• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US to test Iron Dome

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
A proven system so it should be a no brainer.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/army-activates-iron-dome-batteries-at-fort-bliss-to-test-israeli-built-air-defense-systems-1.652063

It definitely has an excellent shoot-down rate, T6. :nod:

I have a former IDF friend who is there right now and posted a video to Snapchat. Will try to get her to text me the video so I can post it.

Holy crap. Looks like a sensationalized video game. Absolutely unreal 🤯

I suspect that commandoes are busy working Mossads hit list of HVT, namely commanders who oversee the rocket attacks. Not new just the israeli playbook.

Daylight attack and counter - impressive following the contrails - and the autonomy of the interceptors.

Cost per missile - $40,000 per Wiki. Expensive to counter a $100 mortar. Cheap to preserve a $10,000,000 apartment block full of people....

Given some of the tech that comes out of Israel, the US should have looked into partnering with Rafael on this particular project. A solid system, which is significantly more combat proven than anything else on the market, that can still be improved or modified. I know the US wants to economically stimulate American companies, encourage American job growth, etc etc.

But there are quite a few platforms in American service now which are license-built versions of foreign tech. The Naval Strike Missile, Joint Strike Missile, Stryker vehicle chassis, and now even their new frigate design. A license built version which the Americans can modify to their needs wouldn't be the worst defense world idea...

Consistently tested not only 'in real world conditions' - but against real world threats, in real world situations, on a regular basis. With deadly consequences if the system fails (it won't get them all, obviously.)

*I watched in real time, yesterday, as my friend who is in Israel right now broadcast what was happening live over text. I'm not kidding when I said it looked like a cheesy sensationalized video game... dozens of bright circles coming down onto the city, easily seen as it is dark outside. And these Iron Dome rockets firing up to intercept them at around a dozen at a time. It was actually jaw dropping to watch, even via cell phone.

Back