• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2012 Phenomenon

Cdnleaf

Inactive
Reaction score
Starting this post with a note before anyone kicks me in the mil points.  I'm not trolling, spamming, fear mongering and my interest lies simply in tabling for constructive discussion.  I respect the judgement of the mods/staff to close, restrict or do whatever with this post.

Having spent my 2000 New Year dry/close to a phone awaiting the millennium bug.  There appears to be a similar amount of energy concerning 2012; from the Mayan Calender, to the effect of Solar Flares and Geomagnetic Reversal.  Fuelling what appears to be a significant (100s millions perhaps billion) dollar economy on bunker and underground condo building.  Google or UTube for reference on some of the construction projects.

Thoughts / observations?

Wikipedia Link provided for general reference:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon 

"History is replete with turning points. You must have faith that the Universe will unfold as it should."

Spock.

I believe it was already proven that the Mayan Calendar was misinterpreted. The real Dooms Day is really a couple centuries from now.

2012? Pfft. I don't know how many prophets have said when the world will end based off some little kernel of evidence, but none of them have been right. Let's just say I'm betting with the odds on this one.

I'd be more worried about the Year 2038 Problem. Nothing like reliving the magical days of Dec 13 1901!

I'm more worried about 2013 - that's when my CE is up, and am trying to decide if I'll re-up or not.  End of the world...oh well, I guess that means I get another tour before I retire  ;D.

MM

I just finished a paper on the crazy things people believe in and the pseudo-science used to support these ideas.  Things like:  astrology, Freudian Psychoanalysis, UFO landings, Marxism, etc...

In George Steiner's Massey Lectures called Nostalgia for the Absolute (1974), he attributes the rise of these "surrogate theologies" to the decline of Christianity in the west.  Basically, he says that the Church is leaving a vacuum in our society where there used to be something greater than ourselves to believe in.  In an attempt to satisfy this desperate need to have structure in the universe, people are turning to all sorts alternative belief systems that claim to be based in science, but in reality have more in common in the religions they seek to replace.

This 2012 business fits Steiner's theory well...

See... the reason why people have this misinterpretation of the Mayan calendar and say it'll be the end of the world is actually because when the Mayan calendar was created; they didn't expect their people to live past 2012. Nowadays... there's only a small population of people in this world who are of Mayan blood (because most of them were killed by rival tribes and the white Conquerers).

It's all stupid if you ask me.

If you had to carve your calendar into a piece of stone with a rock chisel would you stop at the end of the current cycle that was centuries after your death or keep going? 2012 had no special significance for the Mayans. No more than New Years will have for us later this month.

Millenialism has many examples in history. 1000 AD was my favourite. There actually was massive starvation in Europe that winter. Farmers had not planted crops or stored food, expecting the world to end on New Years. Natural selection at its best.

Harold Egbert Camping (born July 19, 1921)

Perhaps it is only his world life that will be ending.  He is already 89, going on 90.  Perhaps this is the day he predicts he will give up the ghost, expire, pass on, succumb, depart, meet his maker, ................

Neil deGrasse Tyson host of NOVA Science Now (PBS) talked about 2012 myth many times. He is an awesome communicator but also points out how critical thinking using a scientific method (all in the method) helps to get closer to the reality.

Here, in the following hyperlink a great interview he gave recently:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheScienceFoundation#p/u/5/xKOoTRE1HUc

Aflockalypse Now? Not Really, Experts Say

Dr. Michio Kaku, one of the world's premiere Physicists, says that these things happen all the time.

In the last 30 years there have been 16 incidents of Blackbird die-offs all over the world.  Overall, on average 163 general animal-die offs happen every year," Kaku said in an interview on America Live with Megyn Kelly.

Now Mr. Camping is saying the world will end tomorrow.    ::)

Guess that means I don't have to get any Halloween candy!!  :witch:

PMedMoe said:

I wonder how many other pathetic losers this wanker will lead down the garden path this time out?

PMedMoe said:

As long as he keeps making predictions, there is a possibility he could be right some day.

My prediction is that he'll ultimately be one day late, and all of his followers will still be in the middle of their final arrangements, while the rest of us will be blissfully unaware. 8) 

Necropost here, but it seems that Harold Camping, the "doomsday prophet" has died.

California doomsday prophet Harold Camping dead at 92

Evangelical broadcaster Harold Camping, who rallied thousands of followers and stirred an international media frenzy with a failed doomsday prophecy two years ago, has died at his home near San Francisco, a spokeswoman for his radio outlet said on Tuesday.

Camping, who was 92, died peacefully in Alameda, California, on Sunday surrounded by members of his family, said Nina Romero, marketing manager for the Oakland-based Family Radio network.

More at link

PMedMoe said:
Necropost here, but it seems that Harold Camping, the "doomsday prophet" has died.

California doomsday prophet Harold Camping dead at 92

Evangelical broadcaster Harold Camping, who rallied thousands of followers and stirred an international media frenzy with a failed doomsday prophecy two years ago, has died at his home near San Francisco, a spokeswoman for his radio outlet said on Tuesday.

Camping, who was 92, died peacefully in Alameda, California, on Sunday surrounded by members of his family, said Nina Romero, marketing manager for the Oakland-based Family Radio network.

More at link

I wonder if he predicted it was coming?

Back