• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I actually prefer declining my ballot but the last time my spouse did that it took forever to get through the process due to befuddled polling officer. Spoiling is much faster. I refuse to not vote. I think that's abrogating your responsibility as a citizen but I do not have to pick the least offensive candidate either. I may be a small voice but it's a voice.

:cautious: .
As did I, with the same response. I can't remember if it was a federal or provincial election. According to elections Canada, a refused ballot is just lumped in with spoiled ballots.

What surprised me was her rejection of the proven scientific facts by reputable scientific organization

A thing to remember is that models and their outputs are not facts. So when you consider what the facts mean, be sure your estimate is starting with actual facts.

A thing to remember is that models and their outputs are not facts. So when you consider what the facts mean, be sure your estimate is starting with actual facts.
ACK. I understand. I have a science and engineering background.

Small blip but to be watched.
While the CPC has been wishy washy on the convoy the PPC has been nothing but fully supportive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those who are more supportive of the convoy signal their support for the PPC, and for the PPC to try to harness some of that fundraising power that the convoy has.

In brief, Pierre comes off as not a nice guy.

We sure don't need a nice guy running the place, and according to a bunch of you PMJT is the biggest blade since Judas. So why are so many people okay with him ANDTHESCANDALSBLACKFACEGROPEWEELBOWGRRRRAAAAHHHGGGGGG

Because he sounds like a nice guy to a few more voters. If a vote is at all influenced by the leader then this matters to people.

Don't give me that they're all just stupid, come on. The left forums are calling all of us troglodyte dummies as well, and they're at least half wrong :) And best not vote for the guy the base always wants - because the base ain't your lost votes.

In brief, Pierre comes off as not a nice guy.

We sure don't need a nice guy running the place, and according to a bunch of you PMJT is the biggest blade since Judas. So why are so many people okay with him ANDTHESCANDALSBLACKFACEGROPEWEELBOWGRRRRAAAAHHHGGGGGG

Because he sounds like a nice guy to a few more voters. If a vote is at all influenced by the leader then this matters to people.

Don't give me that they're all just stupid, come on. The left forums are calling all of us troglodyte dummies as well, and they're at least half wrong :) And best not vote for the guy the base always wants - because the base ain't your lost votes.

Feel better now ?

The truth is were in a situation like the USA was with Trump V Clinton and Trump V Biden ...

I will ask the same question I asked then, in a country of our population, wealth and education how is it that these are the people who find the way to be our political leaders ? We know better people are out there... Why is the cream not rising ?

Feel better now ?

The truth is were in a situation like the USA was with Trump V Clinton and Trump V Biden ...

I will ask the same question I asked then, in a country of our population, wealth and education how is it that these are the people who find the way to be our political leaders ? We know better people are out there... Why is the cream not rising ?
Why would they? They are likely doing bigger and better things.

Why put themselves in that mess? We could have the best person step up an they’ll just get labelled by one side or another. Why uproot your family and put yourself through that? Your life isn’t your own and you take nothing but flak for your efforts.

Why would they? They are likely doing bigger and better things.

Why put themselves in that mess? We could have the best person step up an they’ll just get labelled by one side or another. Why uproot your family and put yourself through that? Your life isn’t your own and you take nothing but flak for your efforts.

Sounds like being in the CAF...

Be reasonable. I have repeatedly been assured over the years that there are many good, fine, competent people in politics trying to make their communities, provinces, and the country a better place.

How it is that the governments so often end up with the worst of them holding the levers of control, is never explained.

Feel better now ?

Because politics is nothing but a blood sport right now.

The prime minister got pelted with rocks on campaign. He had to cancel rallies due to his security detail not being able to assure his safety.

O'Toole and Scheer got shanked by their own party.

Question period is a toxic screaming mess of immature adults.

Toss into all of this that unless your past is sqeaky clean, someone will find something off putting you did or said in your past.

All of this for less money than you would make in the private sector.

It's telling that the last 2 PMs have little life experience outside of politics, Andrew Scheer didnt have much, PP doesn't have any. The lawyers of the NDP havent faired well, Mulcair and Singh.

Then you have their families, dragged along for the ride. Spouses of the PM have no role in Canada, just expected to sit at and keep their mouths shut. Both Sophie Trudeau and Laureen Harper have been subject of vicious rumours and accused of affairs with the security details. The kids get to deal with having their family name dragged through the mud. Zero privacy.

In short, long hours, high stress, average pay, no privacy, not ideal family situation, personal attacks, past picked apart by opposition and the media, and you leave the job more hated than when you started. Only people who really want that are career politicians who know nothing but that.

Be reasonable. I have repeatedly been assured over the years that there are many good, fine, competent people in politics trying to make their communities, provinces, and the country a better place.

How it is that the governments so often end up with the worst of them holding the levers of control, is never explained.
I believe they are commonly referred to as 'backbenchers'.

The ones that follow their conscious when it doesn't follow the party line get sidelined or leave politics. Jane Philpott was by all accounts excellent and got stuff done. Rona Ambrose was also apparently quite effective as a minister. I'm sure there are lots of other examples.

On the flipside, there are also backbenchers who are oxygen theiving ballast, (cough Cheryl Gallant cough) who shouldn't be in charge of making coffee, let alone Govt policy decisions, so it's hard to gauge who is who.

On the flipside, there are also backbenchers who are oxygen theiving ballast, (cough Cheryl Gallant cough) who shouldn't be in charge of making coffee, let alone Govt policy decisions, so it's hard to gauge who is who.
Uugh… 🤦🏻

Hector ‘Give ‘em Heck!’ Cloutier was a cataract er in Renfrew-Nipissing federal politics, but far an above what Ms. Gallant is… 😞

Probably for most smart successful people of good character, rewards < costs to get involved in politics. Most insanely normal people will not subject themselves and their families to putting targets on their backs so they can try make the country better. They would rather keep their head down and make their small part better without seeking the limelight.

Which gets me thinking: most successful PM’s have been assholes to one degree or another (name me one “nice guy” that was PM for more than a blink of an eye). But what those successful assholes had in common was they had enough appeal outside their base for enough time to last a few terms.

I am still not convinced that Mr. Pollievre has much appeal outside the Tory base to be successful. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but his embrace of lawless activity and his attack-dog style make me believe that won’t happen. 🤷‍♂️

I am still not convinced that Mr. Pollievre has much appeal outside the Tory base to be successful. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but his embrace of lawless activity and his attack-dog style make me believe that won’t happen. 🤷‍♂️
You must be a subscriber of fake news. Whatever gave you that idea?

Probably for most smart successful people of good character, rewards < costs to get involved in politics. Most insanely normal people will not subject themselves and their families to putting targets on their backs so they can try make the country better. They would rather keep their head down and make their small part better without seeking the limelight.

Which gets me thinking: most successful PM’s have been assholes to one degree or another (name me one “nice guy” that was PM for more than a blink of an eye). But what those successful assholes had in common was they had enough appeal outside their base for enough time to last a few terms.

i wouldn’t put it past PP to start the whole “if I don’t win it’s rigged line”.

Back