• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

12 N.B. veterans honoured by France

formerarmybrat23

Inactive
Reaction score
taken from cbc.ca
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/05/31/nb-vetshonoured.html

France has honoured 12 Second World War veterans from New Brunswick with an award from its highest national order.

France's ambassador to Canada, Daniel Jouanneau, was in Fredericton Wednesday to award the veterans the Légion d'honneur.

He said it's never too late to say thank you.

"And it's for us a way to say thank you for what they have done for the liberation of France when they landed in Normandy on June 6, 1944."

Saint John veteran William McKiel said after 60 years, it's still exciting to be recognized.

"My children, my sons, are just standing on their toes and so are my daughters," McKiel said. "I have six children, they're all with me and they're just so excited that their dad would be chosen for an honour like this."

Continue Article

"It's just, it's something that not everybody has, and I never expected to have it, you know?" said Fenton Daley, who was 24 years old when he enlisted.

Jouanneau said France has honoured 55 veterans in Canada and the United States in the last year.

The Légion d'honneur, established by Napoléon Bonaparte in 1802, is the premier order of France and its award is one of great distinction.

Back