• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transition to Municipal Police Force

A lot of Federal acts- like the migratory birds contravention act contain authorities that allow any person that a minister decides needs to be an inspector or investigator to be designated to be one- but automatically include the RCMP.

So without anyone designating us as investigators we are already empowered to do the work. Whereas others have to seek out a designation to do so.

It’s less and less often in new legislation.

For example:

Attachments

• 32C93915-3273-4A57-85B6-FFBD267C3134.png
    32C93915-3273-4A57-85B6-FFBD267C3134.png
    421.2 KB · Views: 5
I hate to say this, but I think Quebec has the right idea with how they have their police set up.

Municipal forces makes a lot of sense for many things, one of the nicest being officers stay in one location their career instead of being moved around the country (a complaint the CAF should understand all too well). However one of the biggest weaknesses with it is the fact many smaller cities struggle with more serious crimes such as murder. Leaving crimes like that to a provincial force which can have the expertise needed is logical.

Even a provincial police force can struggle with posting people all over the province. Unifying all police into one would likely result in serious attrition.
Not sure about attrition from getting posted provincially. Yes some might book it, but if there's only one job in province, leavers would not likely to have as many options to move out to "rural" Ontario, as it currently stands. Ontario municipal departments are losing people in droves to the OPP, with country living, sometimes less busy detachments, and ending dealing with the urban decay of the GTA - all luring people away. Further, if OPP was the only show in province, people currently stuck with long/affordable commutes outside Toronto, would have the eventual opportunity to not have to quit one job, to move to a shorter commute. Working in the big city could be a shared experience, rather than a career long "sentence" (in the view of some, not all). Seems to work in New South Wales, Australia - where the NSW Police cover the entire state including the big city of Sydney. but I could be wrong - haven't had the chance to ask one of the Aussies to see how it works.

Ontario municipal departments are losing people in droves to the OPP, with country living, sometimes less busy detachments, and ending dealing with the urban decay of the GTA - all luring people away.

The call volume is back breaking. Toronto alone averages 3,000 9-1-1 calls a day.

The fundamental question I asked still wasn’t answered though- why would Alberta Provincial Police, or Edmonton Police, or Calgary, or OPP, or Halifax or what have you send several members at a time to go work in a territory that’s 100% not their problem?
A sense of national unity and togetherness? Probably for the same reason most of the country is ok with the disproportionate transfer of money through equalization.

A sense of national unity and togetherness? Probably for the same reason most of the country is ok with the disproportionate transfer of money through equalization.

Right, so there’s no evident answer to you either then.

yikes! last time i looked at a TPS roster, the divisional cars were few and far between, which can't help if still the same.....

Toronto has the highest number of residents served per officer among other major North American cities

That would be the census population. Not including the "millions of daily commuters and visitors."

A call volume like that has to take a toll over the years. Especially when there is no end in sight, and nowhere to go.

Yup, I get it.

Short rotations are fine as a relief for long term members who need leave, but communities deserve policing primarily provided by people who will work in the community for a few years. My understanding is Mounties rotate in for two or three years in a given community up north, and get backfilled by relief team members when it comes time to fly south and burn a month’s leave.

The fundamental question I asked still wasn’t answered though- why would Alberta Provincial Police, or Edmonton Police, or Calgary, or OPP, or Halifax or what have you send several members at a time to go work in a territory that’s 100% not their problem? Even if the salary is paid back by the feds, how does the premier of Alberta or mayor of Calgary justify ten or twenty officers at a time, indefinitely, being sent away to police somewhere that’s not their home province/community? And all the aforementioned logistical issues.
Not to mention having to schlep back and forth for court over the couple years following a posting. The logistics and costs would be significant.

if OPP was the only show in province, people currently stuck with long/affordable commutes outside Toronto, would have the eventual opportunity to not have to quit one job, to move to a shorter commute. Working in the big city could be a shared experience, rather than a career long "sentence" (in the view of some, not all).
It would work better in one direction than the other. Cops in/near the city might get a reprieve, but others living rurally a sentence. I suppose if nothing else, it would encourage members to live so far away from the GTA that it would be beyond even a long commute. With 12-hour shifts, it is not uncommon for members to live far away from their detachments. Rumours have it some live what I would call extreme distances away and share an apartment with others to 'hot bunk'. It's a long way from having to live within your detachment area when I started. It's a little unfair for the communities, particularly smaller ones, and for the members who still live close by.

I'm not too sure "droves" is particularly accurate. I don't know annual numbers but they just graduated an 'experienced officer' class of 12. They do consciously limit the numbers to prevent chiefs from going to the Minister. The previous experience/service of the members wasn't stated.

Rumours have it some live what I would call extreme distances away and share an apartment with others to 'hot bunk'. It's a long way from having to live within your detachment area when I started. It's a little unfair for the communities, particularly smaller ones, and for the members who still live close by.

This practice isn't even limited to small Detachments. I have colleagues whose homes and families are on Vancouver Island who share an apartment or basement suite here in the LMD with other members on other rotations so they don't have to live here.

Can't say I blame them, despite growing up here the Lower Mainland is a disaster and I want out. Much like many of my colleagues.

This practice isn't even limited to small Detachments. I have colleagues whose homes and families are on Vancouver Island who share an apartment or basement suite here in the LMD with other members on other rotations so they don't have to live here.

Can't say I blame them, despite growing up here the Lower Mainland is a disaster and I want out. Much like many of my colleagues.
Sad, but I can understand. We have members who are quite happy to live and work in the GTA and do highway patrol work, and good on them. Where the social change seems to be is in outlying areas, but not that far. Places like Muskoka, Haliburton, Prince Edward County, etc. which, in my day, members would kill to be posted to. Now they are 'too small'. It seems some of the aspects of joining a deployed service was lost on them. On the other hand, spousal employment is different now. Back in the day it was a job at a local store, bank, etc. If your spouse was a nurse or teacher - golden. Now, many careers demand proximity to large urban centres. Many similar issues faced by the CAF it seems.

With 12-hour shifts, it is not uncommon for members to live far away from their detachments. Rumours have it some live what I would call extreme distances away and share an apartment with others to 'hot bunk'.

We worked twenty 12-hour shifts every six weeks.
You only had to "hot bunk" seven times during each six-week cycle.

Firefighters switched from 10 / 14 to 24-hour tours. So, hot bunking is no longer an issue for them.

Our police worked 10 hour day-time, 10 hour evening, and 8 hour night-time. But, from what I understand, it has improved since then.

It's a long way from having to live within your detachment area when I started. It's a little unfair for the communities, particularly smaller ones, and for the members who still live close by.

We had a Residency Requirement to get hired. Even wanted to know what high school you went to before they would let you write the civil service exam. I'm thankful they did, or heaven knows where I would have had to go searching for a job.

You also had to be a city resident to keep your job. But, that requirement ended years ago.
There was talk of re-instating it after 9/11. But, it didn't happen.

If your spouse was a nurse or teacher - golden.

My ex-wife is Director of Quality, Performance, Professional Practice and Chief Nursing Executive at a major downtown hospital.

Did a lot better in her profession than I did in mine.

Now, many careers demand proximity to large urban centres.

Maybe a lot of young people grew up watching TV shows like "Adam-12" and "EMERGENCY!". I bet alot them wanted to work in a big city.

I remember sitting in school and seeing the emergency services racing by, and always wondering, "Where are they going? Probably some place more interesting than here!" :)

Very common throughout the prairies to circumvent residency requirements and on call periods.

Of course the Mayor has come out and says she's sticking with the RCMP.

I'm not sure anything more than the egos of the decision makers were taken into account.

The dumpster fire burns on.
This now actually makes things seem less certain to me than it was yesterday,

How do YOU folks feel?

Of course the Mayor has come out and says she's sticking with the RCMP.

I'm not sure anything more than the egos of the decision makers were taken into account.

The dumpster fire burns on.
What a shit show.

As a friend of mine put it, no way the next city to start it’s own service is going to have Mounties banging on the door to be early lateral hires.

This now actually makes things seem less certain to me than it was yesterday,

How do YOU folks feel?
The group chats I'm in are pissed off beyond belief.

We'll see what happens when I appear at work tomorrow.

Back