• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

The fact that the UCP lost 11 seats, and a large chunk of Calgary, in a booming economy in a naturally right-of-centre province is telling. Not to mention of anecdotes of UCP campaign workers telling people while door-knocking “Don’t worry! Smith won’t last 18 months. It’s safe to vote for us!”

If the right were split like a few years ago, Notley would be premier again.

Jagmeat in charge of Alberta would cause a mass exodus to the US.

Jagmeat in charge of Alberta would cause a mass exodus to the US.
You realize that the federal and provincial NDP are distinct entities, right? And that Alberta’s NDP has, quite sensibly, both operated and actually governed more independently from the federal party than the NDP in any other province?

You realize that the federal and provincial NDP are distinct entities, right? And that Alberta’s NDP has, quite sensibly, both operated and actually governed more independently from the federal party than the NDP in any other province?

Alberta NDP is a section of the Federal party, you can't join one without the other. Joining the ANDP means you join the Federal NDP of canada, it's literally on the first page of their constitution. Both are cancers onto this country.

To try clarify, here's a couple of other opinions.

“Unlike other political parties in Canada, the federal NDP and the provincial NDP are formally one party united under a governance arrangement,” says Rempel Garner. “This means the decisions the federal NDP makes in Ottawa are directly reflected on the provincial party's decisions and vice versa.”

"The federal and provincial (or territorial) level NDPs are more integrated than other political parties in Canada, and have shared membership (except for the New Democratic Party of Quebec).[15] "

That’s exactly what it means- it’s a pure numbers thing by percentage of the population- followed by the theories that it’s because of factors that may be related to systemic issues that contribute to the number- that we have an ethical obligation to address. It’s all of the above.

It is my anecdotal observation that programs that keep people out of jail lead to more victims in the community- and more victims make more people graduate from victim to victimizer as they grow up

Programs that lead to more educate and deal with social factors are better at addressing things than things like repeated bail and probation because of “factors”
Agree. Diversion from incarceration without doing the other necessary things is an incomplete package, but the diversion part is cheap, easy and noticeable, the rest is not.

No worries about anything tangible happening. They've been promising clean water, on reserves, for decades (every election) and still haven't delivered.
To carry on the derail just a wee bit further, the fact that there is a boil water advisory in a community - FN or otherwise - does not mean that the water is actually unsafe in all cases, but it is at risk of contamination. The be clear, the water on some FNTs is unpotable, but the criteria for an installed water system is that the water be treated; otherwise it is at risk of contamination and an advisory is issued.

If my private well was judged by the same standards, our house, along with most every other house on a private well, would have a boil water advisory applied to it because the water is not treated. Heck, as kids, our water at the cottage came straight out of the lake.

Various sources say there are currently about 28 long-term advisories under federal jurisdiction, 139 hve been lifted since 2015. On is too many, but I'm not convinced it as dire as some claim.

New Democratic Party is not that new and it doesn't appear to be too democratic either. It might be a good party though...... ;)

Alberta NDP is a section of the Federal party, you can't join one without the other. Joining the ANDP means you join the Federal NDP of canada, it's literally on the first page of their constitution. Both are cancers onto this country.
And yet, when AB NDP actually governed, they certainly weren’t blinding following national level dictate. They trod their own provincial path on issues of concern to Alberta. Not to say that that’s a path you or I or any particular person would agree with, but pretending that a provincial NDP is wholly bound to what the federal party orders isn’t backed by facts.

I’m also sure that we can do better than declaring one party or another a ‘cancer’ for Canada or any particular province. This site has worked hard to keep a better degree of civility than that on the politics threads. Any point that needs to be made can be made on the strength of a decent argument and not just dropping slurs.

I honestly find the NDP far more palatable to the federal Liberals even though I disagree with the NDP on almost everything. And if anyone was paying attention when Notley was premier, she frequently told Singh to shove it, regardless what their party’s constitution said.

And yet, when AB NDP actually governed, they certainly weren’t blinding following national level dictate. They trod their own provincial path on issues of concern to Alberta. Not to say that that’s a path you or I or any particular person would agree with, but pretending that a provincial NDP is wholly bound to what the federal party orders isn’t backed by facts.

I’m also sure that we can do better than declaring one party or another a ‘cancer’ for Canada or any particular province. This site has worked hard to keep a better degree of civility than that on the politics threads. Any point that needs to be made can be made on the strength of a decent argument and not just dropping slurs.
Has it, though? The word "moron" has been dropped as a descriptor of people who don't think right properly for quite a while now with little to no wiener slaps issued.

The fact that the UCP lost 11 seats, and a large chunk of Calgary, in a booming economy in a naturally right-of-centre province is telling. Not to mention of anecdotes of UCP campaign workers telling people while door-knocking “Don’t worry! Smith won’t last 18 months. It’s safe to vote for us!”

If the right were split like a few years ago, Notley would be premier again.

What ifs are fun but meaningless.

Having said that, as I posted above DS has work to do. And if she wants to grow or win next time she had better get on with it.

Has it, though? The word "moron" has been dropped as a descriptor of people who don't think right properly for quite a while now with little to no wiener slaps issued.

But not usually to refer in whole to a party or to a specific political figure, which I think is more in line with the site owner’s intent. The decorum rules aren’t in place to prohibit us from acknowleding the existence, individually or in groups, or dumb people. I’ve always understood it to be to try to curb useless vitriol that screws the site up.

But not usually to refer in whole to a party or to a specific political figure, which I think is more in line with the site owner’s intent. The decorum rules aren’t in place to prohibit us from acknowleding the existence, individually or in groups, or dumb people. I’ve always understood it to be to try to curb useless vitriol that screws the site up.
All the participants in The great Ottawa Inconvenience and Overreaction were described by that word repeatedly on these means. Not looking for a fight, just making a tiny point.

Don't follow their politics, but home prices are attractive.

$420, 507 in Edmonton. $551,853 in Calgary.

Versus $1,196,101 in Toronto.

Average Home Prices by Province (May 2023)​

Ontario$928,897

Alberta$470,037

Lowish housing, low tax, low gas prices and a government that pushes back against the dictatorship in Ottawa. What's not to like.

Probably the truest words that I've seen in any party platform (anywhere, anytime, but more applicable to Alberta than any other jurisdiction) was found in the Alberta Party platform.

We constantly refer to the “Alberta Advantage”, an environment where taxes are low, opportunities are generally high, and hard work is rewarded. As a general statement, this sentiment is still true regardless of who forms the government election after election.

Taxes will remain some of the lowest in the country, opportunities exist in multiple sectors, and although Calgary currently has the highest unemployment rate for cities in Canada, we have enjoyed general prosperity in this province.

My mother and sister live in Cold Lake. They love living in Alberta. I've been out there, and don't blame them.

Sister's been stationed, and lived there for many years. She says it's been a great place to live and raise her kids and horses.

Had nothing to do with current party politics.

Back