• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

Even better/ worse.

Good drills by the security guard.

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

I couldn't sit through the whole 3 mins...

Reply found in today's National Post.
We need a lot more of this and a lot less of that.

Opinion: Muslim leaders should've condemned Hamas instead of fomenting hate​

If they had spoken out against terrorism, their advocacy of the Palestinian cause would carry much more weight

Author of the article:
Raheel Raza and Mohammad Rizwan, Special to National Post
Published Nov 18, 2023 • Last updated 8 hours ago • 3 minute read
Raheel Raza and Mohammad Rizwan are members of the Council of Muslims Against Antisemitism.

Part of the reason we are seeing division, hatred and unrest in the streets of Montreal, Toronto and other communities across Canada is due to the collective failure of Muslim leaders, in Canada and around the world, to condemn the despicable Oct. 7 terror attack by Hamas on Israeli civilians.

It was a horrific and cowardly attack by a terrorist group — not by all Palestinians, Arabs or the wider Muslim community. It should have been condemned and contained immediately. Muslims who pride themselves as followers of a peaceful religion should have empathized and consoled the grieving Jews.

Muslim political and religious leaders, barring rare exceptions, chose to contextualize, equivocate and, in most cases, justify Hamas’s barbarity. What we have, as a result, is widespread hate bordering on violence in Canada — a country where communities have historically lived side-by-side in peace.

The situation got worse due to the statements made by community leaders like Amira Elghawaby, Canada’s special representative on combating Islamophobia, who did not hide her partisan and divisive outlook by clearly siding with the protesters on Canadian streets, characterizing them as “peaceful demonstrations,” even though we have seen people supporting Hamas, calling for genocide against Israeli Jews and harassing and intimidating Jewish-owned businesses.

On Twitter, Elghawaby approvingly cited a quote from a Toronto Star column reading, “The stories I have heard are both fantastical and true. Muslims (and others who silently sympathize with the loss of Palestinians lives) are being disciplined, maligned, isolated and targeted at work.”

Instead of reaching across the aisle and consoling the Jewish community, she has instead chosen to focus her public comments on rising Islamophobia.

... she makes it sounds as though it is Muslims who are the victims, while failing to mention the barbarity unleashed on Oct. 7. This is not leadership. This is not her mandate. Her job is to promote tolerance as enshrined in Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

UK anti-terrorist law
Proscription makes it a criminal offence to: belong to or invite support for a proscribed organisation; arrange a meeting in support of a proscribed organisation; and. wear clothing or carry articles in public which arouse reasonable suspicion that an individual is a member or supporter of the proscribed organisation.

HAMAS is proscribed in Canada

UK anti-terrorist law ...
... but we live in Canada - Canada's definition of terrorism (CCC)
... 83.18 (2) Participating in or contributing to an activity of a terrorist group includes
  • (a) providing, receiving or recruiting a person to receive training;
  • (b) providing or offering to provide a skill or an expertise for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a terrorist group;
  • (c) recruiting a person in order to facilitate or commit
    • (i) a terrorism offence, or
    • (ii) an act or omission outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be a terrorism offence;
  • (d) entering or remaining in any country for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a terrorist group; and
  • (e) making oneself, in response to instructions from any of the persons who constitute a terrorist group, available to facilitate or commit
    • (i) a terrorism offence, or
    • (ii) an act or omission outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would be a terrorism offence ...
83.221 (1) Every person who counsels another person to commit a terrorism offence without identifying a specific terrorism offence is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years.

... but we live in Canada - Canada's definition of terrorism (CCC)

Thanks for that.... I couldn't find the reference and started to doubt if I had seen it.

Still, "counselling another person to commit a terrorism offence" is a higher bar than the British one which just requires uttering or demonstrating support for a proscribed organization or terrorist act.

The Brit standard was set prior to the days of the Irish Free State and proscribed the singing of rebel songs such as "We're Off to Dublin".

... "counselling another person to commit a terrorism offence" is a higher bar than the British one which just requires uttering or demonstrating support for a proscribed organization or terrorist act ...
I'm not as familiar with hate crime law/jurisprudence, but if the will were there (and we know exactly what she said in its entirety, not just the edited X/Twitter version), maybe a "calling for mo' genocide" charge would be closer to the mark. I say that knowing others know WAY more about the nuances than I do, though.

I'm not as familiar with hate crime law/jurisprudence, but if the will were there (and we know exactly what she said in its entirety, not just the edited X/Twitter version), maybe a "calling for mo' genocide" charge would be closer to the mark. I say that knowing others know WAY more about the nuances than I do, though.

As a non-lawyer myself I assume "nuance" to be a "get out of jail free card" in a system predicated on the presumption of innocence and reasonable doubt.

To wit: "jihad".

Has this kind of behaviour always been so rampant?

Not that I saw locally.

I don't think our police ever had to deal with this amount of hate crime.

You read the newspaper, and books from the library. Watched the Six O'Clock news.
Then got on with life.

No 24/7 political echo chambers keeping people fired up.

That's what made life simpler.

Do your work. Live your life. Simple as that.

I love watching accountability in action.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Well then you will likely love this:

The good thing to come out of the pandemic is the ability to spot these lunatics in public now. They typically wear masks everywhere they go, indoors, outdoors, driving alone. Along with being weak mentally, most of them are pretty weak physically as well.
Excuse me what?

Where I’m at, Covid is coming back. I’ve seen folks (in uniform) wear masks again because they got it, and don’t want to spread it to others.

So, are they weak mentally and physically now?

Back