• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

Toronto should read zero into any federal promise until they have the cheque cashed and money in hand. The liberal government cannot be trusted with the most basic of honest intentions. It's not in their nature to keep promises.

Long term, done right, that could be the answer. Short term? Recipe for rapid "gentrification" and rural alienation as people get rapidly priced out of their hometowns by the influx of of city money.
I had a chance to move to Prince Edward County a few years ago. Nice rural county with a few small towns. Then it 'got found' by urban folk. Now it's all art shoppes, wineries and bistros selling unicorn burgers. All of a sudden it was priced out of reach. Similar changes have happening in places like Carleton Place, Barrie and lots of other communities.

Not everyone wants to live in a small community and, of those who do, many want to make it into smaller version of the city they came from. Not everyone care work-from-home. Rural connectivity is a challenge but much less so in small to medium sized towns. Most medium-sized communities have decent road connections.

Airports? Unless we are willing to subsidize scheduled regional airlines like Ontario did with NorOntair, many short hauls are money losers, expensive and prone to cancellation. Getting slots at places like Pearson is already a challenge.

Invest in trains, it makes so much more sense than planes or cars. Its also substantially better for the environment. The problem is the high upfront costs associated with them.

Invest in trains, it makes so much more sense than planes or cars. Its also substantially better for the environment. The problem is the high upfront costs associated with them.
And land,....and people to use them. I see lots of GO trains go by that are mostly empty.

Invest in trains, it makes so much more sense than planes or cars.

I love VIA Rail and GO Trains, and GO buses.

UP Express 8 minutes to Union.
$2.51 on your Presto card.

The capital and operating costs are both blowouts. The problem is that trains operate on absolutely fixed monopolistic routes which are expensive to build, whereas buses have comparatively unparalleled flexibility and use multi-purpose thoroughfares. Eventually the operating deficits of trains cause transit authorities to start cannibalizing bus routes, and things just get worse.

That's something I've been thinking about. In my hometown (and I'm sure all across the country) there's no shortage low key 3-8 unit multires buildings, made from converted "stately" homes - two story sprawling brick pre-wars. They'd be out of place in a neighbourhood of cookie cutter bungalows, but anything with any size variety at all they blend right in. But you'd never get approval to build them.
I lived in one of those apartments made from a "stately home"... I'd rather live in a building made to be apartments.

Three to four story low rise buildings don't hurt the communities they are in, apart from the fact they allow in filthy "renters"... Nothing is worse in a respectable community than people who are too poor to buy a home.

$10 million in Toronto.

Detached. 3 beds. 2 baths.

Or you could just rent for under $5000 per month. That's pretty much in line with commercial property in the area that range from $25 to $40 per sq ft. While property is running high these days I don't see how a buyer can recoup costs at $10 million.

Or you could just rent for under $5000 per month. That's pretty much in line with commercial property in the area that range from $25 to $40 per sq ft. While property is running high these days I don't see how a buyer can recoup costs at $10 million.

In some cases, having the missing piece for someone trying to accumulate a larger collection of land lets you extract a significantly higher price.

In some cases, having the missing piece for someone trying to accumulate a larger collection of land lets you extract a significantly higher price.
sculptured software monopoly GIF

Well, there is something happening in the neighbourhood. But that was a larger lot. All it needed was a zoning change.

I suppose most like to keep an eye on local housing markets.

This one ( Toronto - Bloor West Village area ) sold for $1.9-million (May, 2023).

Toronto ( Danorth and Vic Park area ) two-bedroom semi went for $830,000

This one ( Toronto - Yonge and Lawrence area ) got $2.368 Million.

etc...

Back