but methinks that would add up to a lot o' cops to find.

muskrat89 said:
As someone who oversees security on a University campus I can tell you this (regardless of whether I agree or not with lockdowns, campus carry, etc) - one of the purposes (benefits?) of lockdown is to provide more barriers to slow the perpetrator down until the police get there. Yes, it easy to blow through a glass door, but navigating through hallways, especially - and classrooms, slows the guy down and presents him/her with more decisions. It also obstructs lines of vision (I know, not with glass) and helps challenge navigation. The real effect of these measures may be minute, but I think in these situations, anything helps.

Further, polics have altered tactics in responding to school shootings. before they used to stage, call SWAT, secure the wounded for the medics, etc. In the police departments I deal with, the response is for the 1st officers on scene to immediately enter the building and focus on nothing other than neutralizing the threat.

Sorry for the tangent

What you are saying makes sense.. and trust me guys.. I don't want to seem like I think we "should not do it".. I agree that it is a measure that should be taken, I just think that other measures can be taken as well. I agree with when you say it'll slow the perp down even by a minute as you said, as it could potentially save people's lives.

It's easy to agree with you as well as you know what your talking about :D

EDIT: lack of proper grammar :\

canada94 said:
What you are saying makes sense.. and trust me guys.. I don't want to seem like I think we "should not do it".. I agree that it is a measure that should be taken, I just think that other measures can be taken as well. I agree with when you say it'll slow the perp down even by a minute as you said, as it could potentially save people's lives.

It's easy to agree with you as well as you know what your talking about :D

EDIT: lack of proper grammer :\

Im not going into the tactics around how to deal with an active shooter. I will however say this- the reason you lock down where you are is because the more people fleeing through the hallways the more likelihood there is for further injury and mistakes.

The lockdown creates barriers and slows people down. In some classrooms it offers concealment. In other cases it keeps people out of the action.

canada94 said:
Yup! Have police already at the school.

Why a police officer?  Why should they be the only people to defend one's life?

Perhaps schools should have 1 person dedicated as "break-in-case-of-fire" person.  That staff member is trained on use of force, firearms safety and threat indicators.  Not only do they educate the rest of the faculty (and students) on stuff, but if something were to happen, they are ready to respond, saving lives before the police arrive.

Hell, deputize the person if it makes you feel comfortable....

Infanteer said:

Perhaps schools should have 1 person dedicated as "break-in-case-of-fire" person.  That staff member is trained on use of force, firearms safety and threat indicators.  Not only do they educate the rest of the faculty (and students) on stuff, but if something were to happen, they are ready to respond, saving lives before the police arrive.

I agree with being taught the ability to defend yourself, In my school grade 9 gym has a 2 week self defense course built in. I see a police officer not only as a form of protection but also deterrence. You can nerf everything you want in the world.. and still disaster will strike sooner or later. We can have all the commissions, inquires, studies.. but nothing will change that disasters (and nut cases) will strike.

That being said, "deputize them.." made me chuckle  8)

canada94 said:
That being said, "deputize them.." made me chuckle  8)
Not so fast....

Infanteer said:

Sort of a designated staff "use-of-force-trained peace officer"?

Infanteer said:

I dont mind the idea. However I think you'd have a hard time finding a teacher able to run towards the sound of a gun being fired in every school. Im sure they exist but Im also reasonably sure they would be rare.

Norwegian anti-immigration militant Anders Behring Breivik spoke in open court for the first time on Monday and admitted killing 77 people in attacks in July, but he denied any guilt, saying he was a military commander in a far-right resistance movement.

Wearing a black suit, white shirt and silvery tie, a tense Breivik sat with his eyes mostly downcast and occasionally bit his lip in a packed hearing to extend his custody before trial.

At one point Breivik attempted to address survivors of Norway's biggest modern-day massacre, but the judge cut him off.

"I am a military commander in the Norwegian resistance movement and Knights Templar Norway," Breivik told the court.

It was the 32-year-old's first public utterance since he planted a car bomb on July 22 that killed eight people at an Oslo government building, then went on to shoot dead 69 more, most of them teenagers, at a Labour Party summer camp on the island of Utoeya.

"I acknowledge the acts, but I do not plead guilty," Breivik said, adding that he rejected the jurisdiction of the court because it "supports multiculturalism." ....
Reuters, 14 Nov 11

More on the latest here (Google News search)

Hmmm - a few fruit loops short of breakfast I see.  Be interesting to see the psych assessment.

MM

medicineman said:
Hmmm - a few fruit loops short of breakfast I see.  Be interesting to see the psych assessment.

MM
Well, here's what the media's saying about it....
A psychiatric evaluation of confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik found he was insane during the July 22 bomb and shooting attacks that killed 77 people in Norway, prosecutors said Tuesday.

If a court agrees with that assessment, the self-declared anti-Muslim militant cannot be sentenced to prison but will be subjected to compulsory psychiatric care, prosecutors told reporters in Oslo.

"The conclusions of the forensic experts is that Anders Behring Breivik was insane," prosecutor Svein Holden said, adding Breivik was in a state of psychosis during Norway's worst peacetime massacre.

In Norway, an insanity defence requires that a defendant be in a state of psychosis while committing the crime with which he or she is charged. That means the defendant has lost contact with reality to the point that he's no longer in control of his own actions.

The 243-page report will be reviewed by a panel from the Norwegian Board of Forensic Medicine, which could ask for additional information and add its own opinions ....
CTV.ca, 29 Nov 11

The Norwegian far-right militant who massacred 77 people last summer gave a clenched-fist salute, smirked at the court and pleaded not guilty on the first day of a trial that threatens to turn into a "circus" showcasing his anti-Islamic views.

Anders Behring Breivik, 33, has said he acted in defense of his country by setting off a car bomb that killed eight people at government headquarters in Oslo last July, then killing another 69 people in a shooting spree at a summer youth camp organized by the ruling Labour Party.

The real question of the trial will be whether Breivik will be declared insane or guilty. While he risks being kept behind bars for the rest of his life, the high school dropout has said being labeled insane would be a "fate worse than death".

Listening impassively for hours as prosecutors read out an indictment detailing how he massacred teenagers trapped on a holiday island outside Oslo, he only shed tears when the court later showed one of his propaganda videos ....
Reuters, 16 Apr 12

Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik gestures as he arrives for his terrorism and murder trial in a courtroom in Oslo April 16, 2012. REUTERS/Heiko Junge/Pool
2012-04-16T120453Z_1_CBRE83F0XK700_RTROPTP_2_NORWAY-TRIAL-APPEARANCE.JPG

I shall keep my thoughts to myself on what SHOULD be done with this......specimen.

An update on the case of that mass killer Breivik from Norway:

Associated Press

Norwegian court rules mass killer Breivik's rights violated
The Associated Press
April 20, 2016

STOCKHOLM - Norwegian authorities have violated mass killer Anders Behring Breivik's human rights by holding him in solitary confinement in a three-cell complex where he can play video games, watch TV and exercise, a court in Oslo ruled Wednesday.

In a written decision, the Oslo district court said Breivik's solitary confinement for killing 77 people in 2011 bomb-and-gun massacres breached the European Convention on Human Rights' ban on inhuman treatment.

"The prohibition of inhuman and degrading treatment represents a fundamental value in a democratic society," the court said. "This applies no matter what — also in the treatment of terrorists and killers."

(...SNIPPED)

This piece of shit should have no rights, hell, he's barely human.  Makes me want to puke.

Bumped with the latest on this guy #CantMakeThisShitUp ...
Mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik gave a Nazi salute on Tuesday as he arrivedin court for a parole hearing that will decide if he should be released after spending more than a decade behind bars.

(...)

With a shaven head and dressed in a dark suit, Breivik made a white supremacist sign with his fingers before raising his right arm in a Nazi salute to signal his far-right ideology as he entered the court.

He also carried signs, printed in English, including one that said "Stop your genocide against our white nations" and "Nazi-Civil-War".

(...)

Addressing the court, Breivik blamed his crimes on online radicalisation by a leaderless network of far-right extremists, which he said had motivated his attacks.

"I was brainwashed," Breivik said ...
Ya think?

An update on the case of that mass killer Breivik from Norway:

Associated Press
So he’s being held in solitary confinement, partially for his own safety and partially so he doesn’t spread his views among members of the general population.

However, he has 3 cells to himself, along with a decent television, video game consoles, and access to a DVD player. (His consoles are older and do not have wifi, and the games for those consoles can’t be violence based. No CoD for asshat.)

He murdered 69 kids at a summer camp, in which he pretended to be a police officer. Gunned them down in cold blood, and hunted down those who had a managed to initially flee until police deployed & stopped him.

Kids. At summer camp. Gunned down en-mass. Because his views on immigration policy are vastly more important to him than his views on murdering innocent people…

And in his plea to be released, saying he’d been brainwashed by internet bullshit… he shows his sincerity by giving a Nazi salute? Really?

F**k him.

Back