• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OJE FOR OCDT

yolotuber

Reaction score
Hello,
I completed mod and 2 , and now I have like 2 free summers. What would be valuable OJE/OJT and possible for my trade (00183).
Thanks

You'll most likely be attached in a Sqn's Ops cell.

Just curious, what do you mean by "completed mod and 2"?

Do you live near a base with a flying squadron? That would be the best experience - how the day-to-day operations work, etc. You could potentially get in some flights as well.

Just spent about two years on OJE waiting for pilot training. My advice is to pick a base located in a decent-sized city or very close to one.

Since waiting time are so long would it be possible do to army phases like the new infantry officer course. I'm a soldier first and I would not say no to more infantry training.

Since waiting time are so long would it be possible do to army phases like the new infantry officer course. I'm a soldier first and I would not say no to more infantry training.
Doubtful. The CAF has to reserve those spots for Infantry Officer candidates. You can (and probably should) look at courses like land and sea survival, Basic Electronic Warfare, and Basic Space Operations Course.

I'm gonna probably go against the grain and say it would be ideal if you could get stuck somewhere that seems completely not job-related, perhaps within your element. I'm biased towards finance* of course, but literally anything that will let you see some aspect of the RCAF that you won't get to see/interact with once you are trade-qualified. Putting someone who's going to get lots of experience on the operations side of the house might prepare them better for their first job, it offers not a lot of extra in the long view of things.

What's the difference between 4 years of OFP experience or 4 years of OFP ops experience + 2 summers of OJT ops experience? Probably not much...... how about 4 years of OFP experience vs 4 years of OFP experience + 2 summers in a Wing Comptroller office, or a Base Tn office, or a Base Supply office? I'd think the latter is going be better as they take on more responsibility and find themselves having to make plans that consider finance, or transport, or supply, or all three. The higher up you go, the more of a "generalist" you have to be. So I think what we do with OJTs is a wasted opportunity, they'll never get another chance to learn the other side, they'll have all kinds of time to learn their own realm.

For a pilot, I don't know what that would be, I don't know jack about the RCAF, but if I had to point in a general direction, helping out in any of the Base logistical services such as transport, maintenance, finance, supply, human resources, etc. would probably be a good place to start. Far too many on the Ops side that are oblivious to their logistical chain (and vice versa, far too many Log types that are oblivious to operations).

Being the person that has a schmick of a clue about the other side can, in the future, easily make you the person at the table that seems to always come up with the best/easiest solutions to what many people thought was a complex problem.

*While no one gets any real finance experience and the DLN courses you get are absolute shyte, everyone ends up getting affected by it whether they are given financial authorities or not. And someone who understands what's going on behind the curtains of their budget can do a lot of good for their mission and the people that they are leading. And then when you become a CO or Ops staff officer, you're able to solve problems that align with your goals and not be spoon-fed a suboptimal solution from someone who doesn't understand your problems.

To followup, I managed to get an OJT at CSA . Only other interesting OJT seemed to be 427 or CIC. All other folks I know are sitting around and and watching YouTube and tiktok all day long.

To followup, I managed to get an OJT at CSA . Only other interesting OJT seemed to be 427 or CIC. All other folks I know are sitting around and and watching YouTube and tiktok all day long.
Hi!
Do you mind if I ask how did you manage tu get the OJT at CSA?

I had a teacher who applied to become an astronaut and ranked pretty high so he had contacts there. I took an extra space science class. There's a military attaché working with CSA so it was really helpful for the paperwork

Hi!
Do you mind if I ask how did you manage tu get the OJT at CSA?
I was a Reg Force Naval Warfare Officer, and while working at a Naval Reserve Unit as an Administration Office, I had a total of 5 (maybe 6) jr pilots trainees working for me in my ships office as support to my clerks for various periods of time. A couple were there just during the summer between semester, others were there for 2 years on and off between pilot training courses.

Anyways, sure, working as clerks may not be "cool", but it was meaningful work. We actually needed the help and these guys ended up being integral parts our team ensuring we actually got out work done on time. Many even came up with new procedures to make things work better. Their time there, while not as cool as being at CSA, was far more rewarding than being on YouTube or tiktok all day. Ive met plenty of people who've been stuck on PAT platoon doing literally nothing all day for months, and after a while they all find they'd much rather be doing office work than nothing at all.

Plus, NRDs are super chill, we'd extend lunch hour in order to finish whatever board games we were playing at lunch time, we'd go out for sushi at lunch all the time, and we'd play ball hockey or basketball at least twice a week.

So, while I'm not necessarily saying "go work at your local NRD", what I'm trying to convey is that the subject of your work isn't always as important as the quality of life you get while doing it.

So, while I'm not necessarily saying "go work at your local NRD", what I'm trying to convey is that the subject of your work isn't always as important as the quality of life you get while doing it.
Following onto your point, I'd add that sometimes the best jobs are ones you weren't even considering at the time, or ones that aren't marketed as "cool" jobs.

To OP and other folks looking for places to OJE/OJT, all experience is useful - not just what you think is relevant to your trade. Who knows which contacts you'll make while on OJE in a random job that will help you later in your career.

I had a teacher who applied to become an astronaut and ranked pretty high so he had contacts there. I took an extra space science class. There's a military attaché working with CSA so it was really helpful for the paperwork
It must be nice.
Do you know if there is a way to get there if one doesn't have a teacher or contacts at CSA?

Following onto your point, I'd add that sometimes the best jobs are ones you weren't even considering at the time, or ones that aren't marketed as "cool" jobs.

To OP and other folks looking for places to OJE/OJT, all experience is useful - not just what you think is relevant to your trade. Who knows which contacts you'll make while on OJE in a random job that will help you later in your career.
I don't know what I'm going to do as OJE/OJT, but I definitely don't want to sit around being on social media all day.
From what you just said and @Lumber 's comment above, I'm willing to do anything meaningful and rewarding, ''cool'' or ''not cool'' it's still an experience.
So, thank you so much

I’m in Civi U ROTP, I completed BMOQ last summer and I will likely have OJE this summer. I’m in the aerospace control trade and I would like to go down the air weapons stream. Would my unit send me wherever is closest/cheapest or do I have any say?

Back