• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Public safety has an on-line survey for owners to comment on the pricing scheme. As soon as I found that it asks you what you own, I exited the survey without completing it. You can probably bet that your IP address is being traced as a means of identifying potential owners of formerly non-restricteds.

what garbage, there must be more to it than that. I get $1337 for my BCL but $2612 for my norinco M14/305! $2819 for a 50 cal? Thats a joke. Good thing I didn't buy that Lahti L-39 a few years back its now worth $2684. Where do they get these numbers, its pretty sad that it took 2 yrs to come up with this. I know I can find someone that will pay more than the government

Amnesty til October 2023. To early to get upset about anything yet. We can have parliament reconvene, lose a confidence vote and have an election before then.

I absolutely hate the term 'buyback'. They aren't buying back anything. That implies they owned the property at one point. Which they did not. It is 'expropriation' and I think its important that everyone starts to use the proper terminology as words do have meaning, especially when used in the correct manner.

I absolutely hate the term 'buyback'. They aren't buying back anything. That implies they owned the property at one point. Which they did not. It is 'expropriation' and I think its important that everyone starts to use the proper terminology as words do have meaning, especially when used in the correct manner.
Coercive confiscation, with some sugar stirred in to make it (at least in their minds) palatable.

Glad to see my tax dollar at work on stupid stuff…
A friend - former Inf O now in med school in the Caribbean - posted the following on another site:

"For every 60 AR-15s bought back we could have trained another doctor in Canada. There are enough AR-15s in Canada that we could have another 1500 new MDs. Something to think about when you hear your friends and family waiting for a surgery or to get a family doctor."

A friend - former Inf O now in med school in the Caribbean - posted the following on another site:

"For every 60 AR-15s bought back we could have trained another doctor in Canada. There are enough AR-15s in Canada that we could have another 1500 new MDs. Something to think about when you hear your friends and family waiting for a surgery or to get a family doctor."

Tell your friend I said thank you and I stole his quote and posted it my social Media. Giving him full credit.

Sorry, but I call BS on your math. It costs a lot more than $75k or whatever to train an MD in Canada. Most of it also taxpayer dollars. The often quoted $100k is only the cost to the student for tuition, books, labs and supplies - not society.

Take the budget of all the faculties of medicine and divide by the graduates per year and add that to it. While you are at it the cost of funding the various programs where students get their 3 year pre-med or 4 year undergraduate degree normalised to the percentage of students annually that get accepted into med school.

Then add the cost of the years of internship and residency to the hospitals that employ them. And the simple cost of living and not working for many years that the student also pays.

I would not be surprised if an all up forensic accounting of the cost for a non boarded MD is in the 1 million dollar range.

(It costs about CDN$2 million to train a US army helicopter pilot)

Last edited:
Questions like this always boil down to perspective.

Do we include the costs of instructors & teaching materials/labs/rooms?

Or do we measure that, but also include every penny the student doesn't earn and/or spends in that same time period to include 'opportunity cost?'

Regardless, I think we all agree that for a government that 'just can't give all Canadians tbey ask for'... they do seem to always have an abundance of money to pursue whatever dumb new idea they come up with.

I own one - yes one - firearm. A single shot .22 that was my dad's. Its about a 100 years old and still serviceable.

I'm with gun owners on this one. It's a scam and a way to get votes from the GTA and the anti gun people. I don't see any movement on gun crime using illegally imported firearms however.....

Heading this idea off at the pass here in Canada ....

As I recall a there is no such thing as a "prohibited knife" in Canada, but there are knives that are prohibited from entry into Canada? Also not an expert on 3D printing laws, but other than the lower receiver, I don't think they can nail you for the rest. You can print a lower receiver if you apply to the CFO to have it registered first as I recall?

As I recall a there is no such thing as a "prohibited knife" in Canada, but there are knives that are prohibited from entry into Canada? Also not an expert on 3D printing laws, but other than the lower receiver, I don't think they can nail you for the rest. You can print a lower receiver if you apply to the CFO to have it registered first as I recall?
If you think our gun laws are bad, our knife laws are actually worse. There is a few types of knives which are illegal. Off the top of my head, butterfly knives, switchblades, centrufugal knives, and knives that can be opened with one hand alone with no assistance. The reason that last one is stupid is because all it takes to make a folding knife illegal in many cases is a tightening or loosening of a screw.

Back