• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1RCHA change of command, last time M109's on parade?

Joe Gunner

Inactive
Reaction score
With the M109s retired, do you think this will be the last time the M109s will be on parade, or is it possible they will be brought out for future parades?

Not to be too overtly rude - but if all they are good for is parades (and when did they last deploy in anger??), why have them??

If you can't or don't fire it, it could still be a very big version of the Arty "colours".

Quote,
Not to be too overtly rude - but if all they are good for is parades (and when did they last deploy in anger??), why have them??

I guess one could say the same thing about those "flags" that the PPCLI use on parades, if thats all they are good for then........

:-\...Or those silly bagpipes on parade, :), all that is really needed is a drum beat for cadence.

It does raise the question do the Gunners stop the car, get out and salute when they drive by the M-109s now on static display...or perhaps just a roll past salute.

IMHO it was alot easier saluting from the cc hatch during a roll pass than it will be with an 81mm mortar tucked under the left arm.

Would 24 brand-new M777's make everyone cheer up a bit?
Mmmm...Excalibur...
Of course, we still need something to pull them...

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Quote,

I guess one could say the same thing about those "flags" that the PPCLI use on parades, if thats all they are good for then........

Sorry about that - I forgot about the colours aspect.  No disrespect to the colours was intended

Dave

No problem, we forget a lot also, and I meant none to yours.
However I think the idea of having a couple servicable M-109's for parades for each regiment would be an excellent idea as they were the most "eye catching" version of our colours. [well except maybe the Honest John]

Down at the regt. we only have 2 M-109s left. The rest are at base maint. getting mothballed. I'm pretty sure the ones left are heading over there as well in due time. We'll see if the M-777 stay around as long as the M-109s.

A link to the M777 - http://www.army-technology.com/projects/ufh/  I have my doubts that we will ever see another 155mm howitzer in service in the CF due to the high costs of 155mm rounds and the associated training.  I do like that "The M777A1 matches the firepower of current generation 155mm towed systems at less than half the weight...The maximum firing range is 24.7km with unassisted rounds and 30km with rocket-assisted rounds."

Have I missed any serious talk of D Arty making a move to acquire M777?

Have I missed any serious talk of D Arty making a move to acquire M777?

It is the preferred delivery system.  I'm not sure if you have seen the arty transformation directive?

I'm not sold on the 155 mm as the focus of transformation is towards precision guided munitions and I have to assume, state of the art munitions.  I'm not sure if the 155 is the best platform to accomplish this or a combination of tube/missle would be.

Let me know if you want a copy of the document.

Cheers

A bty, 1 RCHA is getting 6xM-777 to go to afganistan in the new year. Nice idea but they battery has to get it's troops trained on the gun and get new members to supplement the gun. (I think it has a crew of 8) a couple more than the LG-1/C-3. As for the parade, if you were talking about the 1 RCHA one it was on the 25th of june. Really short, which was nice.

Sorry the crew is eight members. Had a typo. I'm sure they will all be smiling wearing the nice CF sunglasses as well.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
IMHO it was alot easier saluting from the cc hatch during a roll pass than it will be with an 81mm mortar tucked under the left arm.
ROTFLMAO  ;D
I can see it now a the mud gunners marching past with 81's tucked under their arms!!
Good one ShellDrake. :salute: ;D

Joe Gunner said:
With the M109s retired, do you think this will be the last time the M109s will be on parade, or is it possible they will be brought out for future parades?

Old thread but, The M109 was used at the 1RCHA change of command parade last week, they will probably display it on parade for a while.

Much as I like seeing that unit trying to look after this important part of gunner heritage, and keeping it running, I'm very doubtful they'll be able to keep doing this.

The M109 that 1 RCHA has is technically an artifact, and is supposed to be demilitarized, yet complete with essential stores, and in a condition that allows it to be moved when necessary. That they chose to keep it in running condition in order to do so is not an easy thing to accomplish. Maintenance is going to quickly become a problem (there are ITAR limitations on who can do it, even on an old system like these M109's), as will availability of spares for even routine items.

Still, at least there's will have a proper and respectful end to its story, the photos show what will be the end for the vast majority of the remainder

Not really the same as the other arms placing old Colours or Guidons in a place of honour for safe keeping. It's more akin to scrapping an old warship, I guess, but it still hurts to see it. I hope the Receiver General gets good value from the disposal.

Back