• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2014 Ontario General Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
recceguy said:
Every political party makes grandiose statements and promises when campaigning. Once the votes are counted, the usual deference and apologies are made. "Once we had a look at the books, we realized we're in much worse shape and owe much more than the previous government let on. In order to keep some of our promises we're going to have to rethink some of our others (new taxes, levies, hirings & firings, layoffs and pension package buy outs)".
TOO true!

Hatchet Man said:
The bolded part.  I have been engaged with the wife of one of my friends on FB, since she is a teacher, and Hudak made mention of few teachers.  So she obviously now things Hudak is evil and she has to vote liberal.  I guess she forgot when the liberals turned on teachers what 2 - 3 years ago.

And considering the teacher's put us in this McGuinty/Wynne mess in the first place because they didn't like Harris balancing the books....

PuckChaser said:
And considering the teacher's put us in this McGuinty/Wynne mess in the first place because they didn't like Harris balancing the books....
...and how's that?

.....and when you have to sell off your car to not go farther in the hole this year, did you really balance your books? [think 407 and what would have been next]

..and as much as I want to vote Conservative this election, is this, and him,  the same group of "The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" morons that wrecked Mr. Harris's plans way back when?
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/11/tim-hudak-photo-op-derailed-on-ttc-subway

David Parkins, in the Globe and Mail has summed up the first week +, I think, in this cartoon:

web-monedcar12col1.jpg

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/no-wifi-in-the-garden-of-eden/article18348706/#dashboard/follows/

Kathleen Wynne appears, to me to have been the clear winner by picking a "soft target:" the feds. She has given those who are inclined to vote Liberal someone else to blame: Stephen Harper. Next she needs to go after Andrea Horwath and the NDP ~ she, Wynne, needs to "unite the left" and that means taking votes away from Horwath.

Mr Hudak seems to be helping the Wynne campaign by wallowing in gaffes.

There's four + weeks to go, and we all should remember Harold Wilson's admonition that "a week is a long time in politics."

E.R. Campbell said:
Mr Hudak seems to be helping the Wynne campaign by wallowing in gaffes.

There's four + weeks to go, and we all should remember Harold Wilson's admonition that "a week is a long time in politics."

Yes, that's four weeks to drop the floor even lower, and end up with a Liberal Majority and NDP official opposition.  I have faith in Hudak's abilities - but not in a positive way...

dapaterson said:
Yes, that's four weeks to drop the floor even lower, and end up with a Liberal Majority and NDP official opposition.  I have faith in Hudak's abilities - but not in a positive way...

:ditto:

I agree with you. I'm going to vote Conservative ... despite Tim Hudak. Ms Wynne and the Liberals have earned a rest; the NDP have a whole raft of economically nonsensical policy proposals, and I cannot, here in Ottawa centre, see a useful protest candidate (e.g. the Green Party's Kevin O'Donnell).

If Ontario votes Liberal after the last 10+ years of their horrendous mismanagement then they deserve to go down the shitter. A have-not province heading for welfare province status. Soooooo glad I'm getting out of this province, never to return.

Ms Wynne has picked a soft target indeed. Mr Harper has quite correctly stayed out of provincial election campaigns thus far. Just the same, you can only poke the hornet's nest so much before you get stung.

2 Cdo said:
If Ontario votes Liberal after the last 10+ years of their horrendous mismanagement then they deserve to go down the shitter. A have-not province heading for welfare province status. Soooooo glad I'm getting out of this province, never to return.

I suspect the vote may not be "for" the Liberals, but rather "against" Hudak and Horvath.  The NDP lack a compelling narrative, since the Liberals are taking the NDP platform and have a greater chance of forming a government, while the greatest deterrent to voting Conservative is their leader.

Divide, conquer and come up the middle is a tried and true Liberal technique.  Give them a majority and they'll mercilessly steal from either side of the aisle (6 and 5, anyone?).

Within the next decade the bond market, not the politicians, not officials and certainly not the 'people' will decide Ontario's fate: massive austerity, HUGE public sector job losses - including nurses, police and fire services, and higher costs for everything for everybody.

The sooner someone, Conservative or Liberal, starts down that road, cuts spending, cuts the public employment rolls, raises the costs of services, the more fairly, and easily, the pain will be shared. Conversely the longer politicians remain beholden to the people's desire for 'free' services, health care for example, and even free goods, like roads, the worse the inevitable pain will be. Eventually all the pipers, not just the ones who belong to public sector unions, must be paid ... oh, and bond holders get paid first and they get paid 100% of what's owed, we all share the the leftovers, if there are any.

dapaterson said:
I suspect the vote may not be "for" the Liberals, but rather "against" Hudak and Horvath.  The NDP lack a compelling narrative, since the Liberals are taking the NDP platform and have a greater chance of forming a government, while the greatest deterrent to voting Conservative is their leader.

And for the above reasons see no alternative but to vote Wynne/Liberal. Horvath is in over her head and I can't choke down Hudak personally or his economic thinking on what is best for Ontario.

Not that I disagree with the general line of your thinking ER.

And she is a Queen's grad. ;)

Baden Guy said:
And for the above reasons see no alternative but to vote Wynne/Liberal. Horvath is in over her head and I can't choke down Hudak personally or his economic thinking on what is best for Ontario.

How's that economic thinking the Libs have shown working for you? Be prepared to enjoy your welfare province full of nothing but part-time McJobs.

Baden Guy said:
And for the above reasons see no alternative but to vote Wynne/Liberal.

Yep, Ontario could definitely use 4 more years of deficit, taxes, and economic destruction. Not to mention the blatant corruption and vote-buying with public money.  :facepalm:

We have town hall meeting on Wednesday over here, if I have the option of staying vs coming bag to a lieberal run Ontario, I am staying here. 

Baden Guy said:

So, you agree with my general thinking but you plan to vote to make the inevitable correction less fair and more difficult for ordinary, working Ontarians ...

I cannot stand Hudak the person, but his party is the only one that is not proposing economic rubbish.

Remember Denis Healey's First Law of Holes:

If-youre-in-a-hole-stop-digging.jpg

As far as I can see the totality of the Horwath and Wynne plans are to dig! Dig!! DIG!!!

Hudak is the only one who is not mad as a hatter.

E.R. Campbell said:
Hudak is the only one who is not mad as a hatter.

Unfortunately, the behaviour of a significant portion of Ontario voters fits the definition of insanity: trying the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  This time is no different.  ::)

Hudak's plan is ideological. Shrinking the economy by cutting too quickly will send it into a death spiral. The Federal Cons try to match cuts to slightly less than the growth rate for just this reason. This is basic economics 101.  Hudak and Horvath are lightweights and ideologues. Corrupt but ever so slightly more competent is the best we got.

And the part that never ceases to amaze me about Hudak:

"Hudak attended the University of Western Ontario, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics in 1990. He then studied at the University of Washington in Seattle on a full scholarship. He received a master's degree in economics in 1993."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hudak

So maybe he's knows what he is talking about??.........just askin'......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back