• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

What's crazier is people believe him.
That's because his delivery is polished and rehearsed. (JT probably dresses one of his kids in a PP mask and practices bereating him).

PP is the angry face of the Canadian Republican party.

If Canadians aren't angry with the current state of the country, we get what we deserve.
Yup, although I think the Chinese-Canadian diaspora must be getting a little less enthused by the incumbent Government’s word salad that fails to measure up with the actions required to ensure they aren’t bullied by a foreign authoritarian regime and there may be some impact to their take on next steps. Probably not enough of that impacting the 416/905 and 514/450 voting base…on verra

Will it matter? No. Not when Trudeau bleats incessantly about the existential danger to Canada from a SoCon, Trumpist, NRA funded CPC government. And if Trump wins in 2024, then PP and the CPC are done like dinner in 2025.
this post depressed me as I had convinced myself somehow that the election was to be in the fall of 2024 at the latest

Most people don't vote, let alone pay attention to politics and policies that affect their finances and lives. Canadians are fully responsible for the state of the county, either by voting or not. Voting, like filing taxes, should be mandatory.

Reactions: ueo

Seems people don’t believe he’ll do or be able to do the things he says he’ll do.
I think a lot would come down to what can be done by the executive versus what requires successful legislating. I don’t know how it works for CBC to be funded or who holds the reins on that. The carbon tax is legislatively enabled, but I don’t know if it could be neutered by regulation. Just not something I’ve looked at.

I think a lot would come down to what can be done by the executive versus what requires successful legislating. I don’t know how it works for CBC to be funded or who holds the reins on that. The carbon tax is legislatively enabled, but I don’t know if it could be neutered by regulation. Just not something I’ve looked at.
Probably can be done as easily as an OIC to ‘expand on legislation’… 😉

Probably can be done as easily as an OIC to ‘expand on legislation’… 😉
Heh, since you got me wondering, I searched “Governor in council” within the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act. Sure enough, it’s heavily regulatory in nature to make it work. I’m not gonna take any closer look at it, but I bet OIC regulations could effectively neuter the federal carbon tax system by changing various permissible pollutant thresholds and/or tax levies to as to make it meaningless.

I think you’ll find the OICs can actually achieve a lot. It’s just that normally it’s a power reserved for usage where time and appropriateness are factors, and not necessarily to work around legislation supported by a majority of Parliament (as representatives of the People)…OMMV

I think you’ll find the OICs can actually achieve a lot. It’s just that normally it’s a power reserved for usage where time and appropriateness are factors, and not necessarily to work around legislation supported by a majority of Parliament (as representatives of the People)…OMMV

You definitely missed my commentary on OIC regulations in the liberal party thread earlier today. I was all over that. I was pointing out how most of our functional law is, and must be, regulatory.

You definitely missed my commentary on OIC regulations in the liberal party thread earlier today. I was all over that. I was pointing out how most of our functional law is, and must be, regulatory.
I looked away for just a second, Your Honour! Lol

In related news. The PPC is making moves.

Bernier’s toast. CPC are viable contenders now should an election be triggered, and Poilievre has sapped some of of Bernier’s support. At this point Bernier/PPC are still scrabbling for relevance while their candidates slide more and more into a wacky fringe. If he wants a seat he’ll have better luck at Ikea.

Bernier’s toast. CPC are viable contenders now should an election be triggered, and Poilievre has sapped some of of Bernier’s support. At this point Bernier/PPC are still scrabbling for relevance while their candidates slide more and more into a wacky fringe. If he wants a seat he’ll have better luck at Ikea.
Agreed. And losing could be a nail in the coffin for him.

I wonder if their internal polling is telling them otherwise. It's not like the pivot to centre worked well for the last two guys.
PP has an adgenda. ill defined and almost opaque... but there. My gut says so!

The comments on that are interesting.
Folks who describe PP as being woke and on the left and that there is still 2-1/2 years until the next election to build the PPC into Canada’s next natural ruling party are…out standing in their own field.

It will be interesting to see if PP achieves the ‘balance’ to return some of what I think of as the Reform/Alliance-minded folks who broke from the CPC, back into the fold, while *not disenfranchising the red Tories.

Anyone who thinks that with polling so close today, that Trudeau will let an election happen after the September addition of five more seats to Parliament (1 BC, 3 AB, 1 ON), where it is likely that many of those seats will support the CPC, is fooling themselves. (Ref: House of Commons seat allocation by province 2022 to 2032 - Federal Electoral Districts Redistribution ).

Last edited:
Back