• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

That article was sobering to read. It's something we have been screaming about on this forum for a least 20 years.

Hopefully our Francophile PM heeds the advice; then again, he doesn't listen to his own cabinet and other advisors, so I hold out little hope.
The guy didn’t listen to his own cabinet Minister about the whole SNC Lavalin scandal, re “accepting bribes to change the law so your buddies don’t get charged isn’t allowed…”

Or the “awarding a sole source contract for a Billion dollars to a charity your family just so happens to run, is again, not allowed…”

International embarrassment doesn’t seem to affect him either, ie dressing more Indian than people living in India.

And it isn’t the first time Canada has been called out for being laggards when it comes to defense matters. I wouldn’t bank on him being embarrassed into doing anything, because some people really just are an embarrassment.

I disagree with him that Canada should be more involved in some places like Africa.

I don’t like the comparison of then & now when it comes to the UN…yes we used to have 3,300 assigned to missions compared with some token assignments now.

But that doesn’t acknowledge the troops we had on IMPACT, REASSURANCE, PODIUM - the rotational training for those troops also - plus the RCAF being extremely active in NATO roles, flying supplies to various places worldwide, SAR, and forward deployed aircraft to support our Ukraine efforts as well as UN efforts in Africa.

Overall though, I do agree with the French ambassador’s broader point. He isn’t wrong.

The guy didn’t listen to his own cabinet Minister about the whole SNC Lavalin scandal, re “accepting bribes to change the law so your buddies don’t get charged isn’t allowed…”

Or the “awarding a sole source contract for a Billion dollars to a charity your family just so happens to run, is again, not allowed…”

International embarrassment doesn’t seem to affect him either, ie dressing more Indian than people living in India.

And it isn’t the first time Canada has been called out for being laggards when it comes to defense matters. I wouldn’t bank on him being embarrassed into doing anything, because some people really just are an embarrassment.

I disagree with him that Canada should be more involved in some places like Africa.

I don’t like the comparison of then & now when it comes to the UN…yes we used to have 3,300 assigned to missions compared with some token assignments now.

But that doesn’t acknowledge the troops we had on IMPACT, REASSURANCE, PODIUM - the rotational training for those troops also - plus the RCAF being extremely active in NATO roles, flying supplies to various places worldwide, SAR, and forward deployed aircraft to support our Ukraine efforts as well as UN efforts in Africa.

Overall though, I do agree with the French ambassador’s broader point. He isn’t wrong.

Meanwhile, sounds like the CDS is close to despair--CP story:

Lee Berthiaume
The commander of the Canadian Armed Forces is calling on the country to rally behind its military as it faces an unprecedented personnel crisis that he says is threatening its ability to protect and defend Canada.
“We’re here to defend our way of life, now and into the future,” chief of the defence staff Gen. Wayne Eyre said. “So we need a whole-of-society effort to help us bring the Armed Forces back to where it needs to be for the dangerous world ahead.”
The extraordinary appeal comes as Eyre and his subordinates are struggling to fill around 10,000 empty positions at a time when Canada’s military is facing a growing number of threats and requests for help at home and abroad.
Earlier this month, the defence chief issued an order setting a new direction for the military after years of high-tempo deployments and operations, making recruitment and retention of personnel its top priority…

Mark
Ottawa

The answer from the majority of Canadians to the question 'do you want money spent on defence or dental care' would tell us where politicians will place CAF funding on the priority list.

Pearsonian peacekeeping involved two at least somewhat legitimate governments at least somewhat agreeing to the presence of the contingent. I would ask those who wish to return to those days where such conditions exist today.

The answer from the majority of Canadians to the question 'do you want money spent on defence or dental care' would tell us where politicians will place CAF funding on the priority list.

Pearsonian peacekeeping involved two at least somewhat legitimate governments at least somewhat agreeing to the presence of the contingent. I would ask those who wish to return to those days where such conditions exist today.
Especially with an understanding that the peacekeepers won't be involved in combat on a regular basis. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few countries who've got armed problems beyond their own capability to get rid of who'd be quite happy with a Canadian force getting stuck in.

Meanwhile, sounds like the CDS is close to despair--CP story:

Mark
Ottawa
Maybe they should stop throwing people out for refusing the vaccine, then allowing recruits to join without vaccinations. For want of a charge, we lose skilled, dedicated soldiers. If the soldiers win on appeal, all the better.

Especially with an understanding that the peacekeepers won't be involved in combat on a regular basis. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a few countries who've got armed problems beyond their own capability to get rid of who'd be quite happy with a Canadian force getting stuck in.

But they won't be wanting rifles and bayonets, or even truck drivers for that matter. They want somebody to bring them all the stuff they can't afford and help them use it effectively.

It seems hardly anyone talks about patriotism and serving one’s country. My formative years were spent in the U.S. where the mindset was that, for the most part, it was a duty and an honour to serve in one of the branches following graduation from either high school or university. And then along came the Vietnam war which muddied the issue considerably. Still large numbers of (mostly) men were willing to do what it takes to defend their country’s values, even if those values were sometimes misplaced.

Yes, I know Canada is not the same as the U.S. and has a much smaller population and economy, etc., etc. But Canada did at least still have a respectable military following the War…we also had a decent military/industrial sector. I think it was in 1962-63, around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis that Canada had approximately125,000 in uniform. Consider Canada’s population at the time, which was almost 19 million, half of what it is today. Mind you that was before we had the huge expense of health care.

Regardless, Canada today can afford, or should I say cannot afford to NOT have a larger more powerful military. While in many ways I am a bit left of centre politically (especially the environment) I feel that too many people are ashamed to say that they want a stronger military. Maybe they think they will be considered warmongers for doing so. For one thing the media has long presented the military in a mostly bad light. Seeing reports from Afghanistan showing blood that is actually red rather than fading into the background black and white of WW2 newscasts can have a very sobering effect on a person. Also, the tragic events in Somalia as well as sexual harassment issues of today has scared many away from supporting our military.

In summary it’s all to easy for politicians to hide behind public perceptions as a reason to avoid pushing patriotism and increasing spending on our military. Unfortunately, Canada seems to have ignored the lessons of history just as Neville Chamberlain and his ilk in the U.K and France sought to appease Hitler. If they had stood up to him earlier in the mid 1930s the German high command had been willing to topple him from power.

While Russia’s military invasion of Ukraine has shown their incompetence in many ways, they are still a force to be reckoned with even if it’s due to their having a huge atomic weapons stockpile (some of which may actually work). However, the bigger threat is China with it’s huge military and mostly new weapons. On top of that, China considers itself a near-arctic nation and is building huge icebreakers to accomplish its agenda. They have a fleet of several thousand fishing vessels that travel en masse to the “disputed” fishing waters of other countries such as the Philippines, Vietnam and Chile quickly deplete the fish in those waters before moving on to the next fertile fishing ground. And in many cases they are backing up their economic imperialism with military protection.

Together, China and a weakened Russia (with huge energy reserves) are a threat unlike anything we have seen since the 1930s and possibly even more so. We cannot leave military preparedness only to the U.S., Britain and Australia. Those who support the military need to amplify their voices to ensure that the Canadian public is truly aware of what is happening and that Canada is woefully unprepared for a major war.

My wife recently lost a dear cousin who had been in the RCAF not too many years ago. A few years ago he ending up getting a mole on his nose which grew and looked threatening, and those who loved him urged him to go to a doctor and get it looked at. As it turns out it was melanoma and while the surgeon was able to successfully remove it, he ended up having cancer in his lungs. He passed away a very short time later. The reason I mention him is that he more or less hoped the problem would go away but it didn’t. Similarly, the problems of China and Russia are not going to go away because we wish them to.

Anyway, I hope I have been on topic and haven’t bored you folks half to death.

Maybe they should stop throwing people out for refusing the vaccine, then allowing recruits to join without vaccinations. For want of a charge, we lose skilled, dedicated soldiers.

Screw them, they made these idiotic policies, let the entire CAF collapse along with any sort of national defence we have left. We’re a large green welfare machine now.

Maybe they should stop throwing people out for refusing the vaccine, then allowing recruits to join without vaccinations. For want of a charge, we lose skilled, dedicated soldiers. If the soldiers win on appeal, all the better.
All ten of them? Also we aren’t letting anyone into BMQ, as far as I know, without vaccinations. Either way the numbers are so small that it’s a nil effect; plus those guys wouldn’t be able to deploy anyways so who cares ?

There are several places with a (sort of) legitimate government with an internal insurrection problem, but that is a domestic issue. A far cry from two countries arguing over common turf like Cyprus or the Golan Heights.

Jump into the British Gurkha recruiting program, they get first pick, we get second. Solider does 10 years and can get his citizenship and direct spouse/kids/parents PR status. That can give us a whole other battalion of infantry. Also let that battalion select it's officers from the Canadian Army, with a 6 month probation for the officer and then they are voted upon to see if they can stay, similar how the interwar Indian Army did it.
I be happy to have Gurkha's as neighbours.

The CAF does not need more full time infantry.

The traditional solution to recruiting problems is to declare success by bringing in excess infantry and MSE Ops and other easy to recruit trades, and continuing to ignore the difficult ones.

The CAF does not need more full time infantry.
What the CAF does need is a clear set of priorities, a definition of capabilites needed to support those priorities, and the room to maneuver to seek out and acquire those capabilities with minimal political and burecratic interference. We can assign people to trades based on what it is we need most to employ those capabilities and achieve tasks given within out priorities.

Until those things happen, we're doing the status quo with more flailing

Maybe it's time to let the Navy press gangs start touring the local alehouses again.

1879PressGang895.jpg

:giggle:

The war in Ukraine has both changed the international order and revealed many unknowns about what a modern peer on peer war would look like. All of NATO, not just Canada, needs to take a good hard look at what we really need, then collectively release new white papers. Until then, we're just spending money for the sake of hitting unqualified targets and buying votes.

Back