• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior promotions and appointments

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
According to the latest news release Major-General M.H.L. Bourgon has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-General and remains Acting Chief Military Personnel and Acting Commander Military Personnel Command (CMP/CMPC), in Ottawa. Chief of the Defence Staff announces first 2023 Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior promotions and appointments - Canada.ca

My question if you are promoted to LGen how can you still be in an Acting position?

Yes... sort of ;)

Is the RAdm still officially posted in the job? For the GOFOs that get sidelined without being relieved I don't think they have posting options, even if they are effectively relieved of the duties.

According to the latest news release Major-General M.H.L. Bourgon has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-General and remains Acting Chief Military Personnel and Acting Commander Military Personnel Command (CMP/CMPC), in Ottawa. Chief of the Defence Staff announces first 2023 Canadian Armed Forces General and Flag Officer senior promotions and appointments - Canada.ca

My question if you are promoted to LGen how can you still be in an Acting position?
There's another LGen still officially in the position, pend court martial this fall.

There is ample administrative law to permit the removal from a position and cessation of pay; the usual citation is Ontario Jockey Club. The CAF has chosen to go its own way and keep paying members of the Regular Force to perform no duties.

But the CAF as a self regulating body has chosen not to cease pay.

CDS was acting for a while event if he was a Gen, so I guess yes!

I quickly counted 2019's CANFORGEN, there were about 40 promotions on that message.

hopefully this years list remain small, god only knows we have more GOFO's then we need
While I won't refute that, the massive lists are usually a knock on effect of people retiring. Even if one person at the L1 Staff level ditches, there's a hopper effect that sees folks move up or sideways to cover off.

Its like filling in the blank file, but with thousands of dollars in salary in the mix.

I quickly counted 2019's CANFORGEN, there were about 40 promotions on that message.
I remember way longer lists than this, too. I did notice this bit in the latest announcement:
... Additional General and Flag Officer promotions and appointments announced via CANFORGEN 070/23 for those at the rank of Rear-Admiral/Major-General and below will be available on the General and Flag Officer website by visiting General Officers and Flag Officers - Canada.ca ...
Would this be a way of (and this is the info-machine cynic in me talking) not spelling out exactly who's replacing who where & why who's leaving? Gotta know who's who in the zoo to figure out the shuffles by looking at the latest "here's all the GOFO's" list? Or has only one person moved/moved up this round?

Just saw this update on this case; posting it here as this was the thread that came up when I searched. Sounds like a short trial that should be wrapped up by August but like all plans...

As an aside, anyone know why it's being done in Ottawa, when it happened in Hawaii, while on a ship based out of Esquimalt in 1991? Guessing it was where the complaint was filed and there was probably some kind of agreement to do it in the Ottawa court for convenience but just curious about how that works, as it came up before that with things getting kicked over to the civilian courts you no longer had JAG reps, and if it was out of your work area you are SOL.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/edmundson-trial-begins-1.6928252

Former head of military HR pleads not guilty to sex offences​

Vice-Admiral Haydn Edmundson charged with sexual assault and committing indecent acts dating to 1991​

CBC News · Posted: Aug 08, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: August 8
A man in a military uniform gestures while making a speech.

Vice-Admiral Haydn Edmundson's trial has been scheduled for 13 days in August 2023. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press)
Vice-Admiral Haydn Edmundson, the military's former head of human resources, has pleaded not guilty to two charges dating back to 1991.
His trial proceedings began on Tuesday morning in an Ottawa civilian court.
Edmundson was charged in December 2021 with sexual assault and committing indecent acts. He has denied any wrongdoing and his lawyer, Brian Greenspan, has said Edmundson looks forward to restoring his reputation.
Edmundson has chosen to be tried in the Ontario Court of Justice, which means there will not be a jury.
A publication ban is in place protecting the identity of the complainant. During Edmundson's arraignment, the court said the offences allegedly took place on HMCS Provider when it was docked at Pearl Harbor in September through November 1991.
Most of Tuesday's proceedings were pre-trial motions, which were held in-camera.

As a former commander of Military Personnel Command, Edmundson had authority over career consequences for military members found to have engaged in sexual misconduct.
His office's mandate included eliminating harmful and inappropriate behaviour in the military and complying with a class-action lawsuit against the Canadian Armed Forces over sexual misconduct, according to the military's website.
Since early February 2021, multiple current and former senior Canadian military leaders have been sidelined, investigated, criminally charged or forced into retirement from some of the most powerful and prestigious posts in the defence establishment.
The court has scheduled 13 days — Aug. 8 through 24 — for this trial.

Just saw this update on this case; posting it here as this was the thread that came up when I searched. Sounds like a short trial that should be wrapped up by August but like all plans...

As an aside, anyone know why it's being done in Ottawa, when it happened in Hawaii, while on a ship based out of Esquimalt in 1991? Guessing it was where the complaint was filed and there was probably some kind of agreement to do it in the Ottawa court for convenience but just curious about how that works, as it came up before that with things getting kicked over to the civilian courts you no longer had JAG reps, and if it was out of your work area you are SOL.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/edmundson-trial-begins-1.6928252

Because the courts there have alot of experience prosecuting offending GOFOs? ;)

Because the courts there have alot of experience prosecuting offending GOFOs? ;)
🤯
Sadly, not wrong.

No idea how this will turn out, suspect these are hard cases to prosecute and hit the threshold for a conviction. Never met him but when the charges came out there was a lack of surprise with people that did so never a good sign. Innocent until proven guilty, but with the AR threshold being lower will be interesting to see how that works. Hopefully it's a case by case basis but probably a terrible spot to be in the AR seat.

Back