• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

09/10 Budget Impact on PRes - Unit stand-downs, Class B Freeze, and so on!

popnfresh said:
Now would be a good time for the Navy to recruit. Put a couple recruiters at every armoury...

"Do you guys like to get paid?"

:2c:
Since they wear NCDs now, at least they'll be visible. ;D

Technoviking said:
Here is a question from a guy who hasn't been in the Militia for over 20 years: do they still do the pink sign in sheets?

No.  That process was forbidden when NDHQ Instruction 2-93 was issued stating that "voluntary (i.e. unpaid) service of any type is forbidden" (or words to that effect).  CF Mil Pers Instruction 20-04 perpetuates that prohibition.

Haggis said:
No.  That process was forbidden when NDHQ Instruction 2-93 was issued stating that "voluntary (i.e. unpaid) service of any type is forbidden" (or words to that effect).  CF Mil Pers Instruction 20-04 perpetuates that prohibition.

It's more of a CBI issue - the pay CBIs use the term "shall" for pay - it's not optional.

That being said, a lot of Reserve admin is done "off the books" by senior staff; sometimes, there are paysheets approved for such work, sometimes not.

Flawed Design said:
Either you're lying or he is out to lunch.
Every year int he reserves there is a VERY large turn over of trained reservists who
1. Transfer to the reg force
2. Transfer to different regiments within the reseves.
3. Quit the reserves.
4. Get kicked out of the reserves.

No, he was correct. I called the unit and there next training BMQ that they would be able to accept applications is September 2010 and there are "A TON" of people ahead of me in the process for that unit so I am just going for the next best thing which, I actually am pretty interested in now which, is another unit in the same city that needs people (Sig Ops).

The only thing that seems to be getting into Reserve units by me is co-op for high school students OR if you live out of the city they "want" people who don't live in the city (I don't know why).

jak3_dude said:
Hey guys, just wanted to make an area where we can discuss the current fund shortage for reserves.

I heard there's one unit down in London who are down to one training night a month and apparently some are on complete stand down until the new Fiscal year (April 1st, not to be confused with new Calender year).

What ever happened to troop retention? A 1/2 day a month is crap, considering this is supposed to be a part time job, and times ae still tough for many. I am sure many will leave because of this, and you can't blame them really. All that $ worth training them up, and then no trg days, what a waste of money. At 1/2 a month what trg is even worth it? It will be taken up on maintenance of eqpt and admin.

Personally in the Res Unit I am with (allbeit Australia) , we in a TSU role get no fewer than 4, and no more than 5 full 6 hr trg days on Tuesdays from 1600-2200, and then 1 or more weekends a month. Since my 1st day with the Reserves here in August, I have clocked in 27 days, which included some trg outside wknds and trg nights. All tax free too.

Someone should start writing their MPs, but would that help anyways?

Absolutly pathetic.

OWDU

Overwatch Downunder said:
Someone should start writing their MPs,

Write theri MPs about what ?

That DND isnt getting as much money as before and has to make tough choices. I understand this is a problem but what would you cut instead ?

If you think its only the Pres taking a hit, i've got news for ya........

Mate, I was taking a desperate stab, but it possibly should be noted that the Reserve members will drop, and infact it is supposed to be a part time job, but at 1/2 days pay a month, that won't even/barely buy a 24 pack of beer. How can a student even get spening money out of that?

Sure the lifers, say SGTs and above might stick around as they have careers in other professions and are much more settled than a 17 yr old student for example.

I would write my MP to let him know my unhappiness with the situation.

Anything is better than nothing.

Regards,

OWDU

I don't feel so bad with all my Monthly Wednesday now. I could use a couple of week end for some field time, but it looks like others are much harder hit then we are.

As far as I am concerned, it's just time to get creative. The reserve never offered enough training with class A days only to ensure adequate training anyways (IMHO), so I have been looking on what else to help the guys along.

We might not be able to sign a pink sheet or anything like that. But nothing is going to stop civilians from gathering at a civi range and do some shooting on their own, or start a fitness club, or go on ride alongs with local police, or get together and have a BBQ, or even go camping together.

My platoon mates are aware of the financial situation. When challenged I can't help but to be proud of the response and solutions they have come up with to fill the void from those empty training week ends.

This "standown" is serious. As some have noted in these threads, it will impact the credibility of the Reserve Force to attract and retain talent in the long term. There is no question that the Federal Deficit (which is part of the reason for the funding cut backs) will affect all departments including DND. The easy out, however, was to lean on the Reserves. What happened to the "one army" mantra?

After the huge recruiting effort over the past 5 years (i.e. since the LFRR) the potential to turn back the clock on progress is very real. The "take it with a grain of salt" view is missing the point. The cancellation of IT (dvr wheeled, BMQ, PLQ, BOTP, etc.) will have lasting impacts. The CO's of the affected regiments know this and that's why they are encouraging members to maintain their PT and camaraderie between the sparse trg dates.

Dissident said:
I don't feel so bad with all my Monthly Wednesday now. I could use a couple of week end for some field time, but it looks like others are much harder hit then we are.

As far as I am concerned, it's just time to get creative. The reserve never offered enough training with class A days only to ensure adequate training anyways (IMHO), so I have been looking on what else to help the guys along.

We might not be able to sign a pink sheet or anything like that. But nothing is going to stop civilians from gathering at a civi range and do some shooting on their own, or start a fitness club, or go on ride alongs with local police, or get together and have a BBQ, or even go camping together.

My platoon mates are aware of the financial situation. When challenged I can't help but to be proud of the response and solutions they have come up with to fill the void from those empty training week ends.

That's what I was talking about! Instead of whining and bitching, put that energy into something constructive. Hell, you don't even need the CoCs permission for most of this stuff, if you conduct it as civies. Heck, winter indoc is just a weekend camping trip with the guys at the nearest campground! Go have some fun and maintain your skills and teach it to the newbies.

Well, technically speaking, reservists are responsible for their own physical fitness anyway since we don't have enough time to really shape up during our weekly Trgs so that should be covered already anyway.

As for the other ideas, I'll pass them around to my CoC, see if we can't get something like that started up civi side. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks Dean22 but if you read up a little you'll already see Recceguy sorted me out  ;)

I love having CF members like Dapaterson on the forum, thanks for the insight.

Here's a question, not sure if it's been answered.
Is what's going on out west with the 2010 Olympics impacting reservists and the cutbacks we're facing??

There are a lot of rumours as to the cause other than the Olympics.

That's what I was talking about! Instead of whining and bitching, put that energy into something constructive. Hell, you don't even need the CoCs permission for most of this stuff, if you conduct it as civies. Heck, winter indoc is just a weekend camping trip with the guys at the nearest campground! Go have some fun and maintain your skills and teach it to the newbies.

That may maintain the skillset for those soldiers that are dedicated and will volunteer their time to do so. Maintaining the skillset is only part of the problem though. A lot of people rely on Class A as their source of income. If the PRes can not provide them the income they require to survive, they'll have to seek a job elsewhere... one which may not give them the time required to parade with the unit once the stand-down is over. Further on that, once they get a stable civilian job, it is a very real possibility that they wont be able to attend courses during the summer, whether as candidates or staff. Why would they leave their stable job, work over the summer, just to find out they have to go and find another part time job afterwards because Class A days have been reduced?

popnfresh said:
Now would be a good time for the Navy to recruit. Put a couple recruiters at every armoury...

"Do you guys like to get paid?"

:2c:

Just a note that naval reserve units are feeling the pinch too, though from what I've seen/heard it doesn't sound as bad as what's being described in this forum for the army reserves so far...just less courses like 404's etc. and the possibility of some reduced training.  However, the new year may bring a much different reality...

Just want to add my two cents:

Jak3:  Don't expect you'll be able to add too much assistance in the system,  but pass those ideas to CS.  He's pretty good at knocking down any appearance of the "good idea fairy" and distinguishing them from good ideas at that.  Also tell your buddies not to lose too much heart.  You're in a good unit with a strong command team and a decent ops staff and you will get trained down the line.  With luck, you might even be lucky enough to skip the lame weekend BMQ and do a real summer camp deal with your buddies.  Worst come to worst, you'll be able to do a weekend BMQ the next year with a lot of assistance, tips, and good training from your two chefs.  They're good people. 

Snakedoc:  despite the cuts, you guys tend to have good bean counters.  I wouldn't be surprised if you had a pretty bad-ass orca exercise end of fiscal year.

Otherwise, this smells more bureaucratic spill-up than major issue and I don't see this bad-streak going any longer than the 15th of March.  I also would not be surprised if a good chunk of cash found itself during the spring break.  End of fiscal years are always finicky that way.  I personally won't be able to teach myself which will be arse, but such is life.  Eat cheap, cut out alcohol, invest in a bus pass, get a student loan at arms-reach, and carry on.  Making do should be nothing new. 

Yeah, hopefully, but we haven't had summer BMQs over here for 2 years now, only weekend ones during the school year, but *crosses fingers* special circumstances call for special action; it would be pretty awesome to finish spring exams and head off for a month come back and go off again to do SQ all in one summer like they (apparently) use to.

Bang said:
Eat cheap, cut out alcohol, invest in a bus pass, get a student loan at arms-reach, and carry on.  Making do should be nothing new.

Damn - that's what went wrong when I was in school.  I cut out the bus pass and invested in alcohol.

jak3_dude said:
Yeah, hopefully, but we haven't had summer BMQs over here for 2 years now, only weekend ones during the school year

That died when the Comm Res joined the Army, I doubt its coming back. Long Live the Comm Res Battle School in Shilo!

Many young soldiers depend on the few hundred dollars a month they get from the reserves. I really hope they rescind this decision in January.

I wonder if the reserves will bounce back after the loss of faith all this stuff will accomplish.

Back