• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

You could do it with Canadian Officers and some NCO's and slowly build up their abilty to lead. Yes they never get to our level of "Diversity and inclusion" but they will be able to fight.
Fighting has generally never been an issue for Canadians.
Given Canada doesn’t have an imperialist history x there is no need to go out and attempt to duplicate the colonial trappings.

Better to acquire more equipment and make the CAF an attractive employment option in peace and war.

Given Canada doesn’t have an imperialist history x there is no need to go out and attempt to duplicate the colonial trappings.

Better to acquire more equipment and make the CAF an attractive employment option in peace and war.
Agreed.

The issue is moreso that our political class has been far removed from that fighting since our inception as a nation. That fighting spirit does fuck all when the elected leaders have left things to rot for decades at a time.

What's the quote from Thucydides about "cowards and fools" again?

I am thinking of how we can get more rifles into action to flesh out our Infantry arm and get immigrants who will be good for Canada in the long run.

I am thinking of how we can get more rifles into action to flesh out our Infantry arm and get immigrants who will be good for Canada in the long run.
Fix the recruiting process - I can guarantee that none of the Nepalese Ghurka candidates want to wait 18 months in a recruiting pipeline, and you will mostly end up with folks who you don't want who would be willing to wait.

If we could get the process even to less then 100 days, we would see in roads galore
I'm somewhat perplexed that is can't be done inside 14 days.
Paperwork isn't that intensive, and we live in a digital age.
Background shouldn't be that hard to check at least for admission standards inside of a few hours.
No Recruit be it NCM or Officer needs to have a Secret to start their basic training.
Medical, either have a MO at the Recruiting Center for screenings, or farm the entry medical out to local Health Care.
Aptitude Testing doesn't take much to administer.

Fix the recruiting process - I can guarantee that none of the Nepalese Ghurka candidates want to wait 18 months in a recruiting pipeline, and you will mostly end up with folks who you don't want who would be willing to wait.
I would just tag onto the UK recruiting process and keep them in a separate HR function. They get paid less than a Canadian but still good wage by their standards. Currently the UK takes a small fraction of applicants. The biggest challenge is going to be finding the Canadian Officers and NCO's. Eventually train up Gurkhas to be NCO's and just have Canadian Officers. Lease a base in Eastern Europe for stationing them and training them for now.

Recruit Intake 23 for the Brigade of Gurkhas was completed on Saturday the 4th of February 2023 at British Gurkhas Pokhara, Nepal. This is an intense time for lucky few that had made it through regional selection events on route to Phase Three (Final Selection). Nearly 20,000 applied for only 204 vacancies in 2023.

The potential recruits (PRs) called forward to Phase Three (Final Selection) had to meet the minimum standards as a starting point and compete against each other on various fitness tests, educational tests, medicals, paperwork checks and interviews to show the recruitment staff they were the best PRs and deserved the chance to be become a Gurkha Soldier in the Brigade of Gurkhas.

I would just tag onto the UK recruiting process and keep them in a separate HR function. They get paid less than a Canadian but still good wage by their standards. Currently the UK takes a small fraction of applicants. The biggest challenge is going to be finding the Canadian Officers and NCO's. Eventually train up Gurkhas to be NCO's and just have Canadian Officers. Lease a base in Eastern Europe for stationing them and training them for now.

Recruit Intake 23 for the Brigade of Gurkhas was completed on Saturday the 4th of February 2023 at British Gurkhas Pokhara, Nepal. This is an intense time for lucky few that had made it through regional selection events on route to Phase Three (Final Selection). Nearly 20,000 applied for only 204 vacancies in 2023.

The potential recruits (PRs) called forward to Phase Three (Final Selection) had to meet the minimum standards as a starting point and compete against each other on various fitness tests, educational tests, medicals, paperwork checks and interviews to show the recruitment staff they were the best PRs and deserved the chance to be become a Gurkha Soldier in the Brigade of Gurkhas.
I’m just not seeing anything that is a net benefit to the CAF in this sorry.

Might as well just hire mercenaries if you're just looking for cheap, foreign troops. I hear Wagner Group is available....

Background shouldn't be that hard to check at least for admission standards inside of a few hours.
No Recruit be it NCM or Officer needs to have a Secret to start their basic training.
Medical, either have a MO at the Recruiting Center for screenings, or farm the entry medical out to local Health Care.
How about roll the medical into day 0 bmq?

Might as well just hire mercenaries if you're just looking for cheap, foreign troops. I hear Wagner Group is available....
Brings a whole new meaning to the term "Freedom Convoy" So where would Wagner settle? East coast but Irving would not like the competition.

If I remember well, there a total of 12 to 16 hours of clerical stuff in all the enrolment process. That’s the paperwork load. The rest is waisted in waiting for action on the files. Actions like interviews, medical appointments, security clearance. All of those are somewhat out of recruitment group.

Since there no real willingness tho solve that in adding the proper resources, well it take months.

So pay to fly people to St. Jean just to tell them they don't meet the standards for the trade they chose, or don't meet the standards for the CAF?

I don't see that fixing anything....
Atleast that way we would be processing them quickly, could we incur increased travel costs? Yes, is it worth it if we see a large jump in recruits ? Yes

Atleast that way we would be processing them quickly, could we incur increased travel costs? Yes, is it worth it if we see a large jump in recruits ? Yes
Is the bad word of mouth, and increased work load on an already overworked medical system worth it in reality?

There isn’t any reason that couldn’t be done at a local Health Care facility, or Family Doctors office, and it would be significantly cheaper.
No to mention avoiding the whole bad blood aspect of people being recruited and booted out upon medical fail.

There isn’t any reason that couldn’t be done at a local Health Care facility, or Family Doctors office, and it would be significantly cheaper.
No to mention avoiding the whole bad blood aspect of people being recruited and booted out upon medical fail.
It as been tried. We received a recruit that when to that process. The civilian contracted MD didn’t understand why a person with a handicapped arm should not be able to be a gunner.

IMHO, it can be done if the civilian MD contractor received proper « training » IRT military medical standards.

Back