• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1081shadow's Shadow Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

1081shadow

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering what job I should choose for the Canadian forces. I love working with my hands so when I heard of the combat engineer I thought that it was the perfect job, but, I also want to be infantry because of the thrill and the cool equipment that you get to use as well. My question is, do combat engineers have the same rush as the infantry? Or are they boring. Also, what kind of equipment do the combat engineers use?

Not an expert here, but a search came up with this:

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/34091.0.html

Where do you think the Canadian Forces will stand in 10 years. What kind of progression do you think they would have made? How do you think they stand against other countries ?

Definitely don't think the CF can defend themselves from other countries. Military doesn't seem to be the government's priority. Maybe we can defend ourselves from the Dominican Republic, that's about it. Maybe.

And for the uniforms...you know your uniform is outdated when you see them hanging in military museums.

poutinelover said:
Definitely don't think the CF can defend themselves from other countries. Military doesn't seem to be the government's priority. Maybe we can defend ourselves from the Dominican Republic, that's about it. Maybe.

I found many years ago that self reflection and navel gazing often did not display what our CF members were.  For an honest opinion, get that of a foreign service member who has worked with Canadians, or work with foreign militaries.  That is where you will really have your eyes opened.

poutinelover said:
And for the uniforms...you know your uniform is outdated when you see them hanging in military museums.

You may have the wrong impression of what a "museum" is.  They are not necessarily just there to show/display the "past", but can also display the "present" and in some cases the "future" through current and prototype items.

George Wallace said:
I found many years ago that self reflection and navel gazing often did not display what our CF members were.  For an honest opinion, get that of a foreign service member who has worked with Canadians, or work with foreign militaries.  That is where you will really have your eyes opened.

You may have the wrong impression of what a "museum" is.  They are not necessarily just there to show/display the "past", but can also display the "present" and in some cases the "future" through current and prototype items.

The museum thing was just a joke. I forgot that with the internet, sometimes tones are difficult to identify.

But really. Who knows where the CF will be in 10 years. I'm certainly not a part of the planning, so it's all up in the air for me.

George Wallace said:

Hopefully, to at least a small extent, I can help there. While I was attached the Royal Canadian Dragoons in 2006 I had the absolute honour of working with a bunch of guys that I would rate as some of the best soldiers I'd ever met. Their vehicle craft was second to none, their skill sets simply brilliant and in every way they excelled. I'm just just blowing smoke either, I was and still am, gobsmacked by how good those blokes were at their jobs.
My experience of soldiers in the RCR and a few Sigs was the same. All those men who I was inspired by are still in and I still keep in touch with them. If they were "super" soldiers back in 2006 theres no reason why that would have changed. And if it hasnt changed now, it wont have changed in 10 years. And in 10 years, those soldiers you've got now with huge amounts of experience will be passing it on to the next bunch of recruits who will be expected to maintain that high standard.

Criticising yourself is easy to do but from the small part I was lucky enough to see, you should be very proud of the standard that the Canadian Forces has. Theres no reason not to think that standard will be maintained.

Thanks Digger. And my experience with Oz soldiers (8/9 RAR in 1984, and a few occasions since) tells me that your country produces fine soldiers also.

My guess is that, barring some catastrophic upheaval (or a radical change in our politics), in size and shape the CF will look pretty much like it does now. A bit bigger or a bit smaller, maybe. A few new capabilities (money permitting) and perhaps some old familiar ones either sidelined or dropped altogether. The current "we Support The Troops" will have been largely forgotten, and Canadians will go back to their normal ill-informed ambivalence toward things military.

Unless we get much smarter than we usually have been, many of the young, keen soldiers, NCOs and junior officers who currently fill our units with great combat experience will  have left the Army in frustration at what they see as slashed budgets and lack of challenge, unable to put up with the daily round of garrison life. Raised for ten years in a "wartime army", they will have difficulty facing what is actually the normal state of our forces: peace and penny-pinching.

If historical trends (at least the ones I've lived through) continue, we will probably have better equipment for at least part of the force. Despite our fears and bitching, if you look back objectively, you'll see that over roughly ten-year cycles, our stuff gets better. Maybe not as fast as other countries, or maybe faster (ie: our kit-up for Afgh was truly impressive: for a short while my unscientific guess is that we were one of the very best equipped forces, individually and collectively, in Afgh including the US). We will still have some old stuff around, since items purchased now for Afgh will probably just be nearing the mid-point of their lifespan.

We'll get involved in some overseas adventures, some of which will be dangerous (again, pretty consistent with the last twenty years). I'd look for involvement in Africa, or possibly South America.

I think that, as usual in an Army, people will be the issue.

The biggest challenge we'll have is recruiting. If I understand our national demographics, Canada's population is almost static in terms of growth, and we're aging out. (IIRC we are now on average older than the US population). The white male of European descent who has always formed the majority of our numbers will be a gradually declining resource, so our recruiting and our personnel policies will need to be designed to attract and retain a wider range of  people. (In fact, I think this is already well underway if I look at the faces I see here at the Staff College). Unless we have a sudden boom in the birthrate (which won't help us for 18 years after it happens), or a big spike in immigration, we will be competing against a stiff demand for a shrinking labour force. We won't just be able to win it on the basis of how much we pay: we will lose that arms race.  Not only will this competition make recruiting difficult: it will also be an obstacle to retention.

If the trend gets bad enough, Canada might have to consider peacetime national service for the first time since the days of the Sedentary Militia, when every able-bodied male citizen was liable for service. (Obviously this would include females too, and the definition of "able" would probably be broader than it is now, with steadily improving medical technology.)

Hopefully the current emphases on fitness, training for combat and good leadership will survive: whatever else may be true, those of us still serving will still have to "keep the flame alive".

Cheers

First I would look at 10 years ago (year 2000)

-LAV III just coming into service (2RCR deployed to Africa with LAVs)
-Leo1 MBT in service but its future looked dim and bleak
-No thought of serving in Afghanistan
-Bosnia was still the main Army focus
-M113 and Grizzly were still serving (but with LAVIII coming, we knew they were going)
-M109 were being used (M777 not even a thought for us)

Gotta scoots, I'll contribute more to my thought later.

Before I join I would just like to know what direction the forces is going. I always here how underfunded and under geared the forces are. I just want to make sure that the army I am joining isn't weak and under appreciated. Also what direction do you see the forces going and is it good? I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice.

Thanks  :)

1081shadow said:
Before I join I would just like to know what direction the forces is going. I always here how underfunded and under geared the forces are. I just want to make sure that the army I am joining isn't weak and under appreciated. Also what direction do you see the forces going and is it good? I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice.

It's flying, driving, floating North with a brilliant crew made out of commited and dedicated Soldiers & Officers who know why they joined... you might want to go South?

Alea

1081shadow said:

This is going to be a gong show.

Having said that, using spellcheck might help you seem a bit more mature.

Where to begin, by walking into a recruiting center you aren't joining the forces you are merely applying. Your thread should say questions before i attempt to join. Wanting to join and getting accepted into the forces are two separate things entirely. As far as your line of questioning where the forces are going i do not have a clue what you mean. You need to elaborate. Do you want to know what missions the forces will be deploying on in the future?

Pegcity said:
Where to begin, by walking into a recruiting center you aren't joining the forces you are merely applying. Your thread should say questions before i attempt to join. Wanting to join and getting accepted into the forces are two separate things entirely. As far as your line of questioning where the forces are going i do not have a clue what you mean. You need to elaborate. Do you want to know what missions the forces will be deploying on in the future?

Yes, basically. Also like, do you see them getting better equipment?

1081 Shadow -

Stop posting the same crap over and over again.

Sit down and READ other threads on this site and you will find that every single question of yours has been answered time and time again.

The Army.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back