• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2011 Japanese Earthquake/Tsunami

Mudshuvel

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
From www.cnn.com

Tokyo (CNN) -- The most powerful earthquake to hit Japan in at least 100 years unleashed walls of water Friday that swept across rice fields, engulfing towns, dragging houses onto highways and tossing cars and boats like toys.

Local media reported at least 32 deaths, with more casualties feared. And the 8.9-magnitude quake, which struck at 2:46 p.m. local time, prompted the U.S. National Weather Service to issue a tsunami warning for at least 50 countries and territories.

The quake's epicenter was offshore 373 kilometers (231 miles) away from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said.

But residents there continued to feel aftershocks hours after the quake. More than 30 aftershocks followed, with the strongest measuring 7.1.

"I wasn't scared when it started ... but it just kept going and going," said Michelle Roberts, who lives in central Tokyo. "I won't lie, it was quite scary. But we are all OK. We live on the third floor, so most everything shook and shifted."

A spokesman for the U.S. military bases in Japan said all service members were accounted for and there were no reports of damage to installations or ships.

President Barack Obama, while offering his condolences, said the United States was standing by to help "in this time of great trial."

Map: 8.9 earthquake hits Japan

Cars submerged in water after quake

Quake interrupts meeting

CNN bureau in Japan experiences quake

Witness: 'Tremor to remember' RELATED TOPICS
Earthquakes
U.S. Geological Survey
Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan said an emergency task force has been activated, and appealed for calm. He said there were no reported leaks of radioactive materials from power plants.

Four nuclear power plants closest to the quake were safely shut down, the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said.

At Tokyo Station, one of Japan's busiest subway stations, shaken commuters grabbed one another to stay steady as the ground shook. Dazed residents poured into the streets after offices and schools were closed. Children cried.

The quake toppled cars off bridges and into waters underneath. Waves of debris flowed like lava across farmland, pushing boats, houses and trailers. About 4 million homes had no power in Tokyo and surrounding areas.

Firefighters battled a fiery blaze at an oil refinery in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo.

Residents said though earthquakes are common in Japan, Friday's stunned most people.

"This was larger than anyone expected and went on longer than anyone expected," said Matt Alt, who lives in Tokyo.

"My wife was the calm one ... she told us to get down and put your back on something, and leave the windows and doors open in case a building shifts so you don't get trapped."

Richard Lloyd Parry said he looked through a window and saw buildings shaking from side to side.

"Central Tokyo is fine from what we see, people are calm ... and not going inside buildings," he said.

Such a large earthquake at such a shallow depth -- 24.4 kilometers (15.2 miles) -- creates a lot of energy, said Shenza Chen of the U.S. Geological Survey.

As the city grappled with the devastation, a massive tsunami swept across the Pacific Ocean.

An earthquake of that size can generate a dangerous tsunami to coasts outside the source region, the National Weather Service said.

In Philippines alone, the tsunami is expected to hit in the early morning and the government has evacuated coastal areas.

The National Weather Service issued warnings for more than 50 countries and territories.

The wide-ranging list includes Russia and Indonesia, Central American countries like Guatemala, El Salvador and Costa Rica and the U.S. state of Hawaii, where warning sirens were sounded in the morning. A tsunami warning was also issued for areas along the United States and Canadian west coasts.

While some officials feared that waves from the tsunami could be high enough to wash over entire islands in the Pacific, at least one expert said it was unlikely.

The tsunami could cause significant damage and flooding, but "washing over islands is not going to happen," said Gerard Fryer of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

Humanitarian agencies were working with rescue crews to reach the people affected.

"When such an earthquake impacts a developed country like Japan, our concern also turns to countries like the Philippines and Indonesia, which might not have the same resources," said Rachel Wolff, a spokeswoman for World Vision.

Wolff said her agency is helping people on the ground in Japan and teaming up to help others in countries along the path of the tsunami.

The tsunami could cause damage "along coastlines of all islands in the state of Hawaii," warned the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property."

Tsunamis are a series of long ocean waves that can last five to 15 minutes and cause extensive flooding in coastal areas. A succession of waves can hit -- often the highest not being the first, said CNN meteorologist Ivan Cabrera.

The quake was the latest in a series in the region this week.

Early Thursday, an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck off the coast of Honshu. A day earlier, a 7.2-magnitude earthquake had struck off the same coast, the country's meteorological agency said.

The largest recorded quake took place in Chile on May 22, 1960, with a magnitude of 9.5, the USGS said.

The quake Friday was the fifth-strongest in the world since 1900, the agency said and the most powerful to hit Japan since then.

CNN's Kyung Lah, Faith Karimi, Ed Payne, Catherine E. Shoichet and Kevin Voigt contributed to this report.

Just got news from my cousin in Okayama.  Seems that area is okay.  It's a little further inland.

200-300 bodies have been found in Sendai. They are expecting a total body count of over a thousand at this point.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/t/police-in-japans-tsunamih_46213555661438976.html
http://www.thejournal.ie/police-say-200-300-bodies-discovered-at-sendai-city-2011-03/
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/03/jiji-press-200-to-300-bodies-found-on-beach-near-sendai-japan/1
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110311D11JF336.htm
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/11/live-blog-japan-earthquake/

I  just heard about the  tragedy, the death roll must be high.
Will the CF sent response team to aid them?
For now Im still not a CF member,
but i really want to volunteer and aid JP in this historical disaster,
would anyone of you know Non profit organization heading to JP for disaster response?
Thx so much

nickanick said:
but i really want to volunteer and aid JP in this historical disaster,
would anyone of you know Non profit organization heading to JP for disaster response?
Thx so much

"GlobalMedic has offered the assistance of its Rapid Response Team, including our Emergency Water and Emergency Medical units to the Japanese government. The RRT is prepared and on standby to deploy immediately.":
http://globalmedic.ca/programs/view/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami

They accept donations. I have not read if HUSAR will respond:
http://www.toronto.ca/wes/techservices/oem/husar/background.htm
"The presence of trained USAR Teams can reduce the number of deaths among untrained, but enthusiastic rescuers. In the 1985 Mexico City earthquake, more than 130 untrained rescuers died in their efforts to save others."

"GlobalMedic has offered the assistance of its Rapid Response Team, including our Emergency Water and Emergency Medical units to the Japanese government. The RRT is prepared and on standby to deploy immediately.":
http://globalmedic.ca/programs/view/japan-earthquake-and-tsunami

Thank you for your information.

Deploying DART maybe, for water?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_Assistance_Response_Team

It would be very surprising if the DART was deployed to Japan. Japan has the resources to take care of this on their own. However, it would not be surprising if the DART went to one of the other 49 countries that has been affected by this disaster.

Hey everyone, I just received this email from Rogers Corporate Office (I'm an employee):

In the wake of the devastating earthquake and tsunami which hit the northern part of Japan today, Rogers is launching a Text-to-Donate campaign.

Beginning today, Rogers and Fido wireless customers can text ASIA to 30333 to donate $5 to earthquake relief efforts. 100% of all donations will go to the Canadian Red Cross Japan Earthquake/Asia-Pacific Tsunami fund.

To help Canadians stay up-to-date on news and information from Japan, Rogers is making TV Japan available on free preview on Channel 829 to all digital cable customers.

Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this natural disaster.

I know Bell and Telus do this as well, not sure of which number to text though. That could be one way to help the victims of this tragedy.

I was watching CNN and they're saying the U.S has committed 5 ships to go for releif efforts; which ones or what class(es) I don't know. I'm assuming that Canada may offer support, depending on the needs and/or resources available. If it were in my hands an AOR (Protecteur) and DDG (Algonquin) would be at the ready for deployment. My  :2c:

Mudshuvel said:
Hey everyone, I just received this email from Rogers Corporate Office (I'm an employee):

Beginning today, Rogers and Fido wireless customers can text ASIA to 30333 to donate $5 to earthquake relief efforts. 100% of all donations will go to the Canadian Red Cross Japan Earthquake/Asia-Pacific Tsunami fund.

I know Bell and Telus do this as well, not sure of which number to text though. That could be one way to help the victims of this tragedy.

Not specifically critical of Rogers, however, hopefully any money that is donated is better handled than in the case of Haiti.

MightyQuinn said:
I was watching CNN and they're saying the U.S has committed 5 ships to go for releif efforts; which ones or what class(es) I don't know. I'm assuming that Canada may offer support, depending on the needs and/or resources available. If it were in my hands an AOR (Protecteur) and DDG (Algonquin) would be at the ready for deployment. My  :2c:

I know the USS Ronald Reagan (aircraft carrier) is 800miles out and on its way.

Here is the list from Reuters

Sat Mar 12, 2011

REUTERS - President Barack Obama offered U.S. ally Japan any assistance needed on Friday after a massive earthquake and tsunami devastated coastal areas and killed hundreds of people.

Here is a list of U.S. Navy vessels being positioned for earthquake and tsunami relief, according to the Pentagon.

USS ESSEX, (an amphibious assault vessel -- complement: 1,200 (Navy) 1,800 (Marines) with the embarked 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, arrived in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, this morning. The ship is making preparations to depart as early as Friday evening.

USS BLUE RIDGE (command and control ship -- complement: approximately 1,500 all Navy), which arrived in Singapore this morning, is loading a Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief kit and making preparations to depart Saturday morning.

The USS BOXER Amphibious Ready Group, which includes:

* USS BOXER (amphibious assault ship complement: 1,174 Navy, 2,070 Marines).

* USS GREEN BAY (amphibious transport dock - complement: approximately 360 crew -- can deliver a force of approximately 800 Marines).

* USS COMSTOCK (amphibious dock landing ship - complement: approximately 347 Navy crew and approximately 400 Marines), is currently at sea in the Western Pacific en route to a scheduled replenishment in Guam.

The USS RONALD REAGAN carrier strike group is now at sea in the Western Pacific en route to a scheduled port visit to South Korea, but is postured to respond if directed. The RONALD REAGAN is a nuclear-powered carrier with 3,200 Navy crew and 2,480 aviators and air wing personnel, and approximately 85 planes.

The USS TORTUGA, (dock landing ship -- complement: approximately 410 Navy crew and 400 Marines) currently in Sasebo, Japan, is making preparations to get underway as early as Friday evening.

The landing ships USS HARPER'S FERRY and USS GERMANTOWN were in the Pacific and have been redirected to Japan.

The aircraft carrier USS GEORGE WASHINGTON is in maintenance and docked in Yokosuka, Japan.

Earthquake Didn't Damage Fleet in Japan: U.S. Navy
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 11 Mar 2011 10:01
http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=5934906&c=SEA&s=TOP

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Navy said March 11 there had been no "significant damage" to its fleet or facilities in Japan after a massive earthquake off the coast triggered a tsunami.

"Currently, no reports of significant damage to installations and no damage to U.S. Navy ships in Japan," it said in an official message on the micro-blogging website Twitter...............

Japan Mobilizes Military in Wake of Tsunami, Earthquake
By FRANK ZELLER, AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 11 Mar 2011 11:39
copy at: http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=5935848

TOKYO - Japan's military sent or readied thousands of troops, 300 planes and 40 ships for quake and tsunami relief in the wake of a massive earthquake and tsunami, and it asked for help from the United States, which has 50,000 troops based in the country.

The government deployed or prepared 8,000 Self-Defense Forces troops to Miyagi and other northeastern areas hard-hit by a massive earthquake and a tsunami that swallowed and destroyed entire neighborhoods.

An armada of 20 naval destroyers and other ships was headed for the devastated Pacific coast area of Honshu island, while some 25 air force jets were flying reconnaissance missions over the disaster zone.

Army helicopters were rescuing hundreds stranded at an elementary school in Watari, Miyagi prefecture, while Air Force choppers pulled about 10 people to safety near Rikuzentakata, Iwate prefecture, Kyodo reported.

The Tokyo and Osaka police forces, Fire and Disaster Management Agency, and health ministry also all quickly dispatched medical and rescue teams.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan, wearing an emergency services suit in a national television address, said he had "immediately established an emergency headquarters for response to disaster, with myself as the head.

"The government will make every possible effort to ensure the safety of the public and keep damage to the minimum possible extent," he said after the massive 8.9-magnitude quake struck offshore and triggered a tsunami.

"I ask the public to continue to stay fully vigilant and to keep abreast of TV and radio reports, and I ask everyone to act calmly."

Japan said it was offered help by Australia, Taiwan, South Korea, China, Mexico, Thailand, New Zealand, Israel, Singapore, Indonesia, Azerbaijan, India, Russia, Turkey, Germany, France, Belgium, Ukraine, Slovakia, the United Arab Emirates, Switzerland, Hungary, Poland, and Jordan.

Foreign Minister Takeaki Matsumoto said the number of offers was "increasing by the minute," a spokesman said in an e-mail message.

Matsumoto, who took office this week, asked U.S. Ambassador John Roos for the support of U.S. forces stationed in the country for help in relief efforts.

The United States, which occupied Japan after World War II and is the country's main security ally, has almost 50,000 forces stationed there.

Many U.S. bases are located on the far-southern island of Okinawa, far from the quake zone, while the U.S. 7th Fleet, which includes an aircraft carrier battle group, is located in a port south of Tokyo.

U.S. President Barack Obama said "the United States stands ready to help the Japanese people in this time of great trial. The friendship and alliance between our two nations is unshakable."

Roos said in a statement: "As Americans, tonight our hearts go out to the Japanese people... As I told the foreign minister, the United States and our forces here in Japan stand ready to help."

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110312a1.html
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110311p2g00m0dm071000c.html

At least two Japan Coast Guard patrol boats of the 2nd Coast Guard Regional Headquarters in Shiogama in the prefecture were washed away....

.....while the Air Self-Defense Force said its Matsushima Air Base in Miyagi was completely submerged.

Air Self Defence Force Video of Kesennuma

Copy of video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYrJoWNR4Ho

8.9-magnitude quake, tsunami in Japan causes massive fires in Kesennuma, city of 74,000 people

By Ethan Sacks
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Friday, March 11th 2011, 5:15 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2011/03/11/2011-03-11_89magnitude_quake_tsunami_in_japan_causes_massive_fires_in_kesennuma_city_of_740.html

It's not the water damage from Friday's massive tsunami that seems to be the biggest threat to the Japanese city of Kesennuma - it's fire.

Video from a military plane captures large swathes of the northern fishing city, with a population of 75,000, almost completely engulfed in flames - possibly from ruptured gas lines.

There is no word yet on the extent of casualties or damage to the city.

Fire is a long-standing fear in Japan because most homes in rural areas are made from wood and blazes can quickly escalate.

Hopefully Japan can get a handle on this quickly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/03/11/earthquake-japan-nuclear-reactor.html?ref=rss

Japan declares emergencies at 2 nuclear plants
5 reactors at 2 facilities in trouble after quake
CBC News
Posted: Mar 11, 2011 5:47 PM ET

Japan has declared a state of emergency and called for mass evacuations near two nuclear power plants following cooling systems failures that led to radiation escaping from a reactor at one location...

An evacuation zone has been expanded from three kilometres around the plant to 10 kilometres. The Kyodo News agency said 20,000 are being evacuated from the area around the plant.

The quake cut off power to the plant and a backup generator failed, so the primary cooling system was not able to supply water to the plant's 460-megawatt No. 1 reactor.

The containment vessels are intact. The problem remains restoring emergency power to avoid the coolant from boiling off. The JSDF and US forces are moving additional generators to the reactor sites. US airbases in Japan were opened to civilian aircraft to get them on the ground,as the civilian airports were shut down. Getting the reactors under control has to be at the top of the list of priorities.

Meanwhile...

http://youropenbook.org/?q=japan+whales+tsunami&gender=any

http://youropenbook.org/?q=Pearl+Harbor&gender=any

:-\ :facepalm:

Foreign search teams head to Japan after mega-quake
(AFP) – 5 hours ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iqUAIQZ-fK3HDQtpEfFCHY-lJ8oA?docId=CNG.19d12e5647311a6750cb654cad6306f8.161

WELLINGTON — International search and rescue teams rushed to Japan in the wake of a massive 8.9-magnitude quake and crushing tsunami, some straight from similar work in quake-hit New Zealand.

A Japanese team of 66 personnel which has spent more than two weeks scouring the rubble left by last month's 6.3-magnitude quake in Christchurch was making hasty preparations to return home to confront the latest tragedy.

And the United States said it was sending close to 150 rescue workers to the Japanese disaster zone, among them a team from Los Angeles that had only returned from New Zealand two days ago.

"My thoughts go out to all the people of Japan at this time," said New Zealand Civil Defence controller Steve Brazier from Christchurch, where a February 22 quake flattened the city, killing at least 200 people.

From Britain's Queen Elizabeth II to superstar entertainer Lady Gaga, the world has rallied to support Japan, where tsunami waves up to 10 metres (33 feet) high rolled across the low-lying northeast on Friday, washing away all in their path.

"Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the dreadful disaster," the British monarch said in her message to Japan's Emperor Akihito.

Governments around the world offered their help, with United States President Barack Obama ordering emergency aid, including an aircraft carrier, to Japan after the catastrophe he described as "simply heartbreaking."

The US Agency for International Development said it was sending two teams of some 72 personnel, dogs and around 75 tons of rescue equipment each.

With more than 1,000 people feared dead and authorities scrambling to prevent meltdown at two nuclear plants, Japanese officials have requested other nations provide sniffer dogs to help search for trapped survivors.

Australia, South Korea and Singapore will all send dogs and search and rescue teams, their governments said Saturday as they expressed their condolences to Tokyo.

"The Australian government is prepared to throw anything and everything at this, consistent with the requests of the Japanese government," Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd told reporters in Canberra.

Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard conveyed her nation's "very sincere condolences" to Japan, saying the images of the tsunami were "truly shocking".

"It is really very apparent that the Japanese people have been dealt an incredibly cruel blow by this earthquake and the tsunami following it," she said. "We'll stand by them and we'll do anything we can to assist."

Calls of sympathy and support have poured in from around the world, including from China, India and the European Union.

New Zealand, which had been aided by Japanese searchers who sifted through Christchurch rubble in hopes of finding survivors, will send 48 urban search and rescue staff to the quake-zone.

"Japan responded to New Zealand's own tragic earthquake with enormous support, and we are ready to help our friends in Japan at this time of need in whatever way we can," Prime Minister John Key said.

The United Nations has said that about 60 international teams from more than 45 states were on alert to assist Japan if asked.

"The United Nations stands by the people of Japan and we will do anything and everything we can at this very difficult time," the UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon said earlier.

Back