• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

09/10 Budget Impact on PRes - Unit stand-downs, Class B Freeze, and so on!

Recce Guy:

Same old song:  "The fickle finger of fate having f**ked moves on!!"

Small question: But why is it ALWAYS the PRes??

tango22a

Yea, the reserves are packed full I was told by the guy in charge of the files for reserves at CFRC that the infantry units in Hamilton, Ontario are full for the next one to two years.

Dean22 said:
Yea, the reserves are packed full I was told by the guy in charge of the files for reserves at CFRC that the infantry units in Hamilton, Ontario are full for the next one to two years.

THIS IS NOT what the topic is about, nor what was said in the previous posts.

Hey Jake, I feel for you man. I got all my kit on Thursday and was supposed to leave on BMOQ yesterday when I received a phone call saying it was canceled.

I guess there's nothing we can really do except make the best of it. At least there's still the one night a week (in my case) where the other OCdts can learn and help out with the unit.  :)

It is not just BMQ's being affected. Driver Wheeled courses have been put on hold, as well as DP2A courses for us in the infantry, and Comm's.

dredre said:
It is not just BMQ's being affected. Driver Wheeled courses have been put on hold, as well as DP2A courses for us in the infantry, and Comm's.

Yes, Driver Wheeled and Comms courses were cancelled here too. Also, the number of pers were limited on a winter warfare course and recruiting has been pared down.

I have only been in long enough to experience a state of constant growth in the CF/Reserve.  This isn't really a full step back yet, but more of a maintain status quo.  If you've been lucky to attend any of the town halls on this issue, multiple have taken place in the NCR, then you'll understand a little bit about why the PRes has been hit, and its not just the PRes.  Some things have to take place. IE Commitments to Operations.  Bulk of the funds have to go there, and should go there.  No short changing anyone on deployment.  Force regeneration of vehicles also has to take place. New vehicles of the CMBG's and the battalions is a priority. While units want to expand and grow/replenish from those who've released, there are other priorities t get taken care of for the greater good of the CF.

Its not easy cutting money from any budget, eventually someone has to feel it somewhere, and right now for the short term its the PRes, but things will turn around.

I've heard there's been quite a few RegF courses cancelled at CFSCE until the new fiscal year. The PRes is getting hit hard as usual, but everyone else is feeling a little pinch too.

Dean22 said:

Either you're lying or he is out to lunch.
Every year int he reserves there is a VERY large turn over of trained reservists who
1. Transfer to the reg force
2. Transfer to different regiments within the reseves.
3. Quit the reserves.
4. Get kicked out of the reserves.

If a unit didn't recruit for 2 whole yes the reserve regiment would basically fail to be an effective working unit anymore.

jak3_dude said:
Hey guys, just wanted to make an area where we can discuss the current fund shortage for reserves.

I heard there's one unit down in London who are down to one training night a month and apparently some are on complete stand down until the new Fiscal year (April 1st, not to be confused with new Calender year).

I only started hearing about this tonight because my BMQ course (this was going to be weekend 6, ie. half way mark) has been put on stand down.  We all have training with our units, but no more BMQ until either some money is found (very unlikely) or the new fiscal year arrives (4 months from now) and chances are if we can't re-start until April they are going to make us restart BMQ from week 1.  I heard this is unprecedented and that a course has never been canceled like this before. 

Anyone else in the same boat as me (in my BMQ course or not)?

I'm hoping for the best (they'll take off where we left) but expecting the worst (re-starting at day 1).

I love how our Sergeant explained it to us: "Okay troops, basically, this is what happened" *draws a dollar sign on the board* "and now" *crosses out dollar sign* "any questions?"  too funny

Every one here is pretty bummed about it.  People who've been kicked off BMQ have priority in new courses popping up over new recruits who've been waiting for BMQ and it's messing up entire training schedules, like university students were supposed to get on the early SQ course in the summer and then do QL3 later in the summer, but now, if we don't graduate until mid summer maybe even later, we may be lucky to make it in time to a late summer SQ.  Some rumours that we may not even graduate this summer but take it back up in our equivelent timed course next year (October)

Unhappy faces all around, especially recruiting officers who can't even promise prospective recruits actual course dates.  Our unit is at roughly 50% size and the recruiting officer had finally been given the green light to recruit to make out unit 100% size (about another 100 members) and now he can't even work on that problem since he almost has to go "Yeah, training will start some time next year".  Sergeant is unhappy because there are about 30 of us Private Recruits who can't really do anything around the unit other than shovel snow (which is what we did tonight) until we're BMQ qualified and the likes.

Basically things aren't pretty over here.

As far as I am aware Reserve units were stood down a couple of extra weeks in January.  I can' see them being shut down until April or only training one night a month. Reserves need to reach certain levels of training with their soldiers and certain skills taught each year. One night a month won't accomplish that and if were the case it would be a waste of money to even have people show up for that. You're just listening to rumor mill and whoever your instructors are SHOULD be stopping that shit.

Courses are different. All the courses being run have been put on hold until April 2010. We have instructors and students on both PLQ serials and BMQ serials told their respective courses are on hold until April so the army can get a hold of the money they have been pissing away and see where they stand.

Law & Order said:
I have only been in long enough to experience a state of constant growth in the CF/Reserve.  This isn't really a full step back yet, but more of a maintain status quo.  If you've been lucky to attend any of the town halls on this issue, multiple have taken place in the NCR, then you'll understand a little bit about why the PRes has been hit, and its not just the PRes.  Some things have to take place. IE Commitments to Operations.  Bulk of the funds have to go there, and should go there.  No short changing anyone on deployment.  Force regeneration of vehicles also has to take place. New vehicles of the CMBG's and the battalions is a priority. While units want to expand and grow/replenish from those who've released, there are other priorities t get taken care of for the greater good of the CF.

Its not easy cutting money from any budget, eventually someone has to feel it somewhere, and right now for the short term its the PRes, but things will turn around.

Sorry. I been watching this shit for forty years, and while some of your points are valid, I'm not buying what your smoking.

Flawed Design said:
As far as I am aware Reserve units were stood down a couple of extra weeks in January.  I can' see them being shut down until April or only training one night a month. Reserves need to reach certain levels of training with their soldiers and certain skills taught each year. One night a month won't accomplish that and if were the case it would be a waste of money to even have people show up for that. You're just listening to rumor mill and whoever your instructors are SHOULD be stopping that shit.

Sorry. I'm looking at my unit calender right now and it's one half day a month until Apr at least.

thanks for confirming that fact recceguy, now I don't look like an idiot ;D

my mom was talking to my uncle this morning (who is RegForce) and he said that there have been some Junior Leadership something-or-rather courses that were canceled as well (a course for MCpls, can't remember what it's called entirely) and there are delays in certain areas (although my mom didn't specify if he said that was also due to budget cuts).

Also the Winter Warfare course at my unit a couple weeks back was canceled entirely as well, not just limited numbers.

jak3_dude said:
my mom was talking to my uncle this morning (who is RegForce) and he said that there have been some Junior Leadership something-or-rather courses that were canceled as well (a course for MCpls, can't remember what it's called entirely)
Primary Leadership Qaulification (Infantry) or PLQ I Mod 6.  Yes, I had heard from guys in rear party that they shouldn't expect one of those courses any time soon and they basically were told there was no money for anything.  I have been busy on courses and what not and haven't heard those particular points passed on to me from the CoC.

DirtyDog said:
Primary Leadership Qaulification (Infantry) or PLQ I Mod 6.  Yes, I had heard from guys in rear party that they shouldn't expect one of those courses any time soon and they basically were told there was no money for anything.  I have been busy on courses and what not and haven't heard those particular points passed on to me from the CoC.
and it's funny because only 2 years ago, there was this mass push to produce MCpls

recceguy said:
Sorry. I'm looking at my unit calender right now and it's one half day a month until Apr at least.
same with my unit.

i find it quite unbelievable that couple million bucks can't be found to at least pay for one half day training night per week, out of a multi billion dollar budget

recceguy said:

recceguy,

You've been around the block 10 or 20 times. Has this ever happened before?

I remember back in 06-08 the PRes was all about recruiting and having us train as often as possible. Talk about building it up to tear it down. I have a feeling that there are a bunch of PRes Pte-MCpl's that are relying on that  Class A employment that they had been able to depend on for so long. Of course Operational needs should be priority, but wow.

It seems kind of silly when Crew Commanders are going to have to become Crew trainers at Mcdonalds to pay their car insurance...  :-\

Is there really no money to even take the guys in every parade night and have them work on some PT and weapons handling?

jak3_dude said:
I only started hearing about this tonight because my BMQ course (this was going to be weekend 6, ie. half way mark) has been put on stand down.  We all have training with our units, but no more BMQ until either some money is found (very unlikely) or the new fiscal year arrives (4 months from now) and chances are if we can't re-start until April they are going to make us restart BMQ from week 1.  I heard this is unprecedented and that a course has never been canceled like this before.

Just wondering what part of the country your doing your BMQ in?

Back