• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Your dad was a nuclear physicist!? Hoooollllyyyyyyy...

Well assuming you are 50% him, I'm thinking you are inherently smarter than the average cat
He had a BA and MA in nuclear physics… followed by a PhD in Aerospace Engineering (influence of ionic molecular flow in the exosphere on orbiting bodies, ie. rocket science)…my wife would vouche that conversation around the G2G dinner table was a wee bit beyond normal… 😆

True he is a narcissist and has delusions of his influence and intelligence, but he also wants people to be aware of his legacy. He has passed legislation for national child care and national dental plan. I think that he will pass Pharmacare, which he thinks will cement his place in history as one of the greatest Canadian PM and then retire. After his retirement he will become a world diplomat / peace maker bring his ideas to the world to make it a better place, solve climate change, convincing everyone of feminist policies and political correctness. He will be the next Secretary-General of the United Nations ushering a golden age for the world.
I'll have some of what you're smoking.

If Pharamcare is passed in 2024, PM Trudeau will step down. He has made his legacy and he is tired. As for the rest, I'm just tapping into his current mindset of how he thinks of himself and his desire to be a truly inspirational transformational world leader.
Oh he's transformed things alright. I'd also say he's inspired a lot of people to think about trying something they've never tried before...he's succeeded beyond measure in both categories!

Yaaaaaayyyyyy!! Okay step down now pls...

He has made his legacy and he is tired.
His legacy is division along geographical, cultural, linguistic and ethnic lines. HE and his gang of four (Freeland, Eco Terrorist, and two others to be named later) have robbed this country blind while allowing foreign nations to plunder us. DO NOT be shocked when JT, CF and Eco Boy retire in luxury.

His legacy is division along geographical, cultural, linguistic and ethnic lines. HE and his gang of four (Freeland, Eco Terrorist, and two others to be named later) have robbed this country blind while allowing foreign nations to plunder us. DO NOT be shocked when JT, CF and Eco Boy retire in luxury.
The two others are Gerry Butts and Katy Telford. Telford's husband has already done pretty well by this Government.

Just seems to me to be throwing good money after bad.
Improving the abilty to provide good food while in a cramped and isolated environment is worthwhile. The cost of this is nothing in the scheme of things and might help a little with retention. It will be years before they are replaced and if this goes to helping to retain some people who grow their skills in this area, then it's a positive.

When I see one of these "Improved" subs working I consider it. For now I see a VLS equipped KS-111 as the best deal for Canada.
Again I can’t see Canada putting any money into a Sub program given the cuts and the already announced programs

Again I can’t see Canada putting any money into a Sub program given the cuts and the already announced programs
Hopefully some Allies take our government around the back of the woodshed and holds knife to their throats. I could see a buy of VLS equipped KS-III and being a threat multiplier for Canada while the CS are being built and brought service. If you signed the agreement tomorrow, I suspect the first one could ready for sea in 3 years. (If we go with their current weapon/sensor systems).

The cost of a KS-111 is about 1 billion Canadian per sub. Right now we are spending about 350 million a year to maintain our sub fleet. My WAG is that maintenance costs for 4 new subs would be 1/2 of the current cost, so just in maintenance savings alone we would cover the cost of one new sub in a decade and significantly expand our capabilities. With the CSC, P-8's, AOR's and 4-6 KS-111, the RCN would be one of the most capable navies out there. We could also pay for a new sub each year with the unspent DND monies being returned to the coffers each year. (yea I know funky accounting rules and the government likes is addicted to the pump up of the slush fund every year). I also think SK would offer some nice industrial offsets and creative industrial benefits as well.

Hopefully some Allies take our government around the back of the woodshed and holds knife to their throats.
No country is going to care about Canada’s sub fleet or lack there of.
I could see a buy of VLS equipped KS-III and being a threat multiplier for Canada while the CS are being built and brought service. If you signed the agreement tomorrow, I suspect the first one could ready for sea in 3 years. (If we go with their current weapon/sensor systems).
No money, and no push from the outside.

The cost of a KS-111 is about 1 billion Canadian per sub. Right now we are spending about 350 million a year to maintain our sub fleet. My WAG is that maintenance costs for 4 new subs would be 1/2 of the current cost, so just in maintenance savings alone we would cover the cost of one new sub in a decade and significantly expand our capabilities.
Except that isn’t how the GoC costs things.
Your need to find 6-7 B to fund that program.

With the CSC, P-8's, AOR's and 4-6 KS-111, the RCN would be one of the most capable navies out there.
I don’t see you getting 15 CSC sadly.
Nor the subs.

We could also pay for a new sub each year with the unspent DND monies being returned to the coffers each year. (yea I know funky accounting rules and the government likes is addicted to the pump up of the slush fund every year). I also think SK would offer some nice industrial offsets and creative industrial benefits as well.
There could be a number of things acquired if Canada had a plan…

I don't blame you for be pessimistic, but I might disagree with you on the push for more subs. That subject seems to be very much on peoples minds right now and having more western subs is a good deterrence factor.

I don't blame you for be pessimistic, but I might disagree with you on the push for more subs. That subject seems to be very much on peoples minds right now and having more western subs is a good deterrence factor.
Right now no one counts on Canada for subs. But it is for surface ships and maritime surveillance. So the CSC and P-8 acquisitions are pressing, and as I noted above I’m fairly pessimistic about the RCN even getting all of the CSC.

Before Canada looked at Subs, I’d suggest to at more AOR’s would be more graciously received by allies, as well as some RO/RO transports.

Back