• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2010 Airshow Season Thread

Nothing like a Herc ride, always enjoyed falling asleep on top of cargo on the way up to Alert. Nothing to fear on that aircraft.

First plane I flew on was a Herc.  Loved them ever since.

PMedMoe said:
First plane I flew on was a Herc.  Loved them ever since.

Try going to Norway and back in the back of a Herc along with a 5/4 van (c/s 0), two jeeps with trailers (9 and G19), three tent groups worth of kit and a dozen or so troops.

Old Sweat said:
Try going to Norway and back in the back of a Herc along with a 5/4 van (c/s 0), two jeeps with trailers (9 and G19), three tent groups worth of kit and a dozen or so troops.

Hey, that's where I learned how comfortable the trailers are to sleep on.

....and one time, on the medivac route home, I got to spend the night in Greenland. Much more fun than commercial.

Flew from Cold Lake to Bagotvile nonstop in the back of a Herc along with our ground support equipment. Climb on top of the equipment stretch out and relax.  :nod:

Awww...so much love in the prop community.... ;D

Thanks to the Griff that flew over my home at about 12:30pm EST today heading east - most appreciated! :)

CDN Aviator said:
Hercs suck...their engines are mounted wrong !!

Any motor that makes rubber leave asphalt is mounted wrong.......  :worms:

Hey CDN Aviator,

What came first the Herc or Electra. Seems to me the Aurora is just a failed airliner.  >:D  The Herc was purpose built, and a great job she does.

Tango18A said:
Hey CDN Aviator,

What came first the Herc or Electra. Seems to me the Aurora is just a failed airliner.  >:D  The Herc was purpose built, and a great job she does.

Well....... Lockheed got it wrong so when they built the P-3, they rectified the situation and mounted the engines correctly.

BTW, the P-3 series is not an Electra conversion.

CDN Aviator said:
BTW, the P-3 series is not an Electra conversion.

Nope - just like the P-8 is not a 737 NG derivative.  :)

Then why does it say "No Step" on the bottom of the Aurora eng. ;D

Thanks to both the CC177 and CC130 crews who really gave me a nice little airshow this afternoon!!  You Herc folk sure know how to throw that thing around - awesome!!  :salute:

Herc334onFinal6pmLow.jpg

Globemaster703FullBodyonFinalfrom8p.jpg

Globemaster703LandingLightsonFin-1.jpg

Globemaster703FullBodyonFinalHeadOn.jpg

Globemaster703Tailfrom10pm.jpg

Zoomie said:
Nope - just like the P-8 is not a 737 NG derivative.  :)

The P-3 prototype was indeed a converted L-188 Electra. Production P-3 Orion were based on the Electra design but not a conversion of it. The P-3 differs from the Electra structuraly by being 7 ft shorter forward of the wings, single -peice forgings, integrally stiffened panels, wings made of fail-safe box beams, fowler flaps and a monocoque pressurized fuselage. While the L-188 was powered by 4 Allison 501-D13 turboprops rated at 3750 shp each, the P-3 is powered by 4 Allison T-56 turboprops rated at 4600 shp.

The P-3 orion was indeed purpose-built.

You need to get out of that airframe - you're starting to quote stuff like Wiki....

If we are talking "derivative" then take a look at my new 2011 Hyundai Sonata.  ;D

"Look closer, however, and it's easy to see where Hyundai's designers drew their inspiration. The front end is reminiscent of an extreme version of the current Toyota Camry's. The Sonata's steeply raked front and rear glass give the sedan a slightly coupe-like silhouette, much like that of the Volkswagen CC. Viewed from the rear quarter, you can see a few lines cribbed from the likes of the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. If you're going to steal, steal from the best, we say. "

http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2011-hyundai-sonata-se/4505-10865_7-34047572.html

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/showroom/Gallery.aspx?model=Sonata

Zoomie said:
You need to get out of that airframe - you're starting to quote stuff like Wiki....

Information is straight from the P-3 history book.

So now your're saying the Aurora is the short bus version of the Electra> >:D

Back