• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Majority of Canadians not interested in joining the CAF

Some fought and failed to get deployments; some were held back by their CoC "'til next roto".

And some (a smaller number) actively avoided deployments.

Some fought and failed to get deployments; some were held back by their CoC "'til next roto".

He is really good, or really shyte but thought of as really good. Hope it is the former.

With respect, I call BS. No one in the Reg Force has an excuse. Unless you're a bandsmen I suppose.

No comment.

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

I mean, if we're talking navy folks, there's those out there that spent a hell of a lot of time sailing, and just happened to end up racking up a shitload of sea time on stuff that didn't count towards any medals. Especially when you get stuff like East Coasters getting medals for their "NATO" tours, but West Coasters getting nothing for their RIMPAC tours, despite there being no real functional difference in what the ships are doing.

With respect, I call BS. No one in the Reg Force has an excuse. Unless you're a bandsmen I suppose.
I tried from 2002 til 2008 to get a deployment to Afghanistan. I was fit, had no Med excuses, and was rarin to go. My CoC turned down all my memos. BTW, I am not a thudfuck: apparently, I was crucial to the orgs that I was in. So, no BS, but some context.

I have a non zero number of conflicting experiences with peers and subordinates. Including such classic comments from the CoC as "I didn't want to deploy ,so I figured no one else would want to, so I sent a nil return". Or the self-fulfilling prophecy of "We want to send someone with experience deployed" resulting in no one getting experience, and the individual always tasked getting fed up and releasing.

Never underestimate the ability of the institution to go full stupid.

EDIT: To say nothing of someone DAGing red when the MPs want someone to be available for an interview once their CO has been relieved of command - and the MP interview only (finally) happening after the predeployment training, initial deployment, HLTA, return to deployment, return from deployment, and post-deployment leave being complete.

I mean, if we're talking navy folks, there's those out there that spent a hell of a lot of time sailing, and just happened to end up racking up a shitload of sea time on stuff that didn't count towards any medals. Especially when you get stuff like East Coasters getting medals for their "NATO" tours, but West Coasters getting nothing for their RIMPAC tours, despite there being no real functional difference in what the ships are doing.

Sine 9/11 the East coast has been flat out. And I'm sure it's the same on the west coast. It's a pretty rare sight to see a Chief with only a CD now. Which is very counter to when I joined. And which is also why it raises eye brows, mine included.

I tried from 2002 til 2008 to get a deployment to Afghanistan. I was fit, had no Med excuses, and was rarin to go. My CoC turned down all my memos. BTW, I am not a thudfuck: apparently, I was crucial to the orgs that I was in. So, no BS, but some context.

Thank you for your service. I hope you get the most out of your retirement.

Sine 9/11 the East coast has been flat out. And I'm sure it's the same on the west coast. It's a pretty rare sight to see a Chief with only a CD now. Which is very counter to when I joined. And which is also why it raises eye brows, mine included.
When I joined the CD was the only gong you saw on a naval uniform. Now, everyone has a rack that’ll make Nelson blush.

The West coast has been going hard as well, but even with that some people end up not deploying through no fault of their own. While I was out West I deployed multiple times, while during the same period a buddy of mine posted to a different ship sailed a lot, but never left the West coast of North America apart from one trip to Hawaii.

My last "deployment" was a 5 month Asia trip that only turned into a deployment after we had been home for a year. I know "Westploys", and "Southploys" months in duration were the norm out West for a long time, before the CAF started treating them properly as deployments.

I know Tim personally. He’s been on multiple deployments, they just weren’t ‘operational’ and didn‘t end up with a gong. He spent time as Fleet Chief in Halifax. The east coasters must have found his lack of salad interesting.
So he hasn't been on any deployment, he's just done a bunch of training/force generation sails allegedly 😁

Wait for it:

'Navy People getting angry and saying "every time we leave the wall" we are deployed!'

🤣

If they gave out medals every time I left base to do my job outside the country, I'd need counter weights. Since it's not a "named operation" even though the job is the essentially the same, you don't get the same recognition. In the end who cares how many pieces of flair you may or may not have, its more-so indicative of how little the CAF deploys, not so much an individual persons accomplishments. Troops with no medals just means the government has little interest in the CAF doing anything.

It makes a lot of folks blush.....way back when it was a source of pride that we didn't look like 'Mericans with camp fire medals and I shot a target patches.

I enjoy watching the new kids, with a rack and a half, standing next to Old Cold War farts my age with a 'sports rack'.

Talk about a paradox ;)

Back