• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 Layoff Tracker: Latest Meta Cuts Could Hit 4,000

At one point last year there were more people doing dashboard summary reports than supporting fire protection and damage control systems for the RCN. I don't know if pointing that out helped get the billets filled, but the amount of 'policy and process' people seems to grow while actual technical support is stagnant. What's funny is they generally ignore our input when looking at processes changes, despite not actually using the processes the are looking at changing.
This is normal in most places. My workplace used to employ 180 front line workers, 10 planners, and 3 supervisors. Now it employs 40 front line workers, 10 planners and 3 supervisors. The current 40 front line workers are also less efficient than 40 of those 180 were because of constant switching and changing of machines so they don’t get as efficient as they used to on a process.

Part of it is just people refusing to re-evaluate the whole situation. If you have 3 supervisor positions, it doesn’t matter that they are handling 1/3 the employees, you don’t give up those positions. Mind you paperwork requirements of management had also gone up substantially so they basically are just managing emails rather than any actual front line supervising.

Part of it is also a lack of actual workers to make stuff happen. Look at the CAF if your trade is say able to have 100 people and you have only 40, those upper ranks are likely mostly filled and the lower ones tend to be where the vacancies are despite the lower ranks being the ones doing the actual work.

Problem is that every axe swinging exercise, ends up cutting frontline staff, because the useless types only job is protecting themselves from being cut. meanwhile the Frontliners are to busy working to see the axe.
The government needs to bring in a external effiency group to evaluate what we have, what we need it to do, and who to cut. Thats how the proper cuts are made. Sometimes it is worthwhile to completely reinvent the wheel to a more efficient system.

My previous employer did this. Basically they had this really attractive, friendly, young female come in to evaluate the jobs (male dominated industry). Most of the guys who had a lot of down time in their jobs would spend as much time trying to talk to her as possible. You can guess which jobs got substantial man power cuts or reassessed to do more work.

The government needs to bring in a external effiency group to evaluate what we have, what we need it to do, and who to cut.

Our "muni" government department used to bring in the efficiency experts when the cash was running low.

After every evaluation, they fired a bunch of supervisors and above. They had no union. So, they had no "Layoff and Re-call" seniority rights. They were history.

Used the saving to put more paramedics on the street. Response Time was their Holy Grail.

With an ever increasing Call Volume north of 700 a day, the decision to fire "white shirts"- and hire more "blueshirts" - was based on a simple mathematical formula: Unit hour Utilization ( UhU ).

Aren't hospital boards doing that? Govt $$$ will dry up sooner than later.

My ex is in hospital nursing management. They can burn through $.

Our department always relied on voluntary, and mandated, OT.

Especially during a pandemic. Working Quarantine if necessary. $$

The government needs to bring in a external effiency group to evaluate what we have, what we need it to do, and who to cut. Thats how the proper cuts are made. Sometimes it is worthwhile to completely reinvent the wheel to a more efficient system.

My previous employer did this. Basically they had this really attractive, friendly, young female come in to evaluate the jobs (male dominated industry). Most of the guys who had a lot of down time in their jobs would spend as much time trying to talk to her as possible. You can guess which jobs got substantial man power cuts or reassessed to do more work.

What Would You Say You Do Here Office Space GIF

Our "muni" government department used to bring in the efficiency experts when the cash was running low.

After every evaluation, they fired a bunch of supervisors and above. They had no union. So, they had no "Layoff and Re-call" seniority rights. They were history.

Used the saving to put more paramedics on the street. Response Time was their Holy Grail.

With an ever increasing Call Volume north of 700 a day, the decision to fire "white shirts"- and hire more "blueshirts" - was based on a simple mathematical formula: Unit hour Utilization ( UhU ).

My ex is in hospital nursing management. They can burn through $.

Our department always relied on voluntary, and mandated, OT.

Especially during a pandemic. Working Quarantine if necessary. $$
Vol OT, what? If one is workingthen expectation should be $$$.

Vol OT, what? If one is workingthen expectation should be $$$.

Voluntary OT, or mandated OT, you get paid in money or lieu time. Your choice. You don't work for free.

Just means sometimes you volunteer. Sometimes you are "volun-told".

eg: OT - volunteer or mandated, doesn't matter - on a Stat Holiday paid triple-time-and-a-half.

You could call in on days off and volunteer for OT. Then, refuse the money, and take the lieu time instead.

Which meant they had to call in more OT. And so on, and so on, ...

Voluntary OT, or mandated OT, you get paid in money or lieu time. Your choice. You don't work for free.

Just means sometimes you volunteer. Sometimes you are "volun-told".

eg: OT - volunteer or mandated, doesn't matter - on a Stat Holiday paid triple-time-and-a-half.

You could call in on days off and volunteer for OT. Then, refuse the money, and take the lieu time instead.

Which meant they had to call in more OT. And so on, and so on, ...
Ummmm thanks, Nother way of throwing $$ at a problem with no discernable solution beyond more folks.

Maybe sometimes it's cheaper to pay OT instead of hiring.
I really don't think so. IF I book sick and the managers need to call someone in and its OT then they are paying in reality three people - Me and double time for the staff that is called in.

Ummmm thanks, Nother way of throwing $$ at a problem with no discernable solution beyond more folks.

They try to keep the $$ under control. But, they face a lot of challenges.

Even with their best efforts, in our town, PCPs earned as high as $250,000 and ACPs as high as $260,000 last year.

That does not include Taxable Benefits.

They try to keep the $$ under control. But, they face a lot of challenges.

Even with their best efforts, in our town, PCPs earned as high as $250,000 and ACPs as high as $260,000 last year.

That does not include Taxable Benefits.
Just saw this now...

Holy cow, you guys have PCPs making $250k?

I feel like we pretty much just worked for the food that was destined for the trash at the end of the night, compared to the folks in your town 😳

I don't think I know a single PCP that made anywhere close to that when I had my fairly short stint with EMS

Back