• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Simon Logan v. Her Majesty The Queen

OK, but the $5286 is the 75% of my salary when I did retire in april 2007, I was making $7048 monthly. and I have been on long term disability since then ?

OK, but the $5286 is the 75% of my salary when I did retire in april 2007, I was making $7048 monthly. and I have been on long term disability since then ?
Are you collecting a pension or any other type of income? If so this could explain the reduced amount.

Every case is different, but you may be entitled to an Additional Pain and Suffering compensation if you are not already receiving it.

There may be other things like DEC (Diminished Earnings Capacity) since you been on LTD for so long, you may be eligible for that. I know DEC has indexing, and other things that can increase your compensation on a year to year basis.

If you haven't spoken with a VAC counselor in awhile I would suggest you do. There has been a lot of changes over the years, and mostly for the better. You may be leaving a lot of money on the table, but like I said before every case is different.

I was just wondering if anyone has received a payout or has any new info on when to expect a payout?

I was wondering the same thing.
When I talked to my SISIP case manager, she said that they have not received any info from the CF on any direction on payment. they can only pay what the CF (i.e. policy holder) tells them to.

part of what i am thinking is the the CF needs to get approval from parliment but I can't find anything to support this. I was looking at the fall fiscal update and couldn't find anything.

That's as far as i got

Hello everyone

I found bill C60 on the Parliament page and under Dept of National Defence section 1b I found this

Payments
(a) in respect of pension, insurance and social security programs or other arrangements for employees locally engaged outside of Canada; and
(b) in respect of the administration of such programs or arrangements, including premiums, contributions, benefit payments, fees and other expenditures made in respect of such employees and for any other persons that the Treasury Board determines

Bill C60 authorized just shy 780 million Dollars to defence during the fall economic update.

I don't believe those would be associated with the settlement. DND payments to Manulife for SISIP are Vote 15, not vote 1, 5 or 10 (those referred to in the narrative text).

And C-60 provided an aggregate of over $1.4B in authorities to Defence.

I don't believe those would be associated with the settlement. DND payments to Manulife for SISIP are Vote 15, not vote 1, 5 or 10 (those referred to in the narrative text).

And C-60 provided an aggregate of over $1.4B in authorities to Defence.

Thanks, I've been poking around in the dark

Government finance is not particularly intuitive at the best of times with the simple files. This is neither the best of times, nir a simple file.

I was just wondering if anyone has received a payout or has any new info on when to expect a payout?
I just spoke with a buddy who is part of the class action as well. He got a message from the lawyer telling the first payouts have started and the first cheque was cut right before Christmas. McInnes is in the process of drafting an update and we should have this news from them on their website very soon. The lawyer stated that those in the class who were released from 2012 to 2017 will be in the first group to be paid first. Apparently SISIP is going in chronological order. My buddy also told me that he spoke to one guy in another forum who says he received a cheque for $800. He was on SISIP Ltd for 2 years and in receipt of PLD at time of release. I will keep an eye out for a news release from mcinnes. I will also let you know if I get a letter as well… but my release year was 2016 so I imagine many others will get a letter from SISIP before me.

good to know, I was released in 2012 so I will update if I hear anything

Correct me if I'm wrong. So this is the Class Action case where there is a Miscalculation of Disability Benefits and if anyone has received any type of Lump Sum amounts over the past recent years should be eligible for this?

Correct me if I'm wrong. So this is the Class Action case where there is a Miscalculation of Disability Benefits and if anyone has received any type of Lump Sum amounts over the past recent years should be eligible for this?
No, this is in regards to SISIP LTD and allowances not being included. This one is Logan the other one your referring to is Mangue.

SISIP LTD Allowances Class Action​

CLASS ACTION REGARDING THE CALCULATION OF LONG TERM DISABILITY BENEFITS UNDER DIVISION 2, PART III(B) of SISIP POLICY #901102

Simon Logan v. His Majesty The King

Federal Court of Canada Number T-1358-18

UPDATE: January 4, 2024

We are pleased to advise that payments to class members have started.

With limited exceptions for deceased Class Members and Class Members with appeals, 50% of Class Members will receive their retroactive payment by June 23, 2024 and each Class Member is expected to receive their retroactive payment by June 23, 2025.

We take this opportunity to highlight some important dates, notably the deadlines to appeal various decisions, as outlined in the Settlement Agreement, approved by the Federal Court on April 24, 2023. Below, please see the deadlines for appealing your exclusion from the Class list, appealing the amount received, and appealing the monthly amount of Income Replacement Benefit payable to you after your SISIP benefits adjustment.

Appealing your exclusion from the Class list

You have until June 23, 2024, to appeal your exclusion to the class. If you have not been informed you are a Class Member, but believe you fall within the definition of the Class, as defined by the Court, please contact us by e-mailing sisipclassaction@mcinnescooper.com.

The Class is defined as follows: All former members of the Canadian Armed Forces who were released on or before December 31, 2021, and who on or after July 17, 2012 received, long term disability benefits and/or dismemberment benefits under Division 2, Part III(B) of SISIP Policy 901102, and had a monthly allowance from the Canadian Armed Forces in effect on the date of their release from the Canadian Armed Forces or, in the case of a Class “C” member, when the injury was incurred or the illness was contracted.

Appealing the amount received

Class Members will receive their payments as Manulife processes the amount of their entitlement. Each Class Member will receive a detailed breakdown showing the information used to determine the payment owed to the Class member.

If you believe there is an error in the calculation of your payment, you must file your appeal within 60 days of receiving it.

To ensure we can help with this process and meet the 60-day deadline, please contact class counsel as soon as possible if you believe there is an error with your additional amount. You may reach us by emailing sisipclassaction@mcinnescooper.com.

Appealing the monthly amount of Income Replacement Benefit payable to you after your SISIP benefits adjustment

If you continue to receive SISIP benefits and Income Replacement Benefits, your IRB monthly amount will be adjusted going forward to account for the increase in SISIP benefits.

Class Members have 60 days from the date on which they receive notice of VAC’s recalculation of their Income Replacement Benefit to request a review by Veterans Affairs Canada, unless circumstances beyond the Class Member’s control warrant an extension to that period.

Back