• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1st Canadian Radar NW Europe WWII

• Thread starter Jim Vickers
  • Start date
J

Jim Vickers

I am looking for the history of my father‘s unit;the 1st Canadian Radar.
They were in combat in the campaign in NW Europe, France, Belgium,
Netherlands,and/or Germany. I think they were a unit with a short life
in that they were assembled from volunteers from other branches,under
Capt J.G. Telfer of the 2nd Heavy AA as of Sept 22, 1944 and
were disbanded at the end of hostilities. My father‘s name is Christopher
James Vickers. My uncle Robert Vickers also seved in this unit.

Here‘s a little tidbit I came across:

On 7 December 1944 OPERATION MICKEY FINN provided the first test for the 2nd Canadian Division‘s new counter-mortar organization. This included experiments with the army‘s newest unit, 1st Canadian Radar Battery.

It‘s not much, but maybe it‘ll help find the next piece for you.

Cheers

Mr Vickers, ladies and Gentlemen,

As Mr Bobbitt its was 1st Canadian Radar Battery. this was an ad hoc unit of the Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA) raised in France on 22 Sep 1944 from personnel mainly drawn from the directional radar sections of the Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiments of the RCA.

The role of the unit was to provide locating ability for the finding of German mortar positions, after the weapons had fired their bombs (also general artillery work). Having fixed the position of the mortars they could then call in counter-battery fire onto the enemy positions.

The majority of its personnel were RCA or RCEME (Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechical Engineers), with a troop of RC Signals attached. A number of Royal Air Force radar technitions were also attached.

If you try the discussion group, Canadian REgiments:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cdnregiments/

They have a number of knowledgable ex-RCA men on it.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

Retired members of the 1st Canadian Radio Location Unit put together a history of their unit for one of their reunions. They have listed personalities of the officers including Major James Gordon Telfer and NCO BQMS William Robert Vickers of Morris, Manitoba. Unfortunately this is a private publication and only sent out to members of the reunion group. It is a thoroughly interesting read of the history of the unit along with some personal stories. My father Dick Hunter was a member of this group and advised that although the unit trained together, they were then separated into groups and attached to British units before the big push into Europe. My father's unit served in Hell's Corner in south east England before going on to France in September of 1944.

My name is Lorne Phillips and I was an original member of CRLU. This unit was disbanded in 1943 because of lack of enemy aircraft activity over England,  but its members were recruited to form Radar Battery in Sept 1944 to serve as a counter-mortar unit.

I am the editor of the book mentioned here on this website. It is true the book was never published as such; only copies for members. The book consists of approximately 185 pages, 12 which are black and white wartime pictures, 48 pages of coloured pictures taken at our 17 reunions and the rest consists of our background history taken from War Diaries and anecdotes written by members.

I have transferred the entire book to .pdf format and welcome anyone who has a website, to make this book available to anyone, mostly descendants, who are interested in viewing it or even downloading it. Our Unit was so small yet played a very important part in the defence of Great Britain during WW II that I wish for its history to not go unnoticed. We received little if any credit during the war for our efforts. Most of the Unit's members have passed on but I would like to think they have not been forgotten. I have given away copies of this CD but I would like to get a larger audience.

I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada and my e-mail address is: lornephillips@rogers.com

Mr Phillips welcome to army.ca I'm sure you'll find more than a few here interested in reading this unit history, myself included.

I would love to read that .pdf  history.

Any chance it can be uploaded/hosted on army.ca ?

I would be happy to host a copy here, with Mr. Phillips' permission. If you would like to send me a copy I can take care of the rest.

Cheers
Mike

Mister Phillips

I am looking forward to reading your book. For your information, Canadian gunners have been operating counter-mortar radars in Afghanistan since early 2007 maintaining the tradition and spirit of the 1st Canadian Radar Battery.

Lorne, your document is now online here:

http://army.ca/history/CanRadLocUnit.pdf

Cheers
Mike

Back