• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

04 June 2014: Shootings in Moncton NB, Three RCMP dead

Suspect in Moncton shooting talked about going out ‘with a bang’

The RCMP said Thursday that Mr. Bourque was not previously known to them. However, acquaintances described him as a quirky man who, in hindsight, was sending ominous clues.

Caitlin Isaac, who worked with Mr. Bourque at a Wal-Mart three years ago, said he often talked about wanting to “go out with a bang and take people with him.”

More at link

bridges said:
I wonder if, in the case of any future public shootings, the media were to have an embargo on the shooters' names and images and social media profiles, & leave that info to the investigators alone - would that dry up the source of attention that some of these people seem to crave?  And maybe prevent some of the carnage in the future? 

With today's technology and the wide range of technologies and apps in use, it would be impossible to do so without shutting down the complete Internet and Cell Tower systems. 

While all your points do hold some validity, at the same time the broad spectrum of information being posted is also a great resource for the Police force to use in intelligence gathering.  For instance, I am sure it was not a police source that found the gunman's FB page.  The Police are also responding to phone calls and tweets to track the gunman. 

When cases like this that are active and happening in real time it can be beneficial to get as much info out to the public as possible.  Take the case of the recent child abduction in three rivers.  Within hours the woman's picture was all over the news and social media and luckily some alert people recognised her and alerted the authorities as to where she lived.

Someone likely know this scumbag and may know where he hangs out, hides and his habits etc etc.  The police may not know who he knows.  But you can bet someone watching does.

Used properly the media and the public are great tools at solving and preventing crime.  Creating infamy unfortunately may or may not be the cost.  When you shoot three cops in Canada, your name and or actions will be known.  At least for the first little while.

Edit to add: The real problem comes when the media turn something like this into "info-tainement".  It no longer belongs in the news world but more in the tabloid rags.  CNN is notorious for this kind of garbage.

The police are adept at looking up FB profiles all on their own.  And if people are giving the police tips on where they are seeing the shooter, I'm not sure that means the media have to report on his name and his past. 

However - as you say, once his picture is out, it would not be long before family, acquaintances or co-workers tweeted his name.  It would require the broad cooperation of many areas of society, not to mention many people suppressing their urges to find out every little detail about the human depravity involved.

I just can't help but think that for every nutbar who does go out in the streets and fire his/her gun, there are dozens more in the background just thinking, alright, here's a way to finally make a statement and have everyone know my name.    :mad:

------------

This whole event is a true shame, and tragedy, for the police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty, protecting us and the rule of law.  Sincere condolences, and appreciation. 

bridges said:
I just can't help but think that for every nutbar who does go out in the streets and fire his/her gun, there are dozens more in the background just thinking, alright, here's a way to finally make a statement and have everyone know my name.    :mad:

Sadly, reading some of the comments on Yahoo had me thinking that too.  Not so much of the "I'll be (in)famous", but the "getting back at the establishment" mindset.

There's some really disturbed/delusional people out there.

bridges said:

Maybe. But do you remember the name of the guy that shot four mounties in Mayorthorpe?  Without looking it up?  I can't.  But I know what happened and some of the reported events.  But i don't remember his name.  I bet in 5 years we won't remember his either. 

Still a valid point though.  But likely something that will never be avoided.

Crantor said:
Maybe. But do you remember the name of the guy that shot four mounties in Mayorthorpe?  Without looking it up?  I can't.  But I know what happened and some of the reported events.  But i don't remember his name.  I bet in 5 years we won't remember his either. 

Still a valid point though.  But likely something that will never be avoided.

Personally I'd rather remember the victims then the perp, and being out in Alberta I do remember James Roszko and that tragedy.

I make a point of never mentioning the perps name, just my way of saying FU to their despicable deeds.

Does anyone know what type of rifle that is? It looks to me like an M14 variant.

justin-bourque.jpg

Media's been reporting it as a FN C1A1.

After a number of posts describing where the police are and what they're doing, CBC has now closed comments on its live blog.  Not sure if that will shut down the automatic Twitter posts, but that seems prudent.

Edit:  nope...  just saw a pic of two officers behind a house.  Can't imagine the strain they must all be under.  :(

PuckChaser said:
Media's been reporting it as a FN C1A1.

So the guy either A. got it illigally, or B has a prohib which would make him a lot more dangerous with weapons he has access to. Given that this seems planned, I imagine he has other weapons and ammo stashed away

Looks more like an M1A- civilian version of the M14. I could be wrong. Either way, .308 semiautomatic mag fed. Bad news.

Brihard said:
Looks more like an M1A- civilian version of the M14. I could be wrong. Either way, .308 semiautomatic mag fed. Bad news.

My money is on it being a Norinco M305. A very popular M1A clone. Comes with 1 or 2 pinned 20 rd mags. 

One bit of info on weapons owned by Bourque:
.... According to (a friend), Bourque owned a Chinese M-14 rifle and a shotgun. The latter was purchased in the last few months ....
Another media outlet's best guesses:
....  The guns appear to be an M14 semi-automatic rifle, or its similar M305, and a Mossberg 500 SPX 6-shot pump-action shotgun.

A redacted copy of the long gun registry, reflecting the data as it was in mid-2012, shows ten M-14 rifles registered in Moncton-area postal codes. All were made by Norinco or Poly Technologies, Chinese state-owned munitions companies.

Across the country, 6,048 were registered.

The data shows one Mossberg 500 Tactical shotgun, very similar to one Bourque is seen carrying in two images, registered to a Moncton-area resident on September 12, 2011.

Global News obtained the data under access-to-information laws ....

The National Post is now reporting on one of the RCMP officers who was killed, the dog handler: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/05/moncton-shooting-victim-was-a-rcmp-dog-handler-with-young-growing-family/

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Back