• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Birth of a Giant, the designing and building of the Argus ASW aircraft

Interesting podcast on ASW with the Argus.

https://coldwarconversations.com/episode54/

Eye In The Sky said:
The meaning is lost of me...can you explain?

They would, while in a group in a mess, all drop flat on their backs with their arms and legs pointing up, when one of them would suddenly shout "Dead Ant". And yes, alcohol was a factor.

Old Sweat said:
They would, while in a group in a mess, all drop flat on their backs with their arms and legs pointing up, when one of them would suddenly shout "Dead Ant". And yes, alcohol was a factor.

So it is what I thought; the only time I'd seen (and done that) myself was going thru Cornwallis.  One of our MCpl's loved to do it to us when we were on our hourly 10-min smoke breaks in the Hollow Square.  We had 10 min's to march out from the back, smoke 'in a military fashion', put the butts out/away, and march back inside.  Dead Ant killed your chances of getting that dart downrange.

Dead Ant didn't continue from the VP, to the MP, and now the LRP Sqns/days.  Like many traditions...it just fell off somewhere.

Cool video of the aircraft development. My dad flew the Argus from July 57 until Aug 60 with 405 sqn in Greenwood. His crew did a 26 hr patrol in 1960, a record at that point as i recall being told (well before my time)

Old Sweat said:

OS, not sure that was big in light blue messes.

Definitely mixed green-blue though... :nod:

Great find, thank you,\. Actually a modern Neptune sized aircraft would make a nice addition to ASW aircraft.

No...no no no. LOL

Don't say that, we'll end up with a baby MPA like the Turkish Navy has (CASA 235s)...

Picked up a copy of the book The Canadair Argus: The Untold story of Canada's Cold War Maritime Hunter from the Greenwood NS aviation museum. Really enjoyed it. Lots of info,photos,and illustrations. The Argus had the range and loiter time to cover gaps in the ship/sub defensive line during the cuban missle crisis(deployed unbeknownst to Diefenbaker government). The museum also has the Argus tactical crew procedures trainer and a rotating cutaway of an Argus engine. Visit if you have the opportunity.
The Canadair Argus: The Untold Story of Canada's Cold War Maritime Hunter: BAKER, Major (Retired) Cary; CAMPBELL, Major (Retired) Bert: 9781927003060: Books - Amazon.ca

20220806074334_IMG_0797.JPG

Picked up a copy of the book The Canadair Argus: The Untold story of Canada's Cold War Maritime Hunter from the Greenwood NS aviation museum. Really enjoyed it. Lots of info,photos,and illustrations. The Argus had the range and loiter time to cover gaps in the ship/sub defensive line during the cuban missle crisis(deployed unbeknownst to Diefenbaker government). The museum also has the Argus tactical crew procedures trainer and a rotating cutaway of an Argus engine. Visit if you have the opportunity.
The Canadair Argus: The Untold Story of Canada's Cold War Maritime Hunter: BAKER, Major (Retired) Cary; CAMPBELL, Major (Retired) Bert: 9781927003060: Books - Amazon.ca

View attachment 72724
I remember when I was about 10 years old the Argus would transit across the Isthmus of Chignecto from the Fundy side to the Northumberland Strait side of Nova Scotia. They flew quite low, and we always waved at them. Occasionally, they waved back.

717 needs some TLC on the outside but it’s still something to stand next to and under one of these aircraft.

I think there’s a flight deck mock-up in the museum too?

Was struck by the technical skill it would have required to work on a radial piston engine. Lots of moving parts. Also how it bacame more difficult to get the 115 octane fuel so they had to use "soft coal" 100 octane.

Back