• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 million lawsuit/PTSD

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1244589-soldier-in-ptsd-case-confined-after-halifax-military-court-ruling

2 thoughts
He was never diagnosed
Even if he was, it doesn't mean he can break the law

Sheep Dog AT said:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1244589-soldier-in-ptsd-case-confined-after-halifax-military-court-ruling

2 thoughts
He was never diagnosed
Even if he was, it doesn't mean he can break the law

While I agree in principle, if the incident truly was a public suicide attempt and the absence charge stems from being in a psych ward following this attempt (and I'm being cognizant here that we only have the guy's uncle's story), that would look bad on the military. Like charging Able Seaman Deyoung with AWOL for being 2 hrs late for sick parade the day she found a breast lump - by the time she was going to court martial she'd been diagnosed with cancer and once it hit the media, the military back-pedaled so very hard. Deyoung was in the wrong, yes, but there are some battles where winning can be a greater loss than letting it go.

The lawsuit, no idea what that was about? Sounds like suing for not taking care of the member, when member hadn't bothered to even get diagnosed in the first place? Uncle sounds loopy.

I've no comment on the law suit; it was dismissed.  Case closed for now.

The charges, ST and the PTSD; I can say for certain that I do not have ANY info on the actual evidence or facts WRT ANY of those. 

What I do see is a mbr who served operationally, who needs professional help, and regardless of optics over law suits, etc, I hope he gets the help he needs.

------------------------------------------

And this type of writing really irks me.

In the caption under the picture:

The family of Canadian Forces member Thomas Dixon is outraged he was jailed for insubordination for an incident related to his post-traumatic stress disorder.

Then in the article:

McFarlane, though not a lawyer, filed the suit against the military last November in Federal Court on Dixon’s behalf. That suit was thrown out shortly thereafter and McFarlane acknowledged that they do not have a psychological assessment diagnosing Dixon with post-traumatic stress disorder.

By the way that reads, the family is outraged the Cpl was 'jailed' for an incident related to the PTSD that hasn't been diagnosed and may/may not exist.  ::)

Your last comment was exactly what I was thinking except I couldn't put it on paper as eloquently as you.

Back