• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

Looks like the very heavy criticism of this bill has borne fruit. Smith said today that amendments will be introduced to water down some of the unconstitutionally broad powers the bill proposes to grant provincial cabinet.

Looks like the very heavy criticism of this bill has borne fruit. Smith said today that amendments will be introduced to water down some of the unconstitutionally broad powers the bill proposes to grant provincial cabinet.

So I guess she was actually doing something wrong?

You know, considering most of you on here regard Alberta as your retarded cousin that nobody likes to acknowledge, you sure have a lot to say about it. You don't want it. You don't want to let it go. Just what the fuck do you want other than for us to just STFU and bask in whatever largess the Capitol bestows upon us? Usual roasters form an orderly line please, don't all rush me at once.

You know, considering most of you on here regard Alberta as your retarded cousin that nobody likes to acknowledge, you sure have a lot to say about it. You don't want it. You don't want to let it go. Just what the fuck do you want other than for us to just STFU and bask in whatever largess the Capitol bestows upon us? Usual roasters form an orderly line please, don't all rush me at once.
I think part of the negative perception comes from the way Alberta has historically voted. Go back and look at past federal elections (I stopped at 1962) and you'll see the majority of the Alberta, if not all of it, elects nothing but right-wing MPs (PC/CPC/Reform/Alliance). Look elsewhere in the country (Ontario, Quebec, NS) and you'll see that over the decades, they have switched between supporting Liberal/Conservative/NDP/PQ depending on the election and what was going on in Canada at the time. So, there could be a explainable and justifiable reason why Alberta ended up this way (so this isn't a claim to say that Alberta/Albertans are wrong in who they chose to elect), but it does makes Alberta/Albertans appear to be extremely partisan, voting not for the person/party that is actually best suited to lead and deal with the issues of the day, but instead voting conservative "because that's what we do." And honestly, while I don't think that this is the case, the loudest mouth breathers from Alberta are certainly not helping to disqualify my hypothesis; when you roll around with F*ck Trudeau stickers everywhere and blame literally everything on Trudeau (not the LPC, Trudeau himself), it makes it seem like people from Alberta aren't actually thinking critically about issues, and instead are just blaming everything on Trudeau, because they're from Alberta and that's what Albertans do.

I think part of the negative perception comes from the way Alberta has historically voted. Go back and look at past federal elections (I stopped at 1962) and you'll see the majority of the Alberta, if not all of it, elects nothing but right-wing MPs (PC/CPC/Reform/Alliance). Look elsewhere in the country (Ontario, Quebec, NS) and you'll see that over the decades, they have switched between supporting Liberal/Conservative/NDP/PQ depending on the election and what was going on in Canada at the time. So, there could be a explainable and justifiable reason why Alberta ended up this way (so this isn't a claim to say that Alberta/Albertans are wrong in who they chose to elect), but it does makes Alberta/Albertans appear to be extremely partisan, voting not for the person/party that is actually best suited to lead and deal with the issues of the day, but instead voting conservative "because that's what we do." And honestly, while I don't think that this is the case, the loudest mouth breathers from Alberta are certainly not helping to disqualify my hypothesis; when you roll around with F*ck Trudeau stickers everywhere and blame literally everything on Trudeau (not the LPC, Trudeau himself), it makes it seem like people from Alberta aren't actually thinking critically about issues, and instead are just blaming everything on Trudeau, because they're from Alberta and that's what Albertans do.
You mean the people of Alberta exercise their democratic right to vote as they see fit within a fair and impartial election system? Those bastards. Partisan politics? In out streets? Are you making this up?

PS have you ever lived here? Know anyone who has lived here? Even tried to see where we're coming from? Oh right, I got friends with a condo in Banff.

You mean the people of Alberta exercise their democratic right to vote as they see fit within a fair and impartial election system? Those bastards. Partisan politics? In out streets? Are you making this up?

PS have you ever lived here? Know anyone who has lived here? Even tried to see where we're coming from? Oh right, I got friends with a condo in Banff.
If you take the same route home, day after day, even when there's a reported accident on that route and your coworkers are telling you before you leave work to take a different route that will be faster, but you keep going the same route and get home late every time there's an accident on that route, well, it's your choice, but your coworkers are going to start wondering if you have any sense about you.

Hey, and don't take it personally, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I was simply opining a possibility as to why many in Canada view Alberta the way they do, not my own belief.

If you take the same route home, day after day, even when there's a reported accident on that route and your coworkers are telling you before you leave work to take a different route that will be faster, but you keep going the same route and get home late every time there's an accident on that route, well, it's your choice, but your coworkers are going to start wondering if you have any sense about you.

Hey, and don't take it personally, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. You asked why does the rest of Canada have this particular view point toward Alberta? Well I opined a possibility, not my own belief.
For an opinion you don't share, you sure do share it a lot.

For an opinion you don't share, you sure do share it a lot.
Really? I think the only other comments I've made on Alberta are about the Sovereignty Act, which is more of an attack on the Smith and the UPC than on Alberta, Albertans, or the rest of Canada's views on Alberta.

AB is where I plan to retreat to if things get too bad in BC. Without AB, I'd have to think about the US midwest. So I sit here cackling in my lair, nudging it a bit here and there.

I agree Kat. The only real bitching, I've seen from out there comes from Notley who is asking her buddy trudeau to come down hard on the idea. Pretty well all of the other public detractors are legacy media idiots from the east and self serving politicians looking at their hold on Alberta slipping away. Mostly in Ottawa. We need her to start a new chapter in federal/ provincial responsibilities. I also want, desperately, for her to succeed just to see her shove it up trudeau's ass.

So she had a moment of reflection. Maybe she had a sit down with her supporters. All the Citizen said was she faced heavy criticism. Doesn’t name anyone though. It could be no more than Barton, Coyne, Hebert and the red and orange liberals doing their typical whining and slagging. Nobody can say with certainty the reason or catalyst that brought her to her decision.

You know, considering most of you on here regard Alberta as your retarded cousin that nobody likes to acknowledge, you sure have a lot to say about it.

My sister calls it her "forever home". :)

I don't ask who she votes for.

You spelled democracy wrong. Free to vote your conscience without threat or coercion. Who are you to tell them their choices are wrong. I've always voted Ontario. I've never missed a municipal, provincial and federal election Not including municipal, I have always voted Conservative also. So what are you saying about me?
Lots of Fuck Trudeau stickers and flags outside of Alberta. I see lots right here. A group of vehicles went through here last week, sporting lots of flags, signs and stickers. I'd even go so far as to say Ontario might sport more. We just have a bigger more spread out population.
Mouth breathers. Holy fuck, seriously? Know your audience.
The PMO, trudeau, is the liberal party. Nobody does anything without his direction. So yeah, it is trudeau that deserves all the scorn. The dictator is the face of the junta.
And people like you like to think they are far superior than others. But that's what people sharing their opinion and then absolving themselves saying they are just playing devils advocate do. Have some conviction and cajones man. Accept responsibility for your words.

AB is where I plan to retreat to if things get too bad in BC. Without AB, I'd have to think about the US midwest. So I sit here cackling in my lair, nudging it a bit here and there.
Lots of us have that plan Brad.😉

You spelled democracy wrong. Free to vote your conscience without threat or coercion. Who are you to tell them their choices are wrong. I've always voted Ontario. I've never missed a municipal, provincial and federal election Not including municipal, I have always voted Conservative also. So what are you saying about me?
Lots of Fuck Trudeau stickers and flags outside of Alberta. I see lots right here. A group of vehicles went through here last week, sporting lots of flags, signs and stickers. I'd even go so far as to say Ontario might sport more. We just have a bigger more spread out population.
Mouth breathers. Holy fuck, seriously? Know your audience.
The PMO, trudeau, is the liberal party. Nobody does anything without his direction. So yeah, it is trudeau that deserves all the scorn. The dictator is the face of the junta.
And people like you like to think they are far superior than others. But that's what people sharing their opinion and then absolving themselves saying they are just playing devils advocate do. Have some conviction and cajones man. Accept responsibility for your words.
Orange bit: Holy Graf Zeppelin Batman, do you activity try and misrepresent the things I say, or does it just sort of happen naturally? I very clearly in my post said that I wasn't making ANY claims as to whether their voting choices were right or wrong. I only opined that their consistent voting choices MAY be a reason why some people in Canada hold a negative view of Alberta.

Green bit: the F*ck Trudeau crowd, regardless of where they're from, blame Trudeau for things that aren't even within the purview of him, the PMO, or the federal government. This is what I was referring to.

Blue bit: First off, don't tell me what to do. This is a free country and I am under absolutely zero obligation to render an opinion.

Second, are you against trying to be helpful and provide perspective? You know, it actually is possible for a person to provide perspective or clarity on a position/or opinion that is not their own, don't you? Like, let's say I was a hardcore supporter of the liberals and I was at a friend's house with similarly leaning friends and one of them said "I can't believe anyone would vote conservative, their supporters must be idiots", I could easily, despite being a liberal supporter, provide those misguided friends with plenty of reasons as to why people vote conservative, and why conservative people aren't just stupid. How is that possible, @Fishbone Jones, if my own position is a liberal one? Would me making these argument (ie. me being the Devil's Advocate for the Conservatives) mean that I secretly have an positive opinion of the Conservatives that I must be hiding from everyone? No. It doesn't, so stop insinuating that just because I am capable of seeing and explaining multiple different perspectives on an issue/argument that I must be hiding something and need to grow a pair.

I think you're being awfully thoughtful for something that's really just an us vs them scenario.

There is a growing schism in this county and it's not getting mended.

Also, I see a surprising amount of F Trudeau flags and sticks in NS.

This is a good thing. Nothing wrong with fine tuning. A problem we have is politicians holding on to ideas tooth and nail and unwilling to compromise or adjust. Look at our firearms legislation, driven by emotion and not fact. And no willingness from the LPC to adjust or compromise. Just an imposition of law.

I'm glad DS is mature enough to see something wasn't right and she sucked back and reloaded. That's a a facet of leadership, ownership and accountability.

Last edited:
This is a good thing. Nothing wrong with fine tuning. A problem we have is politicians holding on to ideas tooth and nail and unwilling to compromise or adjust. Look at our firearms legislation, driven by emotion and not fact. And no willingness from the LPC to adjust or compromise. Just an imposition of law.

I'm glad DS is mature enough to see something wasn't and right and she sucked back and reloaded. That's a a facet of leadership, ownership and accountability.
I’ll need to see more than polish on a turd before I’m particularly impressed on this; it’s easy to course correct when a bunch of people helpfully point out that you’re driving your speedboat directly at a quickly approaching lighthouse. However, yes, you’re right that she at least is making some changes in response to criticism. That’s something we should see more of from legislators.

I’ll need to see more than polish on a turd before I’m particularly impressed on this; it’s easy to course correct when a bunch of people helpfully point out that you’re driving your speed or directly at a quickly approaching lighthouse. However, yes, you’re right that she at least is making some changes in response to criticism. That’s something we should see more of from legislators.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing short of cancellation of this proposed legislation would be considered a polished turd for you.

I'm going to suspect you are not an Albertan, please correct me if I'm wrong. What is it that those not from Alberta hate so much in Alberta searching for a way to be more autonomous ?

Back