• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

10 Field Battery- 56FD Regiment.

7RCA

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about joining the 10 Field  Battery in St.Catharines Ontario (Reserve Artillery). I've tried to search and couldn't find anything regarding my question. Does anyone know what howitzers this battery trains with?

56 Fd trains with the C3 and the 81mm mortar
Regular parade night is Thurs at the Lake St Armoury

Right now there are no openings, but that will likely change by end of Sept

Thanks! When is a good time to apply? In Sept or before?

7RCA said:
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about joining the 10 Field  Battery in St.Catharines Ontario (Reserve Artillery). I've tried to search and couldn't find anything regarding my question. Does anyone know what howitzers this battery trains with?

I am a reserve recruiter, though not with this unit.

Reserve units in Ontario typically have two intakes a year; one for September commencement of basic training and one for January/February. My recruit applicants are frequently taking between two to four months to be processed, so I would advise you to apply as soon as possible. If they have spots open and can put you on basic in mid winter, that would set you up hopefully to get fully trained in trade this summer. If you let it slide any longer you might not be able to finish your trade basic training until summer 2014.

This, again, presupposes that they still have vacancies- I know my unit and several others are not taking applicants until April.

I hope that helps- best of luck!

Despite 56 Fd being authorized to recruit 5 for artillery, and 2 for clerks, the unit right now is flush, that is, all positions are filled so they cannot actually fill any of those positions yet with recruits. Typically, in Sept, there are a number of requests for release, and this would allow the unit to take in recruits, up to those limits (5 and 2). It's a bit too early to say how this will play out until near the end of the month; should a position open up before the end of Sept, that's still enough time to apply and make the fall's training cycle.

I think you should visit the unit this Thursday night (get there about 1900  or so), and express your interest.

Should I go Thursday night or tomorrow to see a recruiter?

This Thursday, means just that, at the Lake St Armoury; I'll warn them.

You asked about this unit back in 09,  as well you asked about what guns the Reserve Arty used and were linked to a thread with a lot of info on that.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107141/post-1165954.html#msg1165954

Also,  why is your name 7RCA?  Have you ever been a member of that unit or was it a unit you thought about joining before switching to wanting 56 Field Regiment?  Best I can tell by your posts if you've been wanting to join Reserve Arty for a few years and at best have gone through maybe part of the recruiting process.

Petard said:
This Thursday, means just that, at the Lake St Armoury; I'll warn them.

Isn't it better to go see a recruiter when they are not parading so im not "intruding" on the parade?

A parade night isn't an actual "parade" they are training/admin nights.  There would be a recruiter there at night who's job is to take care of people coming in to ask questions, etc

-Skeletor- said:
You asked about this unit back in 09,  as well you asked about what guns the Reserve Arty used and were linked to a thread with a lot of info on that.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107141/post-1165954.html#msg1165954

Also,  why is your name 7RCA?  Have you ever been a member of that unit or was it a unit you thought about joining before switching to wanting 56 Field Regiment?  Best I can tell by your posts if you've been wanting to join Reserve Arty for a few years and at best have gone through maybe part of the recruiting process.

Gee, he sure seemed to ignore that didn't he????

I'm not saying the following has anything to do with the OP, but it is quite a strange coincidence

In the last two weeks, a couple of people have gone to CFRC Hamilton claiming they want to join 56 Fd, and they also claim they were told (by some unknown "somebody" in 56 Fd) to first go to the recruiting centre

I'm not sure who told them to do that, but maybe someone who read this thread might of thought 7RCA is right, and that they ought to go to the CFRC without checking with the unit first.
That would be wrong
So just to be clear..
The first step in joining a reserve unit is to go to that unit and see if they actually are hiring/enrolling people for the trade you're interested in

56 Fd is not enrolling people to become gunners right now, they might in a few months. So anyone showing up expressing interest in becoming a gunner, will be told this, and they'll be politely asked to leave some contact information so they can be reached in case the situation changes.

Simple, no?

One more thing, should you actually visit the unit, and be told the above, do not bother telling your parent a skewed version of that, then have them go with you to the unit orderly room, and have your parent give the staff there a "blast" in order to get to the bottom of why you weren't hired; it will not change anything, especially not the unit's disposition towards hiring you. Yes, that too has occurred a couple of times recently

Back