• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

Our kids and grandkids will probably be having these same discussions. Most of the comments would likely be interchangeable with the ones we’re posting now.

The whole ‘who are/aren’t the colonists?’ discussion is fruitless. Why would any of them accept those labels any more than any of us here when called ‘settlers’? The reality is nearly everyone alive there now was born after the modern state of Israel was created, and after a sizeable Palestinian population existed in Gaza and the West Bank. The people are there, none are willing to go anywhere not cede territory. Any meaningful discussion needs to start from an acceptance, even if only a grudging one, of this fact set.

There are two groups trying to occupy a fair bit of the same space who too frequently deny each others’ basic humanity. They’ll keep killing each other long after we’re all done talking about it.

Our kids and grandkids will probably be having these same discussions. Most of the comments would likely be interchangeable with the ones we’re posting now.

The whole ‘who are/aren’t the colonists?’ discussion is fruitless. Why would any of them accept those labels any more than any of us here when called ‘settlers’? The reality is nearly everyone alive there now was born after the modern state of Israel was created, and after a sizeable Palestinian population existed in Gaza and the West Bank. The people are there, none are willing to go anywhere not cede territory. Any meaningful discussion needs to start from an acceptance, even if only a grudging one, of this fact set.

There are two groups trying to occupy a fair bit of the same space who too frequently deny each others’ basic humanity. They’ll keep killing each other long after we’re all done talking about it.

And the really sad part is that they have millennia of practice.

One of my favourite analogies -

1710939521251.png

The Americans were explicit in their rejection of the Old World. And for a couple of centuries they managed to keep that world at bay. But now the rest of the crabs have caught up.

History in those areas are "lived" and not just some forgotten bits. It will take a few hundred years for the message to change. It is interesting when they ask what were their ancestors before they became Muslim.

Why is the PFLP allowed to HQ themselves here?

Oh I forgot - if you protest this you’re an Islamophobe 😱

monty python GIF

Quite the impressive op, some 158 dead terrorists and 358 captured, including a bunch of high level targets. No doubt the Hamas apologists are going to say "IDF evil attacking a hospital"
I wonder how many people actually know that once a hospital, church, mosque etc is used to store arms, ammo and fighters it loses that protection? That is how I understand it.

I wonder how many people actually know that once a hospital, church, mosque etc is used to store arms, ammo and fighters it loses that protection? That is how I understand it.
That’s essentially correct. The other targeting principles are all still in play, but absolute protection is voided.

Perfidity. It's spelled out in all of the Geneva Conventions in detail.
That’s not what perfidy is. Perfidy would be, eg, waving a white flag to signal surrender, then ambushing your captors. Or using protected symbols to, say, protect clandestine arms shipments. This is definitely adjacent to that, but is more a classic abuse of a site that generally would have protected status.

What are they going to do with all the captured? Can some be charged with war crimes or crimes against humanity?
Whatever they do, the Israelis will be condemned (in Canada leading with the NDP).

What are they going to do with all the captured? Can some be charged with war crimes or crimes against humanity?
Whatever they do, the Israelis will be condemned (in Canada leading with the NDP).
I don’t know what Israel has in terms of domestic law to prosecute CAH/WC. Canada and a number of other countries have such laws; in Canada we can criminally prosecute CAH/WC under the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act, but it’s only ever happened twice. But I’m sure if any country has laws set up for this eventuality, it’ll be Israel.

That’s not what perfidy is. Perfidy would be, eg, waving a white flag to signal surrender, then ambushing your captors. Or using protected symbols to, say, protect clandestine arms shipments. This is definitely adjacent to that, but is more a classic abuse of a site that generally would have protected status.
Its toeing the line adjacent for sure.

no, the NDP and libs will quietly ignore this and pretend it didn't happen, in line with their reactions to the initial attacks by Hamas. Move along, nothing happened. They will wait until the next 19 year old draftee in the IDP pulls the trigger and then spring back into action

Back